M272 ballance shaft repaired, now camshaft adjuster failure - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 280C 4MATIC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
M272 ballance shaft repaired, now camshaft adjuster failure

Dear Mercedes enthusiastics,

I have a 2006 C280 with a M272 engine. recently I have had the balance shaft replaced. You can see it was necessary.
Now I got it back but now there is a new failure. The first few seconds the engine is running one of the camshaft adjusters rattles. That was never that way but the garage says it's probably because it had to adjust the wear of the balance shaft gear. Thoughts were that it might go away withs some extra driving but that is not the case.
The engine sounds like a diesel the first two seconds and then it goes away. It feels to me it fills with oil but that leaks away when the engine is off? When you restart within seconds or minutes no problem.

This part is expensive. (and so was the repair) The garage thinks it's for me to pay. I think it was good and it is their problem. I did only pay half the bill now.

What do you find of this? Can failure of this part be the result of the broken balance shaft or could this be an incorrect re-assembly? Could it be a seal that should keep the oil in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:12 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
the garage says it's probably because it had to adjust the wear of the balance shaft gear
I don't buy that. The adjuster is continually adjusting as you drive - that's its purpose. I suspect that the noise may be related to the job, but probably not really the shops "fault" Some piece of the bad sprocket may have dislodged and found its way into some part that is rattling around or starving of oil. Do you have any error codes? If not, then I;d be inclined to just drive it until something changes. If you have codes, what are they?

One other thought - are you sure the sound is from the camshaft adjusters? Make sure it's not from the bell housing/transmission area. If so, I can tell you what that is (and you or your mechanic aren't going to like it).

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 04 C320 Coupe
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another thought..What work instructions did they use? The cam adjusters need to be pinned before they're removed so they don't unwind. They are spring loaded. Independents commonly overlook this and ruin the adjusters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If the adjusters "slipped" there would be an MIL and codes to indicate this.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 280C 4MATIC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes5518 View Post
Another thought..What work instructions did they use? The cam adjusters need to be pinned before they're removed so they don't unwind. They are spring loaded. Independents commonly overlook this and ruin the adjusters.
Something like that I thought myself. I did a lot of googling but I could not really find this for sure. Thanks!
This garage is quite professional, mostly MB and and they did this repair 3 times before but anyone can do something wrong. The mechanic told me that these adjusters may not be opened, that is written on them. Now I think, why did he know that, did one unwind and then he looked at it and put it back on good hope? They used much more hours as quoted so I can imagine that such mechanic does not want to go to the chef and tell he broke a 600,- part.

The check engine lights up, codes I can not read out myself.
I keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in