LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
722.600 VS 722.605

I need to replace the transmission in my 1998 C230. It has a 722.600 in it. I have found a cheap 722.605 from an SLK230. What is the difference of these transmissions? Can i use the 722.605? I know the mexican 1997-1998 C230 used the 722.605.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 99 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are many flavors of this transmission. The biggest difference is the gear ratios. Then good thing is there are two flavors. Small NAG, for V6 (4 cyl) applications, and Large NAG, for V8 applications. There are different combinations of clutches, hence all the revisions. The revision numbers xxx (722.XXX) also include the tcu programming.

The transmission you have should work just fine. The electrical portion internal to the transmission, is just a group of solenoids. No intelligence inside.

The later transmissions use a bearing between the input and output shafts. This is a great improvement, and will extend the life of the unit greatly. The roller bearing is not retrofittable to the earlier transmissions. Sonnax makes a repair kit, but usually the transmission has failed catastrophically, and is not repairable without a complete internal gearset.

I believe this change was made in conjunction with the model year 2000 shifter change. This update changed the shifter pattern, the gear encoding (from a voltage output from the shifter to actual canbus control), and the shifter safety interlock. The interlock changed from a cable actuation, to an electrical one.

What this means is if you install a late transmission in an early car, you lose the safety interlock. The car can be shifted out of park at any time. There is no provision on the later transmissions to install the interlock cable

Bellhousing bolt patterns aside, there are also about thirty different torque converters used by the 722.6 transmission. For MB applications, as long as the transmissions come from similar cars (I-4 to I-4) (V-6 to V-6) you should be good. Be sure when you have the transmission bolted to the engine block, you can move the torque converter front to back easily. If it will not move, or is hard against the flexplate, something is wrong. Do not continue, as turning the pump (torque converter) will destroy the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in