LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 c240 - No fuel pressure

Hello everybody. First, I'd like to introduce myself since it seems "PC" to do so seeing that I'm a rookie. My name is Joshua, I am from San Jose, CA and have always been a huge fan of MB and have finally purchased my first one (and am determined for it to not be my last). That being said, my new toy... although not text book impressive...but I love it anyways is a 2002 c240 with 130k miles at time of purchase. Thank you all for having me in your forum. Greetings being concluded I'll move right along to my issue.
I wanna note that I have scoured just about every thread involving my chassis and although I've come across allot of potential helping words... None have helped me narrow it down completely.
So...it all started with a loud humming/buzzing noise coming from what seemed to be direct or from the fuel sending assembly under the back drivers side seat. Specifically from the Fuel Pressure Sensor on the top of the cap. It would not make the noise until the car was about 10 min into being warmed up. After about a week of this happening I ended up finding that the fuel pump cap(on the passenger side)was not screwed down all the way... So I screwed it down all the way and made sure it was facing the proper direction, which it was initially also. Not saying this caused the main issue that I'm getting to, but am including the information for details sake. Fast forward about 4 days later, I am leaving the gas station and upon pulling out notice that when I pressed the gas pedal down it seemed to not be getting any. But after a second it got the gas needed and I proceeded out of the driveway. Well about a half mile down the road same thing happened... Was not getting any gas... Car came to a stop (don't know if engine died before it came to a stop or after) and will not start since.
So... I replaced the fuel filter about a month ago... So am pretty confident it isn't that. I checked the fuel pressure... Nothing. The fuel pump Does hum for a few seconds upon cycling key...and even after several key cycles.... Still no fuel pressure. Engine turns over and over... But no start.
I hope and think I have included as much info as possible about my situation. And I would really appreciate some help/advice/opinions on this. Thank you all who take the time to help me out with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Preciado View Post
Hello everybody. First, I'd like to introduce myself since it seems "PC" to do so seeing that I'm a rookie. My name is Joshua, I am from San Jose, CA and have always been a huge fan of MB and have finally purchased my first one (and am determined for it to not be my last). That being said, my new toy... although not text book impressive...but I love it anyways is a 2002 c240 with 130k miles at time of purchase. Thank you all for having me in your forum. Greetings being concluded I'll move right along to my issue.
I wanna note that I have scoured just about every thread involving my chassis and although I've come across allot of potential helping words... None have helped me narrow it down completely.
So...it all started with a loud humming/buzzing noise coming from what seemed to be direct or from the fuel sending assembly under the back drivers side seat. Specifically from the Fuel Pressure Sensor on the top of the cap. It would not make the noise until the car was about 10 min into being warmed up. After about a week of this happening I ended up finding that the fuel pump cap(on the passenger side)was not screwed down all the way... So I screwed it down all the way and made sure it was facing the proper direction, which it was initially also. Not saying this caused the main issue that I'm getting to, but am including the information for details sake. Fast forward about 4 days later, I am leaving the gas station and upon pulling out notice that when I pressed the gas pedal down it seemed to not be getting any. But after a second it got the gas needed and I proceeded out of the driveway. Well about a half mile down the road same thing happened... Was not getting any gas... Car came to a stop (don't know if engine died before it came to a stop or after) and will not start since.
So... I replaced the fuel filter about a month ago... So am pretty confident it isn't that. I checked the fuel pressure... Nothing. The fuel pump Does hum for a few seconds upon cycling key...and even after several key cycles.... Still no fuel pressure. Engine turns over and over... But no start.
I hope and think I have included as much info as possible about my situation. And I would really appreciate some help/advice/opinions on this. Thank you all who take the time to help me out with this.
Update: I just replaced the fuel pump... And it's doing the same thing... Please somebody help...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Sorry I didn't know how to reply or add to this without quoting it... But I just replaced the fuel pump and having the same problem. Please somebody help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
A common fault with the M112 V6 is a bad crank position sensor.
When this fails ,fuel supply will be cut by the ECU .
Not saying that is your problem for sure ,but the issues with the fuel pump could be a side issue to the engine not starting.
Crank but no start is often due to Crank Position sensor not sending a signal to the ECU.
Usually it happens when the car is hot ,or when it has been parked for just a few minutes.
If your car has not had a new one fitted ,it would be wise to do so,,,genuine Bosch only,,,
Check for any codes too.
Good luck.

Last edited by Benzyle; 04-23-2019 at 02:05 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzyle View Post
A common fault with the M112 V6 is a bad crank position sensor.
When this fails ,fuel supply will be cut by the ECU .
Not saying that is your problem for sure ,but the issues with the fuel pump could be a side issue to the engine not starting.
Crank but no start is often due to Crank Position sensor not sending a signal to the ECU.
Usually it happens when the car is hot ,or when it has been parked for just a few minutes.
If your car has not had a new one fitted ,it would be wise to do so,,,genuine Bosch only,,,
Check for any codes too.
Good luck.
Thank you for your insight. It is much appreciated. I think that is going to be my next step. But I did check for codes and got nothing. I didn't try this earlier because I thought if it was the sensor than a code would have came up. I'm gonna try though
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:23 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Hi Joshua, and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

Note that a bad CPS does not always trigger an MIL. Also, even with a bad CPS, you should have pressure on the fuel rail after turning the key to position 2 ("run") but before starting the engine. If not, then you have a problem with the pump, sender unit, power to the pump, filter or lines. Since you say you replaced the filter, did you use a genuine MBZ filter or aftermarket?
Benzyle likes this.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeney View Post
Hi Joshua, and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

Note that a bad CPS does not always trigger an MIL. Also, even with a bad CPS, you should have pressure on the fuel rail after turning the key to position 2 ("run") but before starting the engine. If not, then you have a problem with the pump, sender unit, power to the pump, filter or lines. Since you say you replaced the filter, did you use a genuine MBZ filter or aftermarket?
Hello and thank you for the welcome. I tried updating it but didn't know I had to switch to full version. I'll do that now though 😊
On the other hand, I also was wondering if the no fuel pressure made sense with that too. I'm still trying... Any help is appreciated
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:04 AM

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: Amethyst 2001 C320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi Joshua, and welcome to the forums!

I had a problem with my 2001 C320 where I had an intermittent fuel pump before she eventually gave up. Then when I replaced the fuel pump and filter I discovered that I still didn't have pressure...turns out my old fuel pump had some debris that let loose and clogged the fuel lines and prevented the car from getting any pressure. Yours might have done the same.

Regards,
n0alpha
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0alpha View Post
Hi Joshua, and welcome to the forums!

I had a problem with my 2001 C320 where I had an intermittent fuel pump before she eventually gave up. Then when I replaced the fuel pump and filter I discovered that I still didn't have pressure...turns out my old fuel pump had some debris that let loose and clogged the fuel lines and prevented the car from getting any pressure. Yours might have done the same.

Regards,
n0alpha
Thank you. Now I'm starting to think that might be it too. Cuz now I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and about 3 days ago I replaced the Crank Position Sensor... And still doing the same thing. Engine is turning over and turning over, but no start and no fuel pressure to the engine... Ugghhhh .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
sorry to hear still not going,,,at least you know the cps is good and you wont get stranded on the side of the Road.....good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in