post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: Merc, C270 CDI, 2002, Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Some sort if valve

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to the Benz world.

I purchased a W203 C270 CDi

I have to replace the thermostat recently. I have also noticed a rattle coming from an area just sitting behind the oil filter to the left. Assuming, the previous owner or mechanic dropped something down into this area. was having a feel around to see if I can remove the foreign object. I couldn't feel anything loose except for some sort of valve. It was protruding down and loose. You could push it back up but it would come down straight away.

Am i right in thinking this is the Swirl Flap valve? If so is this supposed to be connected to some sort of rod control?
I couldn't get any pictures due to the tight space. If anyone can supply me with some images of this section and how it supposed to look and work, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Hi Robert - welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

I'm sorry I can;t help there - we did not get those C270's here int he USA.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
All done thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: MB 180 W120(1962) MB C200 W203(2007)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Could you tell us exactly what you did? Others may benefit from it in future, That is the whole purpose of this forum. We share our experiences.
rudeney likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hi, sorry for the late reply when i said " all done!" i meant updating my profile.

In regards to the Valve i have found out it is the linage to the swirl flap coming loose from the linkage. My guess the intake mani is going to have to come off. Swirl flap delete or repair ;s its the closest one to the front of the car. just the one i think. can any one tell me how this will effect the drive ? boost leak ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
There are two things going on inside the intake manifold. There are "swirl flaps", and there are "runners". The swirl flaps are engaged at lower engine speeds to create more turbulence which generates a more consistent air/fuel mixture. At higher RPMs, since the incoming air is turbulent enough, the flaps are opened fully. The "runners" are used to vary the length of the intake manifold path. At higher speeds, a shorter length is desired for better efficiency. At lower speed, a longer length is better for improving low-end torque.

I think that when either the swirl flap or runner actuators or linkages fail, they are locked into the "high RPM" position. This means the engine will perform as normal at higher speeds, but will not have as much torque at lower speeds/take-off.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in