OIL LEAK- Oil Pump GAsket Seal ???. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question OIL LEAK- Oil Pump GAsket Seal and Radiator Reservoir Issue???.

UPDATE ----PHOTOS ADDED---- NEW PROBLEM WHILE TAKING PHOTOS......BROKE LINE FROM RESERVOIR TANK !!! ???????? SEE PICS OF OIL LEAKS AND RADIATOR LINE AREA

I have a 2004 C230. It has 88,000 miles( mostly highway) and has been parked since November 07. We noticed a leak in the garage. Took to and indy authorized MB cshop. He told us that it was an oil pump gasket seal leak. Where is the oil pump on this car ?? We thought is was under the bottom, and if so , why did the tech tell us that it is the oil pump gasket and it is on the bottom when we noticed oil leaking from the top underneath the black cover that says Mercedes Benz. My husband removed the front cover and noticed that there was oil on the front where the cam sensor magents are. The area looks just like the pics of the cam sensor magnets that are posted in another thread but there is oil in the area. Well, the CEL light is on, so we took it to get a diagnsotic scan . The codes that came up were P0600 and P0171.

My husband says to get rid of the car. We were keeping it for our daughter for her 15th birthday this May. Car has had CEL light on since 4 months after I bought it and I bought it brand new. Sometimes MB had an answer ( SIck of the loose gas cap one), most of the times they didn't. Well if finally went away for about 2 yrs after having the car in the shop for over 12 times during the first year. And now it's on again. We have read all the post and know that this 2004 C230 must have been the guinea pig.
------------------------------------------------------------------

New problem ....Broke line from reservoir tank, I think it's called the radiator reservoir tank. Well, I barely touched it while trying to see the leak my husband was taking a pic of to post on this site and it just snapped.

My husband was devastated. I told him it was his fault for having me up at 5:30 AM trying to look under a hood. Well, ...life happens !! New radiator ?? A fix that can maintain a pressurized system and contain the antifreeze coming thru the line without seeping out. What a minute , am I even giving this the correct name. We took pics of the line . It has MYCOT on it. It looks like it would snap on but we see a line inside the MYCOT hose. We feel that's the problem

?? Just lay it on us. I think we better take my daughter up to NISSAN.

What recourse should we take. I know it can't be good. When I hear or see the words "oil leak", I know that means trouble and big $$$ trouble at that and now the radiator line issue thingy .

Any help is greatly appreciated.......

Guess Hew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 005.edit.JPG
Views:	15232
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	171909   Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 005.jpg
Views:	1681
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	171910   Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 006.edit.JPG
Views:	4954
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	171911   Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 019.jpg
Views:	1806
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	171912   Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 023.edit.JPG
Views:	2617
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	171913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 012.edit.JPG
Views:	15497
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	171923   Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 011.edit.JPG
Views:	13768
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	171924   Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 013.jpg
Views:	2810
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	171925   Click image for larger version

Name:	sabrina & c230 016.jpg
Views:	3932
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	171926  

Last edited by Guess Hew; 04-10-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: update and and photos--correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 02:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
there is no such thing as an oil pump gasket. the oil pump is inside of the engine and to get to it you have to remove the lower oil pan. anything could be leaking. take pics and we can tell you.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
Send a message via AIM to BF_JC230
That is AWESOME! How do people sleep at night stealing money like that! (I know you didn't use the "authorized" shop...but they wanted your cash...) As Streetglower said - Post pictures and you will know what you need to do soon, and how to do it!

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Question Oil leak and NOW a broken radiator reservoir line

I 've added the pics to the original posting above.. Since I am still a newbie, I hope I did this right.

Any advice is appreciated.
Richard Baez likes this.

Last edited by Guess Hew; 04-10-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-11-2008, 02:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

the oil leak at the back of the engine is most likely from the vacuum pump for the braking system. that pump bolts up to the back of the camshaft and the camshaft is what turns the pump. its common, not expensive and easy to replace with the right tools.

the oil leak at the front is common from the cam adjusters. replace both of them and dont forget to buy new o rings and new seals. the adjusters dont come with them.
Roger007 likes this.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
Send a message via AIM to BF_JC230
Smile

I second all of what Streetglower said...As far as the water line, you can replace the composite piece along the engine or I would think short term to get it moving you could just put in a self tapping threaded connection and reattach the rubber line...

This is not that bad,
Jake
Old 04-11-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Wink Follow up- Cams and Brake System - Oil Leak

Great....Thanks Streetglower and Jake.

We got the adapter bleeder valve,( that is what the parts tech called it) from MB and my husband put it right back on in 20 secs. The part was 12.99.

He wants to do the cams but he wants to know if the part that Streetglower said about the vacuum pump on the braking syste, is it a DIY ?..Do you have to remove serious parts ? Or should this leak be taken to the dealer to be fixed. Streetglower, are there any pics or detailed steps for this process (vacuum pump braking system.) Any advice or pics is greatly appreciated. OH, can someone provide a DIY for doing the cams. Oh, FYI, the right cam magnet was very loose. My hushand tightened it up.

Please also note that the back leak that Streetglower indicates may be the vacuum pump for the breaking system is the leak that the authorized MB shop said was a oil pump gasket seal and that he would fix it for $ 320.00.

Thank you very much.

Tweety Hew

Last edited by Guess Hew; 04-11-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-12-2008, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

again the oil pump sits inside of the engine, hidden by the oil pan and is turned by a small chain which is driven off of the crankshaft gear..

anyway the pump isnt hard to do. you will need a 1/4 ratchet and a e8 torx socket. the pump is held on by 2 bolts. its a tight fit but not hard to do. nothing has to be removed except the vacuum line for the brake system.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
hi,
I got a recall letter from our dealer to replace the cam magnet solenoid connectors,said oil could penetrate the harness,,,,,,from your pictures it looks like you might need to see if your car is in the recall,BTW they replaced the magnets ,seloniods,wiring connectors and a pigtail to the magnets,it helped the engine rattle at start up,I didn't see any oil in the connector before it went in to the dealer.
Roger007 likes this.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
The oil LEAK well I was told by the service manager it was the gasket for the second oil pump leaking oil everywhere,,,,ok go bought a shop manual...humm no second oil pump to be found only one inside the oil pan,,,,snicker,lol.
So where did it come from,along story short here,the oil cap,so you remove the top engine cover and then tighten the oil cap mine went another 30 degrees to close,found a line under the cover was too high ,rerouted it under a line and fixed that,the cover it's self wasn't letting the cap close ,a file fixed that,btw the top of the cap now closes ez and is inline with the engine cylinders,before it was more side ways,THIS fixed ALL the oil leaks,I also found engine oil in the spark plug holes and yes it did cause high speed misfire,which it had went to the dealer for a tune up to fix that,,,misfire,lol.I know now!
Roger007 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W203 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in