LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
buying w203 c230k coupe

i consider buying a 2005 c230k coupe with 162000kms (100 000miles) for my son - please advise what things I should look out for before buying

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 2003 C320 Sport Coupe - 2002 CLK320 Cabriolet - 2012 E350 Cabriolet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my opinion, that's too many kilometers for a 2005. On average, that person drove almost 20k km's a year. At 160k I'd assume the supercharger is on its way out, so will the cat.
Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about the M271, but others on this forum would be able to help you with that. Though I wouldn't touch it unless there is proper documentation of all servicing (including transmission) on the vehicle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Actually, a MY2005 car is almost 10 years old (in model years) so 100K miles is maybe a bit below average (in the USA, 12K miles/year is average). As Alswag stated, the supercharger and catalytic converters are typically nearing end of life at that mileage. Also, you can expect a lot of the rubber hoses to become brittle and need replacement. Another concern on this engine is the timing chain. I don't believe failures are common, but they do happen more often than I'd like to hear about, so that might be a concern.

If you are mechanically savvy and can do your own work, then it's a good car to have - safe and a good drive. If you intend to rely on shops or the dealer to do your work, then you can easily spend as much as the cost on the car to keep it running. Of course as you replace those parts, you'll get another 100K-150K miles out of them, but that's your financial decision to make.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2012 e class, roush mustang
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would pass. the coupe when aged usually are horrible. at this time I have never seen a really clean coupe that didn't ride/sound like crap. just my .02
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Interesting how those people who don't have coupes are so quick to judge.
2005 is a good year to have, updated looks, updated head.
The M271 cam chain has a tendency to stretch, so yeah, I would go with a new chain after purchase. Yes, you can expect to replace the supercharger, alternator brushes, and starter in the next 20-50K miles. Plan ahead and do in advance and pocket the savings.
Yes also the cat might need replacement, but then you'll be good for another 100K miles!
Well worth the trouble. They are fun and practical, as in 40+ cu ft. of storage when needed. Yes, you may invest a couple grand, but consider it was 30K + when new.

2006 ML350 - Stock
2002 C7 Evolution Orion Blue 2.3L C230 Coupe
Auto-Pano-Oyster Leather-Audio 10
AMG Front bar 22mm-17" Wheels- C32 Brakes- H&R 19mm rear sway
TEIN SS Coilovers -
Clear sides- 2005 tails, Blinkers & Grill- Tinted Windows
Bi-Xenons-Clear Fogs- Clear Side/Stealth Bulbs

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2012 e class, roush mustang
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my input is just based on what I have seen the last 10 years working on these day in and out. im not saying their aren't any in good condition...I have seen super clean 124,140,107 chassis....but for the most part....the coupe isn't for me. along with the stuff listed....sun roof cables, suspension system, alternator one way clutch locking up, look at the harness carefully and make sure their isn't any oil in it. it was a issue on early models. it may have a adapter harness on the cam magnet to help keep oil out. imo it was a band aid Mercedes used to try and prevent it. maybe take it for a buyers inspection at a mb dealer before purchase
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I think you need to separate the coupe-specific issues from the general W203 issues. The only thing that is coupe-specific are problems with the panoramic sunroof, and possibly some extra noises from the rear hatch. Otherwise, it has the same issues. Personally, I like the coupe. The looks may not be great, but the utility is wonderful. The back seat is roomier for two than the sedan and it has a sportier feel to its handling (I am guessing it's related to weight distribution).

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

My Stable:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Alternator one way clutch? No such thing.
Sunroof cables had issues on early coupes. Not so much a problem on later ones. I have the 2004 sunroof in mine, the entire unit was replaced under warranty. Works great. Then again I lube mine regularly exactly the way the manual says too, with the exact lubes it specifies, and put 303 protectant on the rubber to keep it from sticking and straining the gears.

Yeah, look for oil in the harness.
It's a solid car, has little problems here and there that mechanics like to blow out of proportion and charge way too much for. Tons of info here on the forum on how to fix almost anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a02stang View Post
my input is just based on what I have seen the last 10 years working on these day in and out. im not saying their aren't any in good condition...I have seen super clean 124,140,107 chassis....but for the most part....the coupe isn't for me. along with the stuff listed....sun roof cables, suspension system, alternator one way clutch locking up, look at the harness carefully and make sure their isn't any oil in it. it was a issue on early models. it may have a adapter harness on the cam magnet to help keep oil out. imo it was a band aid Mercedes used to try and prevent it. maybe take it for a buyers inspection at a mb dealer before purchase

2006 ML350 - Stock
2002 C7 Evolution Orion Blue 2.3L C230 Coupe
Auto-Pano-Oyster Leather-Audio 10
AMG Front bar 22mm-17" Wheels- C32 Brakes- H&R 19mm rear sway
TEIN SS Coilovers -
Clear sides- 2005 tails, Blinkers & Grill- Tinted Windows
Bi-Xenons-Clear Fogs- Clear Side/Stealth Bulbs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in