98 C280 Antenna Location - Mercedes-Benz Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Franklyspeaking's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1998 C280; 1987 560SL
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
98 C280 Antenna Location

I have searched for and read a ton of stuff on this subject, but I have not found anything definitive on the location of "my" particular car's FM/AM antenna. I get very bad radio reception and it simply must be improved. I hate the thought of removing the carpets and possibly a seat to route another cable to the rear of the car. My car has a short 10" antenna on the on the back glass, but I think it must be a cell antenna, as unplugging does not affect radio reception at all.

I took the trunk apart last night, but did not see the antenna wire. I did find a couple of coax cables that looked like cell phone stuff on the drivers side. From the radio it appears to drop down to the floor on the passenger side and head to the back. If no one can help I guess I will have to tear out the interior this weekend to find it!
Franklyspeaking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
khomer2's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyspeaking View Post
I have searched for and read a ton of stuff on this subject, but I have not found anything definitive on the location of "my" particular car's FM/AM antenna. I get very bad radio reception and it simply must be improved. I hate the thought of removing the carpets and possibly a seat to route another cable to the rear of the car. My car has a short 10" antenna on the on the back glass, but I think it must be a cell antenna, as unplugging does not affect radio reception at all.

I took the trunk apart last night, but did not see the antenna wire. I did find a couple of coax cables that looked like cell phone stuff on the drivers side. From the radio it appears to drop down to the floor on the passenger side and head to the back. If no one can help I guess I will have to tear out the interior this weekend to find it!
Have you checked the fuses for the radio? One is typically for the radio amplifier.
khomer2 is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Franklyspeaking's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1998 C280; 1987 560SL
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by khomer2
Have you checked the fuses for the radio? One is typically for the radio amplifier.
Yes, I have the Bose sound system and the amplifier is working properly. All of the fuses test okay. I do not see one listed for an antenna amplifier. I would like to find the antenna, so I can see if cleaning the connections or if the grounding is proper.
Franklyspeaking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: W201 2.5-16 manual, W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
Location: Dublin
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyspeaking View Post
I would like to find the antenna, so I can see if cleaning the connections or if the grounding is proper.
The antenna is built into the rear window. I'd have doubts the antenna (screen) that's at fault, unless the element is damaged. Does the rear screen demister operate 100%?

Still learning, still breaking things...still spending!
John Jones Jr. is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Franklyspeaking's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1998 C280; 1987 560SL
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by John Jones Jr
Quote:
The antenna is built into the rear window. I'd have doubts the antenna (screen) that's at fault, unless the element is damaged.
The rear window has a heating coil and works fine. The past few months I have had to park it outside, and I use it everyday. The antenna is not visible in the rear window glass. I had read some threads that indicated the antennas were visible apart from the heating elements. I see no other wires in the glass. Perhaps this is wrong - are the heating wires and the antenna one and the same?
Franklyspeaking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
M_Davis
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome