BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 2002 C240 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
02 C240 ABS Module and possible rear SAM issues

All,

I recently purchased a 2002 C240 that needs a little love. Exterior and Interior are in great condition and after a Crank sensor change it runs fairly well but I have a few more niggly bits to sort out. The main 2 are:

1) The ABS motor runs continuously, key on, key off and car running.
2) Because of the above I think it was boosted to many times because the fuel guage, sunroof, interior lights and opening the trunk with the FOB are all inoperative.

I'm thinking that the ABS Controller has a bad relay or something inside causing it to run non-stop (I've pulled the main fuse) for now.

I found a 2004 C240 with 80k on it at a local parts yard and I'm wondering if the SAM, ABS Controller and Guage cluster are interchangeable (my display panel is illegible). If the SAM is interchangeable will the it need to be re-programmed?

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2002 C320 Wagon, 2004 C320 Sedan
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I replaced my rear SAM with one from ebay. It fixed all my rear (taillights) lighting problem. Just swapped it out, no programming needed.
My original problem was only 1 rear light worked. All others dead; brake, parking, running, license plate etc etc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Great to know, thanks.

I think I've answered the compatibility questions from the 2004. Rear SAM and Instrument cluster = yes. ABS Module = no. He's willing to sell be both of those for $90 so I'll take a chance on that. I'll have to keep digging for the ABS Module.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If you want to keep your odometer, instrument clusters cannot be swapped. The cluster is "married" to the car, and when you swap with a used one, it can't even be coded to re-marry it. Only "virgin" zero-mileage clusters can be married to a car. it is possible to take a used cluster and zero the mileage in its EEPROM, then use SDS to marry it (it will think it's a virgin). I have personally done this, but that is NOT an easy task - it's micro-surgery on tine electronic parts inside the cluster. I ruined more than one cluster.

As for swapping SAMs, that is possible. however, unless the SAM comes form a car with the exact same options and configuration as yours, it will need re--coding with SDS. Also, during MY2002, there was a change in the fuel sender. This requires a matching SAM and sender unit. So, if you have the old sender, and get a newer SAM (or vice-versa), the fuel gauge won't work. Also, the cluster must match, but some (not all!) clusters can be coded to match the old vs. new sender signals for its gauge.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rodney.

I picked up the cluster today because I really just need to replace the bezel. I'll test the center display board and if it's better than mine I'll swap it over to my cluster as well. That should by-pass the marrying issues.

Based on what you're saying and the fact that I think my VIN (F159617) is an early model 2002 I passed on the SAM. I'll have to see if I can find one at a salvage yard that might be a better match. I'm having a hard time justifying paying almost as much for a replacement SAM (with install and programming) as I paid for the car from one of the local Indie shops.

Thanks,
Bob
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Just wanted to post an update. Turns out someone unplugged half of the plugins in the overhead console. To resolve most issues I did the following:
- Plug everything back in and reset and sunroof which also fixed the auto headlights and interior light issues. Rain sensor still inop.
- had the local indie Benz guy replace a HVAC pressure switch and recharge.
- harvested the bezel, MFD and trunk release motor from the 04.
- replaced the ABS controller with a used ebay unit

All in all I have a pretty clean car with 125k on the odo for under $1600. The search function has been an immense help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in