post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: E36 AMG & C36 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C36 AMG W202 M104 gearbox problem

hi, im pretty new here so i dont know, if im posting in the right place!

i got a problem with the box wont go into 3rd or 4th. use to slip between these gears now they are gone! changed oil and filter still same! reverse gear is like its jammed between park and reverse press gas down and jerks back.. changed the box with a 2nd hand one off ebay.. its like the gearing is all wrong, changes too early, then the 3rd and 4th gears started slipping again after a few days, changed the oil again and now the 3rd and 4th wont stay in gear!

i pulled the vacuume line from the box! still the same. does anyone know if this is electrical? or if an electrical problem could cause this? its a 95 so has the dodgy wiring, thinking of swapping over my 96 c280 wiring, the connectors are different on the updated m104. mecahnic friend says that torque convertor needs replacing. any advcice??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Driving a Mercedes AMG, Wow!

current cars:
E36 AMG (W210)
C36 AMG

previous cars:
C280 Sport
W124 300E 24 Sportline
300E
220 (1972)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 1996 C36 ///AMG and a 1995 C280 sport
Hello and Welcome!
Ok first off try to re-post this in the W202 AMG section here- W202 C36 AMG, C43 AMG - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Well this could be wiring harness related especially if you replaced the tranny and still got the same issues. Are you using the correct fluid? is the level correct? How are you treating these trannys during operation? the 2ND tranny that you got, was it in good working order when you first bought it? and was it the correct one? The C36 -'95 and '96's have the tranny off of the 500E So they are NOT C280 ones.. (asking just incase..)

C36 ///AMG (1 of 50 shipped to Canada)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One moment it's a cruising luxury car,, and in the matter of a flash it turns into an all out Muscle Hot rod...

"Its an AMG, completely handmade engine, by one person. The M104 AMG engine is in my opinion the best engine ever made. Its so over done its ridiculous" (LAMF)

Last edited by BenzMaster19; 12-15-2009 at 02:38 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 94' W202 C220 swap M104 3.2 L6
Send a message via MSN to EZZK
What's your tranny?4AT?
It seems your clutch of tranny's wearing out&wrong gearshift settings.
I dunno if there're any good tranny rebuilder at your place.
If your tranny is 722.3/722.4,
you can rebuild it and then calibrate your ATF operation-pressure&shift rpm.
The opeartion-pressure is a key point for these trannies.
Not only for reliablity,but also for performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: C180 Estate 1998 040 black
Points and quality of changing gears, particularly when throttle is opened in not max position, are set by modulating pressure, which can be tune by link between throttle and gearbox (also in 722.4!) or turning the pad in regulator of pressure modulation (in gearbox; rather complicated procedure). To ensure, disconnect the vacuum cable which is depend of shift points retarding and S/E modes (should be near the ECUs and it should be black-gray cable connected with two electrovalves and vacuum distributor). In this case gearbox will be working in S mode and without points retarding independent of coolant temperature.

When you do that, try to lengthen or to shorten the link (the string) between throttle and tranny. In M111 (C220/C230) looks like that (number 1):

If the link will be shorted, the gears will be longer (more RPMs to change gears) and when will be longer, gearbox will be changing almost immediately

Some says, the link should be loose when accelerator pedal does not press and the link should be taut in full pressed pedal. (Too short string can be jerky, careful!).

1995 C200 Sport + afterlifting parts.

;

have: 1995 C200 136PS mum's, 1999 C230K 225PS T dad's, 1998 C180 122PS T mine

ex: C200 Sport, C180 Classic, C180 Esprit T-model, CLK 230K,

Last edited by [PL]Camel-; 12-16-2009 at 10:41 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: E36 AMG & C36 AMG
(Thread Starter)
thanks guys for the help! the 36 box is a 722.328 its not quite the same gearing as the 500E. the vacuume line i pulled was green.

is it possible that i runned the clutchs becuase of the wrong gear change settings? or may be wrong toruqe convertor!!

problem is i bought a C36 AMG gearbox off ebay, picked it up close to where i live. guy seems genuine, he told me he took it out of this wrecked car w202. i took the chassis number and checked the gearbox code. it was the right gearing 722.328, i then paid another person to fit the box but he has no knowelge of how to set it up!

after he swaped the box over driving the car seemed to be strange. i lost all power that i had before. when driving, as it changed into 3rd it went striaght into 4th at about 3.5k revs. couldnt go past this point!

when i checked the oil 2 days later, it was all burnt out! dont know if he drianed the torque convertor or what! so i changed the oil. dextron 3 semi-synthetic, exactly the same oil as in my E36 AMG car which has the exact same gearbox and has no problems at all! the oil level is spot on.

drove it and it seemed bad, slipping like mad from 3rd to 4th. as soon as i got it back i didnt know if i been ripped off! seemed like i got the totally wrog gearbox in the car! and car had no power! not like the usual racing car.

anyway i dont know what to do next! whether to buy another 2nd hand gearbox or to have the gearbox refurbished! my original one i mean!

i can get another 2nd hand gearbox from a guy who is breaking an E36 for a 1/3rd the price of refurbishing and have it fitted so say half the price of a refurbished gearbox.

im worreid if i get it refurbed, that they dont use the correct parts! or if i put another 2nd box on and its not setup right, is it possible to ruin the torque convertor or the clutch bands inside?

is it right that the 722.3 gearboxes are all the same just the gearing is different?

just querious, if i altered the bowden cable would it stop slipping? change gear in a different place or does it sound like my torque convertor has gone?

many questions i know! just wish i knew more about whats going on. i have been thinking of buying the gearbox manual and new torque convertor + clutch band kit and doing it myself. dont really know how intensive this is.

Driving a Mercedes AMG, Wow!

current cars:
E36 AMG (W210)
C36 AMG

previous cars:
C280 Sport
W124 300E 24 Sportline
300E
220 (1972)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W202 C-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in