Non-working wipers,child seat sensor, horn, srs error, fix-summary - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1990 190D, 1997 S300 Turbo Diesel, 2002 ML270 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Non-working wipers,child seat sensor, horn, srs error, fix-summary

Hello

I have spent some time this weekend fixing non-working wipers on a W203, C180. I thought i would share this experience.

The car had a SRS error on the cluster and the wipers did not work. Reading out the fault codes revealed that the child seat recognition sensor had a fault.

These cars have a sensor on one of the bonnet locks, if the bonnet is not locked or "locked" with bonnet open, then wipers and windows washing pump will not work.

In this case the windows washer pump did work when the bonnet lock was closed, but the wipers did not. There is a relay N10/1kM which gives 12v to Circuit 15R. The relay is controlled by the front SAM. The relay has 12v only when the ignition is on, but it is the SAM which decides when the relay is opened.

Circuit 15R provides 12v to several, amongst the relays N10/1kL and N10/1kQ which are the relays actuated by the SAM to control the wipers. Also 15R provides 12v to the child recognition sensor, SRS module, glove box light, cigarette plug and light, and the signal horn.

If all of these does not work probably the relay 15R (N10/1kM) have to be changed. The relay can easily be tested.

If a simultaneous error occur with both wipers and SRS involved, chances are that its relay N10/1kM (Relay 15R).

If windows washer pumps etc does not work, or if only parts of the wipers speeds works, then it is not a problem with relay 15R, (could be the column switch then)

Of course fuses have to be checked etc.

I have read quite many stories about SRS and wiper faults occuring at the same time and it is a pleasure to say that its down to relay 15 failing (and not SAM)

rgds
Oddemann
rudeney and Krijth like this.

Last edited by Oddemann; 02-15-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 03:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Congratulations, Thanks for relating your experience here! You clearly know your way around the WIS circuit diagrams to have achieved this.

Did you investigate the relay N10/1 kM failure? Was it an open circuit coil or bad output contacts?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The wire to the coil was loose on one of the connectors, we tried to solder the wire but it probably has been coated after fabric soldering. When we forced the relay closed with the hands the vipers where working and SRS error gone.

We used Star finder a lot, this tool is really good!

Oddeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2001 C200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My car has exactly the same symptoms. The technician said he had tried swapping the relay switch and that still didn't solve the issues. Can the SAM be partially malfunction?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I belive the "technician" did not check the correct relay. If i remember correctly N10/1kM (Relay 15R) can not be fitted with the other relays, thats why we opened it to test it. Anyway, why did the so called technician not check if relay 15R gets voltage from the SAM ?

I dont believe the SAM is the problem. And i do not believe the technician is good enough :-)

rgds
Oddemann
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddemann View Post
Hello

I have spent some time this weekend fixing non-working wipers on a W203, C180. I thought i would share this experience.

The car had a SRS error on the cluster and the wipers did not work. Reading out the fault codes revealed that the child seat recognition sensor had a fault.

These cars have a sensor on one of the bonnet locks, if the bonnet is not locked or "locked" with bonnet open, then wipers and windows washing pump will not work.

In this case the windows washer pump did work when the bonnet lock was closed, but the wipers did not. There is a relay N10/1kM which gives 12v to Circuit 15R. The relay is controlled by the front SAM. The relay has 12v only when the ignition is on, but it is the SAM which decides when the relay is opened.

Circuit 15R provides 12v to several, amongst the relays N10/1kL and N10/1kQ which are the relays actuated by the SAM to control the wipers. Also 15R provides 12v to the child recognition sensor, SRS module, glove box light, cigarette plug and light, and the signal horn.

If all of these does not work probably the relay 15R (N10/1kM) have to be changed. The relay can easily be tested.

If a simultaneous error occur with both wipers and SRS involved, chances are that its relay N10/1kM (Relay 15R).

If windows washer pumps etc does not work, or if only parts of the wipers speeds works, then it is not a problem with relay 15R, (could be the column switch then)

I have read quite many stories about SRS and wiper faults occuring at the same time and it is a pleasure to say that its down to relay 15 failing (and not SAM)

rgds
Oddemann
I have read the above, I have a C200 Kompressor 203 and has a peculiar habit. When you are at a high speed of over 40 KPH the horn, wipper and full light do not function, if you stop then accelerate they will work but only for a short time. Ihave not gotten the root cause of this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:06 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 2001 W203 C220 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddemann View Post
Hello

rgds
Oddemann
Until this morning, I had a problem whereby the horn and wipers do not work, and in addition, the SRS warning light came on. All these problems occurred at the same time. The affected car is a W203 (2001) C220 CDI.

Replacing the N10/1kM relay (as suggested by oddemann) fixed all these problems.

Thanks to Oddemann for his suggestion.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2016
Hello, I'm having a very similar problem that I was hopinhvto get helps with.
I have a 2004 C32 AMG. I just bought it 2 weeks ago. When I got it, the SRS light was on on the dash and the seller told me it came on a year ago and hasn't caused him any issues so he never tried to get it fixed.
Since having the car a short time, I noticed the washer fluid pump wasn't doing anything when I pushed the lever in. I don't know how long it's been out because the seller never mentioned it and it was a few days before I tried to use it but the first try wasn't working. The wiper, however WERE working. Now, all of a sudden, the wipers aren't working either.
I asked a mechanic on Just Answers and he said it's probably the clock spring since the SRS light is on. I bought one and it just came in the mail today. I know how to replace it but before doing so, I wanted to do a little more investigation and then I came across this thread. Now, I don't k ow wheather I should try to replace it or just change the relay 15.
Is that what you fine folks would recommend first? That I change the relay before tackling the clock spring job?

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Shawn
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I would not replace any SRS parts without a proper diagnosis, meaning pulling codes. In order to do that, you need a scanner that reads MBZ's proprietary systems. A generic OBDII scanner won't do that. Of course the dealer's SDS system will, and a less expensive option is iCarsoft i980.

As for tis problem, the clockspring would have nothing to do with the wipers as the combination switch sits behind that. The clockspring just manages the items on the steering wheel - horn, airbag and radio/menu buttons.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2016
I see. So what should I do to fix the wipers issue? Should I try replacing the relays, or the control switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in