BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2016
Vehicle: 2003 c230 Kompressor 1.8L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down c230 Leaking sunroof

Just happened up a nice used c230 Kompressor - Has some minor electrical issues - I'm new to this site and forum sites in general. Figured I would give it a go. The sunroof is stuck closed. Fuse appears to be good. Need to find a way to open the sunroof so I can get to the drains. I have a bad leak, and believe it has to do with the sunroofs drains being clogged. Any Ideas>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E Saloon. M103 lump.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
If i am right you do have a manual roof opener some place . But it might mean removing the head lining that just covers the sliding panal in the roof. Welcome to you by the way . And hope you find what you need . Members will help you as they drift through.. When you get to the drain holes dont push items down the hole that are to large , it can dislodge the drain pipe .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks a bunch - new to MB

Thanks so much, love this car, trying to figure out if that is the source of the leak. Know of any other places that water may come in? The guy I got the car from had to take the interior apart to get the 5 gallons of water out. He had to go through all wiring and harnesses. Not sure if it is a fuse or if the sunroof uses a relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 2004/5 W203
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Leaf matter will get everywhere Jonathan.

Look in around the engine bay and down near where the bonnet hinges are and the drains around the wipers and front of the windscreen.

There are nooks and crannies everywhere and if you are in a leafy suburb with a damp climate, you will strike trouble at some point. I had a W123 that always filled up with water on the back floor after a deluge and the cause was coming from within the engine bay. (I don't know how or why ???) Once I cleared it (and it took ages and the debris looked like mud) no more problems.

To be honest I doubt it's the Sunroof where the leak is, because you would see water dipping into the Cabin if it was watertight.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:54 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
The sunroof can easily be opened and closed manually. You remove the Overhead Control Panel and use an Allen wrench crank handle (which included in the car's tool kit) to manual operate it. Instructions are in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download it from the Owner's Section on mbusa.com.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Smile Thanks for all the replys

Well, i think you guys were right; the sunroof is probably not the problem. I did manage to get it open using an allen wrench. However, closing it was quite a different story. The metal they used stripped upon cranking it closed. So at a loss, I decided to switch around the sunroof shade and sunroof motor connectors and managed to get it closed that way. What a pain. Today I will tackle the area under the hood. I noticed that the plastic cover under the windshield wipers that fits into the grove at the base of the windshield is not seated right. I think that may be the problem. Hopefully that solves the problem. I thank you all for your input. What a great community I have stumbled upon. Thanks!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Oh, you have a coupe with the panorama roof? There is a common failure where the motor that drives the glass doesn't fully engage its gears. Search the forum - there have been some fixes posted.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in