post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2017
Vehicle: 2005 C230 Sedan, 6 Speed MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm curious regarding the purpose of the connectors, but I have no plans to use them. I think you are correct that they would be used for antennas.

I switched gears last night and turned my attention to the sunshade. I had researched the topic on several boards, and I could not find a good DIY for fixing mine. Some people repair their shades with a push and others never have figured out how to fix their's. My independent mechanic agreed to look at mine as he has encountered some with broken parts that he could fix by welding. Mine didn't have any broken parts and he suggested that the problem is in the transmission. (The motor works fine.)

I took the transmission apart and realigned the gears. I hooked it up to the car and it actually ran. Then it made a noise and stopped. I took it apart and the black plastic gear had come off. I reassembled it again. This time I put some tension on the coil spring under the metal gear before inserting the black plastic gear. (The photos show the process.) After putting the cover on the transmission, I looked the unit over and I am beginning to wonder whether a part is missing. The shaft the black plastic gear rotates on is not locked in place on one side. I wonder whether this can allow the gear to wobble and detach from one of the metal gears. In one post I found, someone speculated that the shaft needed a circlip or some other device to hold it in place.

I am going to test the unit again later today. If my current reassembly didn't do the trick, it appears my options are to replace the plastic gear wheel (they are available on eBay or buy a used motor and hope I get a good one.

I have also posted a better photo of the camera installation.

As always, any suggestions or shared experiences are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5599.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2261001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5601.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2261009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5609.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2261017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5610.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2261025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5608.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2261033  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I found a motor for sale on eBay. It is interesting to note that the motor for sale on eBay appears to have a flat metal plate (first two pictures) over the same location where my motor has a bare spindled sticking up through one side of the motor (third picture.) Maybe the plate broke off of mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ebay Motor 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2261065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebay Motor.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	2261113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5611.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	2261121  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I found a set of Mercedes rubber mats on Craigslist for $35. They are a nice upgrade considering the condition of the carpeted mats that were in the car when I bought it. (The right rear passenger mat was missing and the driver's mat was falling apart.) Since this will be my daily driver when I finally get it on the road, the rubber mats are a more appropriate product.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5612.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2261673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5613.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2261681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5614.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	2261689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2261697  
PhilBiker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I made some progress over the last couple of nights.

I received the replacement Crux Interface (Crux SWRBM-57C) from Crutchfield and soldered it to my Kenwood wiring harness last night. I've attached some photos including a picture of the "Quadlock" connector that attached to the wiring harness in my 05.

It seems to be working well although I have not tested all the controls. Here are a few observations - I will appreciate any extra information anyone can offer on these issues:

1. The illumination of the head unit does not appear to dim when I dim the gauge cluster. I connected an orange wire marked illumination on the Crux harness to the orange with white stripe wire on the Kenwood harness which is designated for the illumination connection. So, I think I have it connected correctly. It may be that the Kenwood unit is unable to interpret the signal from the Mercedes harness.

2. I can change the volume and radio station using the steering wheel controls. I can also change the track on a CD. The Ipod I connected to the system was not compatible with my navigation unit, so I don't know whether the steering wheel controls work with the Ipod.

3. I was able to answer and hang up my cell phone using the steering wheel controls.

4. The rear camera turned on when I put the car in reverse.

5. When the car was connected to the OEM radio, the radio station and CD track information displayed in the center message center. It does not display through the Crux interface. I suspect that task was just too complex for an aftermarket solution that is required to work with many different cars. However, if there is a way to address this, please let me know.

6. I cannot think of any way to retain the OEM 6-disk changer. However, I think the extra space in the glove compartment will compensate for any disappointment I feel on that issue.

7. When I turn the key to the first position, the system sounds good. When I turn it to position two, I do hear a high-pitched hum in the system. I hope that does not persist when the car is running.

8. With regards to the problems some folks have with radio reception, I offer the following. Although I was inside a garage, the radio reception was about as good as it is in my other cars. I'll wait until I drive it outside and have an opportunity to fully assess it. I connected a blue wire from the Kenwood unit designated as the power antenna turn on lead to a blue wire on the Crux harness. I think this turned on the antenna amplifier in the car.

Taken as a whole, I think the Crux interface exceeded my expectations and I appreciate the support the Crux technical staff and Crutchfield provided in helping me install it properly.

Tomorrow night I plan to complete the installation. My major issues are locating the GPS antenna and the blue tooth microphone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5631.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2264369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5632.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2264377  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Instead of using the Crux illumination circuit, try tapping into the ashtray light. That should fix the dimming issue. i think the Crux only does on/off - no dimming.

You will not get display on the cluster's MFD - that is just beyond most of these aftermarket interfaces.

You may need to install a "ground isolator" to solve the ignition switch static issue. It's just a capacitor, but sometimes when you have multiple voltage inputs (like the vehicle wiring and the Crux) , you get this.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks as always for the guidance. I sent a question to the Crux technical support team. If they don't have a fix, I'll switch the illumination to the cigarette lighter before I button everything up.

I read some more about the Kenwood units and Ipod interface. Many people reported that they experienced problems when using generic cables for the Ipod that were solved when they switched to a Kenwood cable. I may need to shell out a few more bucks and use a real Kenwood cable.

I also want to check if the hum/ground loop only occurred when the Ipod was in the system and charging.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I went out to finish the installation tonight and the system started acting strangely. I lost the steering wheel controls, and the unit would suddenly begin to cycle on and off as if the power was being cut. I'm planning to contact Crutchfield tomorrow and see if they have suggestions. The "black box" that holds the electronic components was hot to the touch and that may be part of the issue.

From what I can tell, there is a pretty high failure rate on these units and I may have gotten hold of one that was defective. It was better to find out now than after I closed up the dash.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The sunshade motor arrived Thursday and I attached to the sunshade mechanism last night. I put the parcel shelf back into the car this morning. It's time to check that one off my list of fixes.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:47 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Progress!

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The rear seat is back in the car. I'm glad I fixed the sunshade, but the amount of labor involved was outrageous.

The wiring for the GPS antenna, microphone and back up camera have all been run to the space in the dash behind the head unit. I'm waiting for the replacement Crux "black box" to show up. I decided to add the HD radio module to my Kenwood DNX 6180. I found a used unit (KTC-HR300) on eBay for about $75 shipped. That is scheduled to arrive Thursday. So, the car should be on the road next weekend.

I will still need to fix a rip in the driver's seat, but the upholstery shop is booked until mid October.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in