post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 1987 190E 2.3 16v
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1993 190E 2.3L No Power at Kickdown

I'm not sure how to explain this exactly, but the battery in my daughter's 190E died a few weeks ago. So, after I replaced the battery I decided to drive it for a day. It ran fine on the way to work, but it started acting up on the way home. As long as I didn't try to kick it down it was fine, but if I tried to push it the engine would loose timing. The more I tried to push it the worse it got until I was literally idling along. Absolutely no power, but it idled fine. When I got home I checked the plugs and they were looking a little lean. So, I changed the fuel filter, but nothing changed. What's strange is if I unplug the ISV it idles up and the engine revs normally. However, changing the ISV out made no difference as it eventually went back to driving poorly. I changed the plug wires and checked the cap and rotor the other night, and after resetting the ISV I drove it for about 30 minutes. I stopped at the auto parts store, and when I came out it was the same as before. It runs great until you need it to go then it looses all power and it just keeps getting worse. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:52 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
.Check all the vacuum pipes for cracks and splits in the rubber coupling that go on to each item for splits or damage . Fuses in fuse box give them a turn for now .But if white metal fuses these need changing out for ceramic and brass later on .Come back after this exercise .Sound a little like a bad earth ,like engine to body or even the battery clamp on the battery .

Last edited by plinker17722; 07-24-2019 at 01:56 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:21 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
POT

Also could just be the Air Flow Potentiometer if this little part is bad, and worn like picture ,left one is worn right one is replacement.This will show up like no response as you push the gas peddle down . Now on your throttle cable you should find a small micro switch just press it and see if this clicks .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00077-20100611-1049.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2530274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, I checked all the fuses and I've already replaced most of the vacuum lines. However, when I checked the WOT switch, I found it already depressed/activated. So, I adjusted my throttle cable and tested the switch. It ohmed out at 1.7 closed. The throttle potentiometer has a spot that is rubbed through. It has most of the black on it still but is definitely rubbed through in one spot. I will replace it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:37 PM

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dolucasi
Since the whole deal started with a dead battery, I assume you purchased an all in one USB charger and voltmeter dirt cheap and monitored your charging system while driving, etc.
Any chance you still have voltage issues? Worth checking into if you have not done so already....

BTW, a small worn spot on your AFM pot will not cause you any grief. Mine is original at 195K miles and has a small worn spot. No driving issues whatsoever.
I have purchased a BOSCH pot for future use but have never replaced mine as car drives like new (knock on wood)

Also the BOSCH pot is $220, a lot of money for an experiment. Do not go to china for this one, you will regret it....
Hopefully I am not preaching to the quire here.

- Cheers!
raed_jan likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I did check for proper voltage when I installed the battery. However, I did not do a driving voltage check. I will do that. Also, I bought my daughter a Scion but she prefers this old 190E. I try not to spare any experience when purchasing parts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE: After doing a voltage check I found that the alternator was putting out 18.6 volts. I replaced it after it blew the circuit breaker on the tester at the auto parts store. The car is running better, but it still gets really "cloudy" when you push it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in