BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: 1999 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Starts After Very Long Rest Between Drives

Hey guys,
In the last few days my car was was very mildly hesitant during starting just a couple of times which I thought was so minor, I ignored it. Yesterday the engine stopped on the road when I slowed down to a stop in rush hour traffic and would not start again. I tried twice in 15 or 20 minute interval and it would not start. My Indy friend told me over the phone sounds like dead battery, which made sense cause just about 2 weeks ago I had it tested at Auto Zone, where it read "bad battery 85%", which surprised me cause there was no indication of bad battery at all. But yes I had bought the battery back in 2006. After about 2 hours it started and I quickly parked it properly but wasn't confident to drive back home. So my friend brought a new battery after work. It cranked up and I drove back home on my driveway. Then in 5 minutes it would not start again, tried in gaps but would not. After about more than an hour it did and I put it in the garage.
So guys, what else could it be? I am thinking did the crank shaft sensor go bad again, cause I was having starting problem (never engine cut off while driving) back in 2011 when replacing the CPS was the fix. Like always I put in OEM and this one was from Bosch.
The pattern I am noticing here is as if its needing long rests between each drive!
Any thoughts or ideas?

ps, I recently replaced the motor and transmission mounts which made my car drive like new and other than that no repairs or any work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Sounds like an electrical issue. Just a stab here, but perhaps the K40 relay?

A few months ago, a gal in the neighborhood had a similar type of issue and it was her K40 - intermittent issue like yours.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: Amethyst 2001 C320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Can you have the codes read? Ideally with the Mercedes 38 pin connector. It’ll cost an hour of shop time at your local dealership but it will save loads of time on guess and check, and you’ll know exactly what’s wrong with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: 1999 C280
(Thread Starter)
Hello my wonderful friends! OBD II at Auto Zone read "P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit" error. They had my sensor for $60 with lifetime warranty and I grabbed it and installed it right there - no more trouble after that. Let's see if it acts up again! This time I did not care for a OEM Bosch part as the life time warranty seemed a pretty good offer. I googled and found the Duralst brand fails lasts for 7-8 years average. Also the sensor looked exactly like the Bosch part except w/o any markings - just a plain body replica of Bosch! Let's see if I made the right decision...
BTW replacing is a snap -
1) Locate the sensor for your engine type using google / youtube (mine is M112).
2) Squeeze and pull off the plug gently and cap it with a 5" size balloon to prevent dirt getting to the contact (yes I learnt that from Hella Service and now I have a pack of 100 or so from Dollar Tree or Party City!)
3) 7mm torx head is what I used to unbolt/bolt back the screw that holds the sensor in its socket and you may use a long extension as it is down on the side of the engine on the ds.

Lets hope that is the happy ending! Thanks a lot guys! See you all next after I replace my AC compressor that is in its own thread!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1995 C280 (165K mi)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Wait so the CPS was the issue again. You already replaced it in 2011. This is odd for it to fail twice like this.

But the signs were there. Hot the car dies cold the car runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in