BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: 2006 C230
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yet another ABS/ESP malfunction thread (2006 C230 W203 V6 Automatic)
ABS/ESP malfunctions started coming 10 minutes after I picked up the car for the first time, about 2 months ago. When the engine was turned off and back on they would both go away after moving a few meters.They would come back about every 1 or 2 days. When they're on, the cruise control DOES NOT RESPOND, meaning pressing the stick does absolutely nothing, no sound, no message, no effect. I had the car scanned and it came up with a few codes pertaining to the esp and abs, but at least half were due to an alignment which the car needed badly. I think one of the codes was about not being able to read from the front right sensor. Since then, following some of the things I did (detailed below), the malfunctions now show up a lot more often, and even after turning the engine off and on they come back within a few kilometers. That MAY be due to the average temperatures rising by about 10°C, just a thought.
I've done the following since that first scan:
- erased all codes completely - seems to keep the problem at bay for at most a day
- did the steering wheel right to left reset thing - absolutely nothing
- tried 2 different new ABS speed sensors on the front right - no lasting effect
- checked brake light switch - don't have an electric one behind the gas pedal, my model seems to have the pressure one connected to the main brake cylinder
- checked and monitored the battery voltage - solid 12 when idling and 14 when driving
- disconnected the battery and held the brake pedal for a minute - no effect
I will have the car scanned again soon and come back with more specific details.
I know that without the detailed (and more current) codes you can't be of much help, but I could use some more ideas/brainstorming of what I could be looking at. The main ABS/ESP control module? Some grounding issue? (I notice often the AC starts working and blowing a little when starting the car, even though the fan speed is set to 0. Not a real problem, just an observation.)
I was also thinking, maybe for my road trip I could buy a cheap scanner with which to erase codes every day, to hopefully allow me to have cruise control for 5500-6000km I'll be traveling.