post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: Mercedes w126 300SD W123 300D w123 220 w201 190E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
190E Megasquirt advice on TACH, A/C and IGN timing

I have been attempting to convert my 1993 190E 2.6 to a megasquirt ECU.
So far i have the car running and idling with the IAC unplugged but, i have a few issues ilike a better understanding of.
I removed the original ECU to make room thinking that i would just tackle all of the issues as i carried on so no looking back . I did keep the MAS relay however

1. What kind of signal does the EZL send to the Tachometer and A/C? I want to make the tachometer work using the megasquirt tachometer output, i know that the EZL gets its tach signal from the flywheels teeth. m102s have 2 teeth and m103s have 3 teeth. im assuming that the EZLs differ in electronics to compensate. Is there any way i could wire in the mega squirt tach output to the EZL? I purchased an EZL from a 1984 M102 190E at the junkyard as i saw the input for the tach on the EZL was attatched to the distributor instead of the bellhousing/flywheel teeth. i made the assumtion it was possible the distributor fired once per rotation which would be perfect as i could scale it down 50% and possibly use the megasquirt output as a suppliment for the distributors tach input? does anyone have any info on how it works? i didn't have the tools to disassemble the distributor myself.

2. how do i hotwire the A/C? i attached the leftmost wire on the A?C to power and watched the clutch kick on. but the A/C never blew cold. I know it worked before i started the project so did it all leak out or is there an issue somewhere elts that i could be facing.

3. Im having trouble with ignition timing. Ive been reading some of the forums on ignition timing and how removing the resistor would increase ignition timing. But ive found mixed answers on exactly what timing is used at which RPM at Which fuel. The resistor does not matter to me at all because the stock ECU is gone but im assuming someone might have some info on ignition timing for m103s?
here is what i know
( stolen from peach parts IDK if i can link those in here...)
750 ohm OE resistor:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] (maximum)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Zero ohm - plug shorted
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Infinite ohm - open circuit
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Assuming i can compy the infinite ohm one which i have done i still dont seem to get much power.
ive tried setting the timing to 43 degrees at 3500rpms and upward but it doesent feel like its as powerful as it was with CIS. does anyone have any better advice for gaining power? Im putting a 5 speed in from a m102 sometime this week and i would like to make progress before i do so in order not to mix up my testing.

I plan to do a full write up when i get the car in better shape, this forum could use a guide on megasquirt as these cars seem to be very capable racecars and there is no proper write up on a conversion process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition-1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2533804  
Teutone and RolandTiangco like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:00 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrostenson View Post
I have been attempting to convert my 1993 190E 2.6 to a megasquirt ECU.
So far i have the car running and idling with the IAC unplugged but, i have a few issues ilike a better understanding of.
I removed the original ECU to make room thinking that i would just tackle all of the issues as i carried on so no looking back . I did keep the MAS relay however

1. What kind of signal does the EZL send to the Tachometer and A/C? I want to make the tachometer work using the megasquirt tachometer output, i know that the EZL gets its tach signal from the flywheels teeth. m102s have 2 teeth and m103s have 3 teeth. im assuming that the EZLs differ in electronics to compensate. Is there any way i could wire in the mega squirt tach output to the EZL? I purchased an EZL from a 1984 M102 190E at the junkyard as i saw the input for the tach on the EZL was attatched to the distributor instead of the bellhousing/flywheel teeth. i made the assumtion it was possible the distributor fired once per rotation which would be perfect as i could scale it down 50% and possibly use the megasquirt output as a suppliment for the distributors tach input? does anyone have any info on how it works? i didn't have the tools to disassemble the distributor myself.

2. how do i hotwire the A/C? i attached the leftmost wire on the A?C to power and watched the clutch kick on. but the A/C never blew cold. I know it worked before i started the project so did it all leak out or is there an issue somewhere elts that i could be facing.

3. Im having trouble with ignition timing. Ive been reading some of the forums on ignition timing and how removing the resistor would increase ignition timing. But ive found mixed answers on exactly what timing is used at which RPM at Which fuel. The resistor does not matter to me at all because the stock ECU is gone but im assuming someone might have some info on ignition timing for m103s?
here is what i know
( stolen from peach parts IDK if i can link those in here...)
750 ohm OE resistor:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Zero ohm - plug shorted
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Infinite ohm - open circuit
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Assuming i can compy the infinite ohm one which i have done i still dont seem to get much power.
ive tried setting the timing to 43 degrees at 3500rpms and upward but it doesent feel like its as powerful as it was with CIS. does anyone have any better advice for gaining power? Im putting a 5 speed in from a m102 sometime this week and i would like to make progress before i do so in order not to mix up my testing.

I plan to do a full write up when i get the car in better shape, this forum could use a guide on megasquirt as these cars seem to be very capable racecars and there is no proper write up on a conversion process.
Hopefully, our resident experts will chime in.
In the meantime, on W201 click top right 'Search this Forum' followed by clicking 'Advanced Search.'
In the left column under Keywords, type 'megasquirt' mark off search topics only, or search entire posts on top. Make sure you clicked 'topics' or 'posts' on the bottom as well. That should get you everything from the archive.
Cheers
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in