Diff oil level while changing rear differential fluid in 2.3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 87 190e automatic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Diff oil level while changing rear differential fluid in 2.3

I have read on various sources that the gear oil capacity is 0.7L. I bought a quart of gear oil (apprx 970ml). I used the hose method with the funnel attached.

had the car jacked up on drivers side to facilitate access. Dumped the oil in. there was some left in the hose (< half the hose) maybe 100-150ml at most.

let car down to level and let excess drain out. Nothing drain out. Atleast 800ml in.

Seems the level of the drain plug is greater than 0.7L

Many people fill to level of drain plug and let drain out. Maybe that is overfilling it, maybe better maybe worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:10 PM

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dolucasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240driver View Post
I have read on various sources that the gear oil capacity is 0.7L. I bought a quart of gear oil (apprx 970ml). I used the hose method with the funnel attached.

had the car jacked up on drivers side to facilitate access. Dumped the oil in. there was some left in the hose (< half the hose) maybe 100-150ml at most.

let car down to level and let excess drain out. Nothing drain out. Atleast 800ml in.

Seems the level of the drain plug is greater than 0.7L

Many people fill to level of drain plug and let drain out. Maybe that is overfilling it, maybe better maybe worse.
I am wondering if you are using drain and fill plugs in your description above interchangeably.

If you fill with the driver side raised you will definitely under fill because of the tilt of the car (the fill plug is on the passenger side). If you fill with the passenger side up you will inevitably overfill.

This is why it is best filled when the car is level.

- Cheers!
slk230red likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:58 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Remove top fill plug first but clean the area beforehand . Do this first just in case you are unable to remove it after you have drained off all of your trans oil , and you wont be able to re fill it if this plug is stuck for any reason .Then drain off the old transmission fluid .Lock up and then refill with new oil All should be done on the flat to get the right fluid level in transmission .

This is a retro ride .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
My fill plug (higher up the diff) is on the drivers side and drain plug (at bottom of diff) is on the passenger side. That is how it seems to be in all the pics on the internet as well.

In regards to filling the car level or jacked, it seems that it should not matter as long as the the car is down and level before the fill plug is reinserted.

The reasoning is that if the car is jacked allowing the diff to be overfilled, then the car is lowered to be level, the excess oil should drain out the fill hole. (this is all operating under the idea that the fill plug is the level indicator for the differential oil. If it is, then the car can not be overfilled theoretically, because it will drain out the fill plug when the car is level)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 1989 190e 2.6
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like some variance in MB's spec. This says 1.2qt, I'd fill until it drains, I'll be doing that this weekend actually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	2523926  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranelloboy05 View Post
Looks like some variance in MB's spec. This says 1.2qt, I'd fill until it drains, I'll be doing that this weekend actually.
Yeah, I had read that number as well. My understanding was that it was 0.7 for the 2.3 and 1.2 for the 2.6. I am going to fill until it drains anyways for good measure, I feel better about that than potentially leaving it low.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240driver View Post
Yeah, I had read that number as well. My understanding was that it was 0.7 for the 2.3 and 1.2 for the 2.6. I am going to fill until it drains anyways for good measure, I feel better about that than potentially leaving it low.
Yeah, its strange that both the owners manual and maintenance manual stipulate different fill amounts for engine oil based on the engine, but then they don't for the diff which has two different fills mentioned. Since I have a 2.6 I'm going off the 1.2qts. What fluid are you using?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I used lucas gear oil, 80w-90. seemed like a good middle of the road choice. Lucas has a good reputation and it was a reasonable price. What are you going to use?

I changed the fluid because I have a audible clunk when switching into reverse and back into driver after the car is driven a little ways and warmed up, but it does not do the clunk when the car is cold. The clunk is still there, maybe it is a flex plate or U joint.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
I've been chasing so many driveline clunks I don't know where to start. I'm doing trans fluid as well as I believe that is where my issues are originating, one of which is D/R change clunk. I swapped in a new diff which at least one the ground at no freeplay within it so unless it magically blew itself up I believe my issues are elsewhere. I've got a light clunk on letting off the throttle as well as some whine from the new diff I'm trying to get rid of. I'm using 75w140 as from what I've heard the higher weights are closer to what w90 was back in the 90s. Apparently the stats of the viscosity of fluid have been changed in the last few years but who knows.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 PM

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dolucasi
How many miles were on the replaced diff? My diff started clunking (not whining) at about 90K miles. Usually when load is removed as in shifting with the manual clutch. 100K miles later at 190K the clunk is worse and it also whines now. Careful clutch action avoids the clunk but it sure is annoying.

I have read someplace that there is some sort of sleeve around the driveshaft going into the diff that wears out.
Don't know if that is serviceable.

I think the whining is just a worn differential. I may have already mentioned this. Wonder is there is a preferred gear oil to minimize the whine.

- Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in