Help!2002 c240 newly replaced key fob won't unlock ignition - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 2002 c320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help!2002 c240 newly replaced key fob won't unlock ignition

I recently got water damage on my 2002 c320 key fob so I went to the dealership to get a new key fob. When the new key fob came in, I put the new fob into the ignition (while at the dealership)and it started to download-not realizing it was doing this I tried to turn the car on-of course it didn't start so then I quickly turned it off and then I turned the ignition back on and it continued to reprogram. We then had to move the car up in line so we had to turn the car off and put in our working key in the ignition-moved the car up in line and then inserted the new fob in the ignition and it began reprograming again. It was taking a long time (we were there about 40 min as it was downloading)so the dealership said we could take the car home and reprogram it at home. We then used our other key-started the car and went home. At home, we put the new key again into the ignition to continue the reprograming and the key would not turn onto the ignition start position (which we had previously done ). Now the dealership says we need to replace the electronic part that is connected with the key ignition stating that we must have crashed the system (our other key works fine) This is very costly-over 1,000 plus once they do this there is no guarantee that the working key of ours will work with the new system. Is it possible that the problem is with the anti theft portion of the car and that when I turned the car on and off three times without completing the data transfer that the system has now locked that key out. Is it possible that all I need is another key instead of their costly solution to the problem? I need an answer FAST!!!! I don't want to spend all this money if there is a simple solution. The dealership states that they tested the new key and that there are no problems with the key
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 2002 c320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
oops I made a misstake in the title of my thread it's a c320
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thread moved to the W203 forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:30 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
It sounds like the dealer sold you a "replacement" key that, when used, will reprogram the EIS to cancel out the old, broken key. Since you 2nd original key still works, you have not "crashed" the WIS. I assume you paid the dealer for a service visit for them to diagnose the bad key and order the new one? What I would do is forget about the "replacement" key and just order an "extra" key. It will com pre-programmed and ready to use with no "download' necessary for the EIS.

BTW, this "programming" that the replacement key does should take about 2 seconds. The dealer not handing this for you is poor service. And even to tell you to go home and keep trying is even worse! I see if they will cover the price of the "extra" key. If you need more details about this, I can describe it, but the DAS (Drive Authorization System) and handling replacement vs. extra keys is not rocket science, but it does take a bit of logic to understand.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in