post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
possible to clean the O2 sensor?

I drove my C230 for a month or so after the MAF sensor went bad. After replacing it, I got P0138. it seems the downstream O2 sensor got contaminated during that month's driving.

Is it possible to clean the contamination on the O2 sensor. Anyone did that with success?

thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport - SOLD before moving. :(
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insame1 View Post
You are absolutely correct insame1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 2004/5 W203
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Is Google REALLY the preferred method of getting answers to a reasonable question around here???
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2001 C240, 1984 300D
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutcho85 View Post
Is Google REALLY the preferred method of getting answers to a reasonable question around here???
No, I don't think that's an appropriate response. Personally I've never tried to clean an O2 sensor but I've heard of people try with mixed results.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
No, I don't think that's an appropriate response. Personally I've never tried to clean an O2 sensor but I've heard of people try with mixed results.
First let me say that my post was a hyperlink to many sites with answers and opinions on the subject. Second I do think it is an appropriate response to some that has done no due diligence and expects to be able to post up and get an answer.

Many MANY questions have already been answered on this forum and a cursory google search netted many answers too. If you don't have the time to look around what makes you think people have the time to keep replying with the same answers to the same questions.

Perhaps I am being unreasonable and you are not able to search for your answer so here ya go.

The oxygen sensor is a very important component in a car's exhaust system. Due to the regular usage, over time products like oil, coolants settle inside the oxygen sensors. It is mandatory to clean the sensor to assure the performance is not affected. If you do not clean the sensor it could lead to problems like inefficient combustion and reduced performance.
Step 1 – Safety Measures

Before you start cleaning the oxygen sensors in the car's engine, follow a few safety measure. Wear your work gloves. Also protect your eyes by wearing work goggles.
Step 2 – Prep Work

Park your car in a clutter free area. Make sure the work area is well lit. It would help if the work area is well ventilated.
Step 3 – Raise the Vehicle

The first step is to locate and remove the oxygen sensors from your car. For this you will have to use a jack and lift the car. Make sure it is held in position.
Step 4 – Locate

Slide under the car and locate the oxygen sensors that need to be cleaned. The oxygen sensors that go upstream are located in front of the converter and the ones that go downstream are located right after the converter.
Step 5 – Lubricate

Spray WD 40 on the oxygen sensors. This will lubricate the sensor. After 10 minutes, unplug them and use a wrench to free the sensors from its fitting.
Step 6 – Container

Get hold of a container. Make sure it is safe to introduce gas into the container. The container should have a lid and the lid should fit tightly on the rims. There should not be any leaks.
Step 7 – Place the Sensors

Now place the oxygen censors in the container. Introduce gas. The quantity of the gas should be enough to submerge the sensors.
Step 8 – Work

Now close the lid of the container. Pick it up and swirl it around. This will help the gas to move and enter all parts of the oxygen sensors.
Step 9 – Rest

You need to let the container rest. Leave it in a cool dry place overnight. This will give the gas enough time to react with the settlements and dirt on the sensor.
Step 10 – Re-agitate

After having left the container overnight, you should now start with the remainder of the cleaning process. Lift the container and swirl it around a bit. This will re-agitate the mixture inside.
Step 11 – Remove

Now open the container. Remove the oxygen sensors. Use a paper towel to dry the sensors. Make sure you have your rubber gloves on at this point.
Step 12 – Final Step

You will notice that all the dirt has been removed from the sensors. You can now proceed to fit the sensors back into position. Use a wrench to tighten the bolts on the sensors.

PS this is from one of the sites in the link posted above. Use this information at your own risk. Id say do your own research but....

Last edited by insame1; 10-09-2015 at 05:33 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks so much! I googled too, but found only the nonsense of burning the sensor head with propane gas, and the one using sand paper (nonsense) and WD-40.

Last edited by BenZ190D; 10-10-2015 at 10:36 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I agree with insame1 - a little bit of research is helpful, even if you don't find the correct answer. It at least shows someone TRIED to find the answer to their issue and that they aren't just posting a question because they are too lazy to do any research of their own.

With that being said, I would like to say to BenZ190D that I am not implying that you didn't do any research. If you would have included what you found when you did search in your first post, it would have shown that you did try to locate an answer on your own. The answer insame1 found is interesting and I hope you post back your results if you do end up trying to clean your O2 sensors this way.

To everyone else disagreeing with insame1 and asking if Google is the appropriate way to find answers, I challenge you to try to use Google the next time you have an issue with your MB. A ton of links Google will provide will lead you back to BenzWorld.org... And it may also lead you to other resources you can use as well.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 2004/5 W203
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Sorry, I've been on the Forum for only 3 weeks and at first look it looked more like a response you would get from a BMW owner. I didn't realize that it was a hyperlink and that Insame had put a lot of information on it. If there's a simple way to navigate to post with relevant subjects I haven't found them yet.

I'll cop the tip and try Google first in future.

John
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutcho85 View Post
Sorry, I've been on the Forum for only 3 weeks and at first look it looked more like a response you would get from a BMW owner. I didn't realize that it was a hyperlink and that Insame had put a lot of information on it. If there's a simple way to navigate to post with relevant subjects I haven't found them yet.

I'll cop the tip and try Google first in future.

John
Not a problem John - I simply was pointing out that Google is a very good resource. At the upper right under the BenzWorld.org logo is a Google search component for searching threads here. I've used it countless times and it is very helpful when looking for specific information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in