BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did this a couple of months ago on my '98 C280. Not too hard of a job. You do have to remove the AC Compressor from the engine block, but do not have to disconnect the hoses. Removing the alternator is also needed. There may be a way to get the old mounts out without removing those components, but I do not see how, the motor mounts are huge.
I had the car up on ramps. Everything was done from underneath. The upper bolts on the motor mounts are a bit tough to get to, especially on the drivers side. I use a box-end ratchet and it worked fine. There is not a lot of room up there to get a socket on. The bottom bolts are easy to get too. Once the bolts are out, I used a 2X4 wood block under the oil pan and a floor jack to raise the engine. Basically jacked it up as far as I could. The drivers side motor mount still took some patience to get out, basically moving it around and finding the right angle so it would slide through the space left by moving the AC Compressor. I was doing this alone, I have read where it might be easier to get the mount out if someone is turning the wheels while you do it, but can't attest to that.
I used Febu replacement mounts, they came with some sort of rubber cover things. Initially I tried to install them with the rubber things, but those interfere with the little positioning tab on the top. I tossed the rubber things, not sure what they are for.
Once you get the mounts in place, start the top bolts and tighten them up a bit, but leave it a little loose so you can move the mount a bit to line up the bottom bolts. The heat shields make it a bit of a hassle to start the bolts, but just need to fumble around a bit.
Once the top bolts are started, lower the engine a bit, so the mounts are close to touching the lower part, but not quite. Get the bottom bolts started (might need to move the mount at this point and that is why it was left a bit loose). Once the bottom bolts are started, lower the engine the rest of the way and tighten everything up.
I was replacing my water pump at the same time I did this, so there might have been more clearance in the front as I had the fan shroud off. I don't think this matter much though.