- we did not adjust the rod.
- I did not see a new vacuum seal. Is that something I should have received and where does sit go?
- Yes, the engine was running. The vacuum pump is pulling a vacuum.
- Regarding the spring nut, I actually don't know where it was because I had my sons put the master cylinder on and bleed the brakes while I was at the hospital with my mother. When I got home, they were finishing up. That's when I noticed the issue. I worked on it for a couple hours with no luck. My son is a truck diesel mechanic but doesn't have any experience with Mercedes brakes and master cylinders. However I saw putting on the master cylinder a pretty simple job and didn't give it too much thought. A problem I noticed while watching the car run that was brand new was a small oil leak coming from behind the engine. There was a small hose on the vacuum pump that had come off and was spraying small amounts of oil out. It almost seemed like a vent on the vacuum pump and this small hose was under vacuum sucking excess oil out of the pump (just guessing) but I put the hose back on (pain the the butt to get to). I have no idea why that hose came off but it wasn't like that before. I've been wondering if my boys somehow caused that to occur by pumping the brakes without the engine running and pressurized the vacuum pump and blew that hose off.
- Let me share some more as background... the master cylinder I purchased was not OEM. I purchased it from AutohauAZ where I often buy parts and was a Metelli. When it came, it had 3 threaded ports and my original had only 2. The 3rd port on the new one was not a pressure port and seemed like it might be a return port for some cars. I called Autohaus and verified that the master cylinder was the right one for the car. They confirmed it was and said that all the ones they had had teh 3ed port and that I needed to plug the 3rd one if I didn't needed it. So I did.
Ok, that's a bunch of info. When I read this thread at 4am this morning, I thought I saw more content that has now been deleted - something about must be OEM master cylinder and some other stuff - and then when I went to write this, it wasn't there any more. So I don't know if I accidently deleted it between when I read it earlier till now. In any case, thank you guys for supporting me.... my mom is still in the hospital and I'm headed there after I finish this; between that and car problems (I have another Mercedes, e320 CDI with an issue also that I'm trying to work on at the same time) I'm running on empty!!