LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
‘00 C230 Key Won’t Turn?

I recently bought a ‘00 C230 that had some minor problems- rough idle, charging problems, and some other cosmetic things. I spent about a month getting it back in order.
Been driving the car about two weeks with no issues. Runs great, gets great mileage, the whole nine yards.
Yesterday evening I parked the car with the windows and sunroof down, and went inside for a few minutes. When I returned, the key wouldn’t turn.
The steering wheel is relatively straight and has some play- I don’t think this is the issue. My key fob still unlocks and locks the car and functions as usual. When the key is inserted into the car, you can hear a small “click” in the steering column...
Battery is charged. Tried jumping the car, charging and disconnecting battery, no luck.
I am not sure where to go from here. Ordering a new key from Mercedes is a $260 maybe... I don’t even know if that’s the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1980 300CD
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Having the same problem. Read the entire post already on the forum but have additional questions...

I have two keys for my 2000 230C. Neither is working in the ignition. I suspect they are damaged. Attached is a picture you can see that one appears to have a piece of black plastic that is broken that covers the electronics (key on left). Both keys light up, the LED light is there and when I put them in the ignition the car beeps but neither key turns in the ignition. I had only one slight incident before the key stopped working where it hesitated but then the key worked until the very next time I went to turn the car on and it would not work.

I have taken apart both keys and cleaned them but they still won't turn in the ignition. I ordered a new key online and was told I will need a locksmith to sync the new key.

Two questions. In the attached picture is this how the keys are supposed to look? Am I correct in assuming that they are actually broken?
The new key arrives tomorrow - what kind of locksmith am I supposed to be looking for? Can I reprogram the key myself?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0829181343a_Burst01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	2450357  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: '00 E55 AMG - '80 300SD - '83 240D
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
I ordered a new key online and was told I will need a locksmith to sync the new key.

The new key arrives tomorrow - what kind of locksmith am I supposed to be looking for? Can I reprogram the key myself?
I'm sorry, but I don't know who told you the information.

Smart Keys come from Mercedes only. You can't reprogram them or reuse them at all. There are some illegal ways that go about this, but very few people offer that service in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Argh.. I need this car tomorrow. There is nothing Smart about this stupid key. Ordered from here: http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.com

Was told an MB dealer or a locksmith could reprogram it for me. Can I reuse the motherboard in either key in the new Fob? The more I look into this the more confused and frustrated I get.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: '00 E55 AMG - '80 300SD - '83 240D
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Argh.. I need this car tomorrow. There is nothing Smart about this stupid key. Ordered from here: http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.com

Was told an MB dealer or a locksmith could reprogram it for me. Can I reuse the motherboard in either key in the new Fob? The more I look into this the more confused and frustrated I get.
A local locksmith isn't going to have Mercedes key software and I doubt your dealer is going to mess with aftermarket keys.

Mercedes takes key security very seriously.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 11:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Maybe they should take the quality of their cars a little more seriously. No one can steal them if they don't run and this is my fourth and final Mercedes. I have finally learned my lesson. Going to sell this piece of crap and buy a Porsche or a BMW or a Buick. My love affair is officially over.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2000 C230K
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe they should take the quality of their cars a little more seriously. No one can steal them if they don't run and this is my fourth and final Mercedes. I have finally learned my lesson. Going to sell this piece of crap and buy a Porsche or a BMW or a Buick. My love affair is officially over.

Good Luck !!

I hate these keys too. I have bought two of them but over almost two decades. Probably BMW and Porsche use similar tech for their keys. Buick not sure.

Last edited by 200_C230k; 08-29-2018 at 12:17 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1999 C280, 2000 C280, 2000 C230K,2011 C300
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Whatever car you have, you might take better care of your keys.

glenmore
1999, 2000 C280
2000 C230K
2011 C300
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmore View Post
Whatever car you have, you might take better care of your keys.
Hey thanks Dad. You are a genius and a psychic. The picture I submitted was just after I took a hockey stick and whacked them around my marble floors in a fit of boredom. I have to stop doing that.

Or could it be a used car I bought for my daughter that came with two keys - those in the picture AND that they are after all 18 years old. And the problem in the end is the EIS and not the keys.

But thanks for your advice. It always means so much more when it comes from an uninformed source that just can't help but blurt out their useless and unasked for opinion.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: W202 C1997
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Alewissandy & Cowgirl
See post #2 - #7 -#8 in this link here… https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/.../#post-2648037

Dec

Last edited by c180w20294; 09-29-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in