LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brakes are not sensitive anymore all the sudden! c230

When i first got my c230 2005 the brakes were so sensitive.
Little pressure and the car stops.
Last year i had to change my brakes but the mechanic said just carve the rotor? or the brakes? seomthing like that so idid.
After he "carved" or shaved it or whatever he did the brakes were so hard.
It lost its sensitivity and it was like old cars where i would have to jamm on the brakes.
I actually got into an accident because of this. My car could have fully stopped if it was sensitive like before but now it wouldnt stop fast.

So last night i changed my rotor and got new brakes.
But it feels the same still.
I tried it at 25 and jammed on the brakes but it felt like the brakes were going to brake and it wouldnt stop fast. Before i would get a whiplash if i jammed on my brakes that hard. Now it feels like stepping on the brakes with the car off. ( like the pressure is so hard)

I called my mechanic and he said theres notthing wrong with it.
and he had no idea what i was talking about.
anyone know what im talking bout and how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi, your mechanic probably "turned" the rotors which is essentially shaving them down to a new flat surface, a practice that is frowned upon for our cars as they require rotor replacement, not turning, and the rotors are economically priced to reflect this.

When you go from very worn pads to new ones, the pedal travel will be less as the new pads are thicker, which makes the brakes seems "hard", but contrary to your experience, it should also make the car stop just as quick or quicker.

This is a total stab in the dark, but I know these cars have a safety feature that activates when it senses a panic stop, thus causing your car to brake 40% faster (or shorter may be the better way of putting it). If this is faulty, which I've never heard of the system having issues, then your car will brake with less stopping power. I assume both places or yourself have checked for leaks in the brake lines, low brake fluid, or old brake fluid, any of which would also affect braking performance... but not instantly unless the mechanic knocked something loose or punctured a line while doing the work.

-Marrs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Coupe Group

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1997 Mercedes C230
SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A VACUUM LEAK TO THE BRAKE BOOSTER SOMEWHERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1998 c230 170K
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Brakes

Well this is obviously a very serious situation because an accident already happened. Given that your mechanic is not taking any responsibility I would suggest finding another.

Anytime I do brake work a line bleeding and inspection of all the brake lines and hoses are done. I am hoping the lines were bled. If not they need to be.

This could be a combination of air in lines, ABS failure (perhaps module), internal master cylinder leak or as mentioned the booster diaphram leaking. Your going to have to have his scanned with a SDS or Snap on professional scanner at the least before another accident occurs.

I really don't know all I would like to know outside the W202 model which yours is not, you may get some alternative advice in the later year forums on this issue. B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 327 HO 04 BAS (WJB,GC) 02-26-04.pdf (1.46 MB, 260 views)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 1997 C230 Sedan, 175,000 miles, 2 owner car, Azure Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by epictofer View Post
SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A VACUUM LEAK TO THE BRAKE BOOSTER SOMEWHERE
I thought this as well. also, what type of pads were installed on the car?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
(Thread Starter)
i have no idea what kinds but i trust my mechanic. hes not the one that shaved it. thats my old guy but he did that so i can save cost. But it is not the same anymore after i shaved it. i tohught it would be back to normal after i got my new brakes n rotor but its not
and my mech says theres nothing wrong with it he did inspection n test drove it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in