Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W201 190-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/)
-   -   Water pump replacement on 92 190E 2.6 (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/554057-water-pump-replacement-92-190e-2-a.html)

croger 10-16-2002 08:09 AM

Water pump replacement on 92 190E 2.6

Any reason I should not do this myself?
Any hints/links to instructions/DIY guides?
I have a pretty good coolant leak originating
from the bottom of the pump. I need to replace the
serpentine belt and since the radiator will be off,
I thought the pump would be pretty accessible.

magic 10-17-2002 06:21 AM

it's a 2 hour job I just did it. You don't need to remove the radiator at all, very acc...

it's a 2 hour job I just did it. You don't need to remove the radiator at all, very accessible.
Hmmm let me see if I remember
1. Drain Coolant
2. take of main fan, 10mm wrench, comes off real easy
3. take off belt, self explanatory
4. take off the 4 torx screws, be careful, they are tricky
5. take off the electromagnet for the fan, it's easier this way because it blocks some of the screws holding the pump
6. take off all the screws holding the pump, I think there is only 2 different kinds if memory serves right
7. Unplug all the electronic sensors, this can be done at any stage really, I just forgot to plug it in earlier [8D]
8. Pull off the hoses, careful coolant flowing out of them, don't flood your alternator
9. pull off the pump, take out the temp sensor and plug it into the new pump
10. Clean off the old gasket, and prep the new one with silicone on the new pump
11. make sure everything is superb, it's your car right?
12. put on the new pump and put the car back together
13. refill with coolant, leave the fill cap off, remember to replace the drain plug back.
14. Start the car, put vent fan on lowest setting, turn heat to max and wait for fan to come on
15. Add collant as the system is purged of air
16. you're done :)

Hope I didn't miss anything

croger 10-17-2002 07:53 AM

Re: it's a 2 hour job I just did it. You don't need to remove the radiator at all, very acc

Thanks for the details! ...and the time estimate. The dealer says 7 hours (at least that is what he would charge me for). Unfortunately, on the '92 2.6 the radiator needs to come off so the belt can come off and you can get to the pulleys... not that big of a job, though, since it has to be drained and disconnected anyway.

[quote]

it's a 2 hour job I just did it. You don't need to remove the radiator at all, very accessible
...>8

mbfanatic 10-17-2002 08:11 AM

you forgot to remove your fan shroud thou ...

you forgot to remove your fan shroud thou

magic 10-18-2002 12:13 AM

Oh yea, forgot about that, the fan shoroud came off on mine, sorry [:D]...

Oh yea, forgot about that, the fan shoroud came off on mine, sorry [:D]

driver450190 08-12-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic (Post 554065)
it's a 2 hour job I just did it. You don't need to remove the radiator at all, very accessible.

2hrs? You must be a master tech. Doing it on my 2.6 and it looks like it's going to be easily 10 hours. I'd like to see anyone do this job in 2hrs. I would pay you $200 to do it. Labor plus parts.

sranjesuper 08-12-2012 07:37 PM

the guy was describing the job on a 2.3

but OP has a 2.6

i did this a long time ago and i think it is easier to remove the rad for any work on the engine IMO, since it is quiet easy to remove. Especially if your AC doesnt have any freon, then you can just rip the whole unit out as one..

twichel04 08-12-2012 08:35 PM

Yeah the 2.6 is a little more tricky, but can be done in 2-3 hours depending on skill level. do your self a favor and take the 5 extra min to remove the radiator, it will save you alot of time and frustration in the end.

es250nut 08-12-2012 09:38 PM

I did it without removing the radiator. Of course, I had the head off along with the intake. I think, I could do just the water pump in 2 hours by itself. Maybe three or four if beer is involved.

ghartin 08-13-2012 06:32 AM

With the radiator off the job is easier and gives good access to other parts you might want to look at such as worn pulleys, CPS, belt tensioner, hoses, and crankshaft seal. Also a good time to have the radiator cleaned.