Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Windshield replacement?

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  BrianS-2006-C230 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with a windshield replacement on an '05 c230? My only concern is that the rain sensing wipers and auto headlights may have problems after the new windshield, because it is not aligned properly with the sensors. Also could the part (sensors) that attach to the windshield be broken when it is taken out. Is it glued to the windshield? Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

#2 ·
They will do the job perfectly... there are different windshields for cars with and without rain sensing wipers... if they don't... they will continue to do it until its right... I would make sure of that.

#3 ·
My brother had his replaced ( '05 C230 ) unfortunately due to a small rock cracking the windshield on the driver's side badly. I was lucky that my insurance agent covered it for me, but they had to use someone from a list of windshield repair shops. Well, we got the windshield replaced with all the bells and whistles working properly ( light and windshield sensors ). But, my only complaint was the actual color of the front windshield. I know its a cosmatic thing with little functionality, but the O.E.M. mercedes windshield has a lite blue tint to it. The new one that was installed has a gray tint to it. Now, I have a set of non-matching windows from front ( gray ) to back windows ( blue ). But, I guess it's better than having a serious crack line down the front windshield. I was thinking about tinting all the windows minus the front windshield. I don't know. My brother drives the car anyways, so he has to get use to it, not me.

#4 ·
I have no idea about the details of the sensors and all that technical stuff, but I can tell you that when I changed my windshield (Mercedes brand), it was an easy 1 hour job by the mobile windshield people.

As a former Rav4 owner, I had replaced my windshield for $250 and thought the MB ones wouldn't be far off. Boy was I wrong. After calling at last 7 different places for prices and got prices ranging from $499 installed to $800 installed, it knew it would be a big hit on the wallet. There was a $425 one, but that was from a Korean brand I didn't trust. For $75, I thought I'd go for the MB branded one.

So far no leaks and the sensors work just fine. Did you plan on installing it yourself? Since your in arizona, I can't recommend a place I've used near you. most mobile places can do it for you though. it shouldn't be a problem.

#7 ·
I screwed up big time this morning. I was trying to replace the wiper blade on the passenger side. I took the blade out and that's when the arm and the metal piece that holds the blade snapped down and cracked the windshield.

Has anyone replaced their windshield recently? Is it lots of $$$ for 2002 C240 with rain sensor? Can I replace it without the rain sensor if it's more economical?

Attachments

#8 ·
I did the exact same thing on my CLK, except I was just washing it and had lifted the blade up with my hand and it broke off the arm. If you have full coverage insurance, you may get some relief, less a deductible (unless your state requires them to cover it 100%). I would choose my glass shop carefully. Maybe call the local dealer and ask who they use (they usually don't do it themselves). Without insurance, cash prices vary, but expect $500-$800.

#11 ·
Thank you Rodney, Uni2b1 and RedGray for replying.

I called my insurance (Lib Mutual) and they referred me to "Safelite" Glass Replacement. They haevn't told me yet how much they will cover, hopefully here in California it's 100% covered.

I have an appointment with Safelite on Friday. "Safelite" asks if I have a light sensor. I checked some Vin decode websites and they show I have the rain sensor but no mention of a light sensor. Also I can't really tell for sure if my tent is blue or green, I am leaning toward blue. Any sure way way of telling about the light sensor and tent color?

Thanks.

#12 ·
I feel certain you have the light sensor. as that is in the same housing and uses the same lens. YMMV, but I do not recommend Safelite. They replaced the glass on my CLK and they sent a tech and a supervisor/trainer, who bragged about how many windshields he'd replaced. Well, I'm glad I was there to watch because they came within 1/4 inch of cutting the overhead console wiring harness. Even after I yelled at them to stop, they argue with me that they "knew what they were doing". I could clearly see the way their cutting wire was moving it was going to go through the harness. After much arguing, they finally agreed and they rerouted it. The glass they installed was Chinese and had distortions in it and after just a few months of driving, was pitted and foggy.

Several years later, I had another replacement done by The Glass Doctor and it was a MUCH worse experience. They scratched the dash, left a mess in the car, and broke several pieces of trim. And the first time I went to adjust the rear view mirror, it not only broke away from glass, the glass itself broke, leaving a big hole. They replaced it again and did more damage to the trim.

Like I said, I'd call your local MBZ dealer and as who they use. Or, since insurance is paying, have the dealer do it through their subcontractor.

#13 · (Edited)
Thank you Rodney. I called the dealer and they do the installation themselves for about $750.

I talked to another local glass company, "All Star" and they use OEM glass for $430 total. The glass maker name they us is "FY". After googling FY glass, again it's chinese made with mixed reviews. But All Star says they will replace it again if it had any issues and they meet or exceed FMVSS. I feel more confident going with them rather than Saflite.

#14 ·
Safelite and Glass Doctor will also warrant the glass and there work. I carry a "glass rider" on my insurance so I don't pay anything out of pocket for replacement, but still cringe when I have to get it done. I'm just afraid they will damage something. My dealer uses a local company that's been in business for decades and I've used them before with much better results than Safelite and Glass Doctor. I think trying your local guy may be a good option.

#15 · (Edited)
When my windshield cracked I used Safelite and had no problem at all. The price was interesting, though... something line $350 if I paid or $1500 if it went through insurance. (That was a couple of years ago.) Not sure if that was a ploy to make the deal simple for them or if that was really the prices. Nonetheless, I paid out of pocket since my deductible is higher than the quoted price. It took an hour or so; I went to their shop rather than using their mobile replacement service. No problem with the aftermarket FY glass, no problem with Safelite service, no coincidental damage, and the sensors work correctly.

If I have any complaint at all it is that the FY glass has markings in the lower right, where the Daimler sticker should go. So replacing the sticker was difficult. In the end, the sticker didn't stick so now I don't have the ego-appeal of Daimler's signature on my car. Booo.

BTW, AllStar is in the next block from the Safelite that I used. Didn't get a quote from them, but they seem to have a "relationship" with regard to the glass supply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.