LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 1988 260E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello all, first post with brake question...

My wife purchased a 2006 C280.

we put new tires on it and had it aligned. About 700 miles later the brakes started to "Pulse" in the pedal and the steering wheel.

I purchased a front rotors and pad set from FCP Groton. The car was smooth as silk.

Around 600 miles later the pulse started again. I tried "bedding" the pads but to no avail. I then had the front "new" rotors turned. After reinstalling them all was good.

A few hundred miles later the vibration was back. I purchased genuine mercedes pads for the front and rear and had the front rotors turned again. Once again all was well.

The vibration is back again. I noticed a "fluid" coming out from the upper control arms so I replaced the upper control arm bushings.

That did not resolve the issue.

The calipers do not appear to be binding.
The caliper pins are cleaned, lubed and move freely.
I have retorged the wheels to 80ft pounds with the wheels both hot and cold.
The suspension components seem good and tight. (including tie rod ends).

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Have you had an alignment performed?

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
We did have an alignment done just before all this started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
OK, since new/resurfaced rotors seem to solve the problem, it does seem to be warped rotors, or rotors that are collecting pad material. What brand rotors were used? I can tell you I put cheap Chinese Centric brand rotors on my C240 and they have been just fine, but I put expensive Frozen Rotors on my CLK and they warped. I'm pretty much sold on OEM brakes on MBZ cars. Also, you aren't over-torquing the lugs are you? That can warp the rotors.

Another possibility is your bedding process for new pads/rotors. You need to initially deposit a smooth layer of pad material on the rotor surfaces for a good bedding. If not, you can get uneven layers of pad material on the rotors which will cause vibrations, The process I like is "hot bedding". You need to find a location where you can do this safely and legally. First you drive very slowly and apply the brakes very gently, almost continuously, for about 15 minutes. Do not stop hard and do not sit still with the pads against the rotors. This brings the system up to temperature. Next, accelerate to about 60mph, then brake HARD, just short of activating ABS, but DO NOT come to a complete stop with the pads on the rotors. Do about 10 of these 60mph runs, then park the car (again, no pads on the rotors!) and let it cool down.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply Rudeney!

The rotors are Meyle platinum. Reviews were very positive.

I got the torque spec from this link:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...lug-bolts.html
It says 81 ft pounds and I only did 80. I steped the torgue 40 60 and finally 80. I even retorgued them after they were hot per another posters advice.

I did the bedding process as you described.

Keep the ideas coming!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:50 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
When you had the rotors turned, did they mention if one was more "off" than other? If so, you could have a frozen or sticky caliper.

--

- RODNEY

My Stable:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
How do the brakes pad look? Is one of them visibly more worn than the other?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Good morning.

Rudeney, I asked the shop that turned them to "make a note" of what the found. In my opinion they did not give me a good report on this as the person who did the work had gone home for the day and did not tell them anything. I was a little bit disappointed at this as I told them what I was trying to diagnose here.
They basically said they were "a little off" but did not notice one being worse than the other.

Deplore. all three sets of pads actually look new and in good condition. Equal wear, no scratches or discoloration.

The first set were on the car when we purchased it, (it was not pulsating at the time) and looked brand new. I wonder if the previous owner sold the car because of this issue. I do not know the manufacture of these pads but the did not have the Mercedes symbol on them.
The second set came with the brake rotor/pad combo. Not sure of the manufacturer, but they dusted a lot.

The third set is genuine Mercedes with the symbol on them.

Thanks for the help!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
FOLLOW UP WITH POSSIBLE RESOLUTION: If someone else finds this thread later.

I did replace both front rotors with genuine Mercedes rotors. It has been around 1500 miles and all seems well.

My gut reaction is the control arm bushings "contributed" to the rotors heating up during braking. I might have been able to replace the rotors with aftermarket or had them turned again.

But I chose dealer rotors just to be sure. They were not that much more expensive.
Hutcho85 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in