BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 2000 W202 C250 TD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W202 C250 TD Turbo Upgrade

Hi Guys

This is my first time on here, I need some advice on a turbo upgrade for my 1st Benz ever owned. I currently have a 2000 w202 C250TD, I have rebuilt the engine about a year ago with 40 thou bigger pistons. I was looking at putting a T3/T4 turbocharger on my OM605.960, boost was going to be set to 1.5 Bar which was recommended by Dieselmeken since my pump is stock with the 6mm elements, after going through some turbos I feel the GT28 or GT30 would suit me better as this is my daily car & a T3/T4 or even a GT35 may be way to be large for my setup as I'm looking for only 200HP - 250HP max.

Thanks in advance for any information !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 W202 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Welcome (though, to be quite honest, you're not going to get many responses - think there's only about five diesel owners on this forum). Head over to the Superturbodiesel Facebook page (also, not the forum - it's pretty much dead). The guys there will give you pretty good advice.

Where are you located? If you're close enough to Pretoria, I can show you what I've done to mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F R A N S
2000 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi Frans

Thanks, I will give that a shot. Im actually in KZN, Pietermaritzburg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So... recently I've noticed a huge drop in power after 2k rpm, I had a look and I found alot of oil coming through the breather into my intake before my stock turbo charger, so I removed the dip stick and blocked the breather and yeah you guessed it, the oil shot straight out my dip stick so im guessing a broken compression ring which is causing my excessive blow-by...

Going to be opening the motor up on Tuesday to see whats really going on here...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Most OM60x guys have blowby issues - me too. I keep my dipstick tied down with a cable tie, just to be safe (had it pop out a couple of times, but due to my own wrongdoing).

Can't explain the power drop, but the fact that is at a certain engine rpm, suggests it may be something else. How does your engine start?

Is the vacuum line going to your MAP sensor from the intake manifold plugged in and in one piece? Also check the vacuum lines going into the wastegate actuator controller. The stock turbo's wastegate is vacuum controlled; not pressure controlled. So it's a "normally open" system, i.e. once the ECU detects an increase in intake manifold pressure, it will send vacuum to the wastegate to close it, thereby increasing boost pressure. No boost will be generated if either the MAP sensor or vacuum actuator aren't working properly.
TheNabster13 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F R A N S
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans-c View Post
Most OM60x guys have blowby issues - me too. I keep my dipstick tied down with a cable tie, just to be safe (had it pop out a couple of times, but due to my own wrongdoing).
What?

Maybe it's a turbo thing, because I suffer no such issues

W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 NA engine, 5-speed manual
1986 200, OM617 NA engine, 5-speed manual, rev counter

Donkey, not gone, never forgotten...

PlaneCrazy - it's more than a name, it's a life choice!

QUOTES FROM CONSTERNATIUS:

"Inside every small problem is a big problem screaming to get out."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
What?

Maybe it's a turbo thing, because I suffer no such issues
Yup, way more crankcase pressure due to the turbo.

If I remember correctly, your oil cap also bounces around a bit at idle .

F R A N S
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Garage
Nope.

That's just an optical illusion caused by all the stripped threads failing to hold the plastic cover down...

W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 NA engine, 5-speed manual
1986 200, OM617 NA engine, 5-speed manual, rev counter

Donkey, not gone, never forgotten...

PlaneCrazy - it's more than a name, it's a life choice!

QUOTES FROM CONSTERNATIUS:

"Inside every small problem is a big problem screaming to get out."
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 1996 C220 2007 ML320 CDI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Then there's my NA gas M111 on the polar opposite of this spectrum, there's enough vacuum in the valve cover to hold the oil cap on when you twist it open.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans-c View Post

Can't explain the power drop, but the fact that is at a certain engine rpm, suggests it may be something else. How does your engine start?

Is the vacuum line going to your MAP sensor from the intake manifold plugged in and in one piece? Also check the vacuum lines going into the wastegate actuator controller. The stock turbo's wastegate is vacuum controlled; not pressure controlled. So it's a "normally open" system, i.e. once the ECU detects an increase in intake manifold pressure, it will send vacuum to the wastegate to close it, thereby increasing boost pressure. No boost will be generated if either the MAP sensor or vacuum actuator aren't working properly.
Here's an update on my lack of performance issue.

I checked all my vacuum lines, sensors and boost pipes today, as I got to the sensor on the front of the intake near the radiator I found a cable which was loose on the sensor, I tightened the cable in & like magic the power was fully restored.

I have to thank you Frans, you seem to really know your way around these cars

I'm just concerned about the Blow-By because the oil is travelling from the breather through my intake and dripping out the EGR then falling onto the turbo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180721-WA0006.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	2442701  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in