Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C180 722.4 shift points

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  georgebuhr 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 C180 with the 722.4 gearbox. I want other owners opinions on when it should shift with your foot flat down.

I have just recently done a fluid and filter change. I drained the torque converter too. But this didn't change the wide open shift points.

The car shifts early in my opinion. It seems to shift through all gears at around 3500 - 3750 rpm if you are at full throttle.

If I shift it manually starting in 2 it will rev out as I would expect. If I then manually shift to 3 again it will rev out no problem only changing when I then manually select D

It can also reluctant to kickdown. It will kick down at low engine speed but not if it is going to bring the engine speed above the 3500 - 3750 range it seems to like. Again if manually downshifting from d to 3 it works and gives me the power for say an overtake.

Once into 4th it will rev past the the 3500 range.

The transmission shifts smoothly. Changes into reverse without a clunk or fuss. Changing the switch from E to S does make it hold gears a little longer before changing up on low/part throttle but it will still change at the same RPM range when at full throttle.

See less See more
#2 ·
Kickdown switch on the floor is bad, it's a common problem and a cheap and easy fix, replace the switch. It should select 2nd / 3rd whenever possible (when the RPMs wouldn't put it above the redline). Other than that, you can adjust the bowden cable at the throttle body to your liking for part throttle behavior. Next time a smug BMW driver tells you his transmission has 11 settings you can reply that yours has as many as you want.

#5 ·
I've removed the switch inside the cabin under the accelerator pedal. It seems that the cap that pushes down on the switch has separated and putting the two back together is lose and sloppy. The cap bit won't stay on.

If I push the cap down I can hear a contact type click as if the main body of the switch is working. Just the cap won't settle or fix properly.

Also the accelerator pedal was actually quite lose, surprised it's held on with plastic nuts at the bottom. I think this play in the pedal has contributed to damaging the kickdown switch.

Is there suppose to be some retaining clip or something to keep the cap bit on the main body of the switch?

Thailand Mercedes want near on 100 USD for this sucker when pelican lists it for 22 USD

(Advanced apologies for my poor terminology)

Attachments

#7 ·
My problem has returned, well kind off. The transmission will mostly short shift second gear. 1st will rev to red line then it changes into 2nd for a few seconds and then into 3rd.

It will mostly also not kick down from 3rd to 2nd.

I say mostly because sometimes it will behave and use the rev range rather than changing at 3500rpm

Any pointers chaps? 1st and 3rd work good

Its frustrating climbing steep hills at 40kmph in 3rd. Mopeds are overtaking me!

It can also shift a little harder than id like but again this isnt all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.