post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1998 C280 Sport 2002 C320 2007 C230 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
98 C280 Motor Mount Install, Help!

I'm debating whether to install these myself and looking for some advice. I have done radiators, ignition coils and do all my fluids but a liitle concerned to do the Motor mounts. I have read the DIY and seen the pics, my question is on my year and model would I have to take the AC compressor and belt off to get the driver side MM out? Any opinion and help appreciated. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 96' C220
Post Take it easy...

You will have to jack the motor up slightly to R/R the mount. Do one side at a time. Just have someone watch the impact areas your concerned about and go for it. It's not the easiest DIY but it sounds like you can handle it.

Good Luck!

C as in 220
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
All the experts on this thread and no other help!! Sure would like to hear from a few people who have done my model and year to confirm what parts come off. Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 99 C280
W210 M104 motor mount replacement:1996/1997 E320 Motor Mount Replacement

Yours should be similar.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
I did this a couple of months ago on my '98 C280. Not too hard of a job. You do have to remove the AC Compressor from the engine block, but do not have to disconnect the hoses. Removing the alternator is also needed. There may be a way to get the old mounts out without removing those components, but I do not see how, the motor mounts are huge.

I had the car up on ramps. Everything was done from underneath. The upper bolts on the motor mounts are a bit tough to get to, especially on the drivers side. I use a box-end ratchet and it worked fine. There is not a lot of room up there to get a socket on. The bottom bolts are easy to get too. Once the bolts are out, I used a 2X4 wood block under the oil pan and a floor jack to raise the engine. Basically jacked it up as far as I could. The drivers side motor mount still took some patience to get out, basically moving it around and finding the right angle so it would slide through the space left by moving the AC Compressor. I was doing this alone, I have read where it might be easier to get the mount out if someone is turning the wheels while you do it, but can't attest to that.

I used Febu replacement mounts, they came with some sort of rubber cover things. Initially I tried to install them with the rubber things, but those interfere with the little positioning tab on the top. I tossed the rubber things, not sure what they are for.

Once you get the mounts in place, start the top bolts and tighten them up a bit, but leave it a little loose so you can move the mount a bit to line up the bottom bolts. The heat shields make it a bit of a hassle to start the bolts, but just need to fumble around a bit.

Once the top bolts are started, lower the engine a bit, so the mounts are close to touching the lower part, but not quite. Get the bottom bolts started (might need to move the mount at this point and that is why it was left a bit loose). Once the bottom bolts are started, lower the engine the rest of the way and tighten everything up.

I was replacing my water pump at the same time I did this, so there might have been more clearance in the front as I had the fan shroud off. I don't think this matter much though.

Good Luck!

1998 C280
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hookster, thanks so much for the detailed post and all the information. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
just did mine today on '99 c280, few hours of work i did not remove the a/c compressor i found after some work it can come out the back between the idler arm and transfer case. have to take out the alternator but thats not bad, deff worth it, i didnt think they were that bad but once i took them out i got hydraulic oil all over my hands so it was time. but deff a diy job will save you hundreds in labor
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: 1999 C280
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Hookster,
I am planning to replace the mounts on my 99 c280 (M112) and wanted to quickly check with you -
What tool did you use to torque tighten the top bolts after installing the new mounts to 55Nm? or did you just do it manually by way of feel?
Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in