post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NO START ?

I was out doing errands today and has no truckers with my 1990 190E until I came home and stop in the driveway. I noticed that both the ABS and CE light were glowing dim just before I turned the engine off. When I tried to restart the engine nothing happens. The gauges and warning lights all come on but there is no click from the starter. I would like to know where I should begin to diagnose this problem. Is there a fuse or relay that could be faulty? I would not want to have to jack up the car to check the starter connections because it is very wet outside at the moment and not very warm either. I would like to check the other symptoms before jacking up the car. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Good news but now I am as curious as ever. I went out and tried to start the car again bout 3 hours after it failed to start and it fired up quickly as it usually does. I can't trust it now so where to begin?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What can happen sometimes on automatic cars is the neutral safety switch can go bad (you can only engage starter with transmission in P or N) in that case try moving the shifter while pressing the starter (with handbrake on for safety) if it starts then you know what the problem is.

if that doesn't work then next time it doesn't start find x27 or hook up a meter to the starter solenoid to see if when you press the key you get power and start diagnosing it from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
OK. I will try the move the shifter while engaging the key to the start position. Is there a connection from the ignition switch solenoid wire to the solenoid under the hood that could be used to check for 12V power or maybe use as a jumper wire location in the event the switch is bad? I live in a very remote area and if I break down it is a long wait for help so I always look for alternate ways of a quick fix.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I was driving in heavy rain mixed with snow today just before the no start problem. I wonder if the contacts on the neutral safety switch are just dirty?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

look at page 16 of this wiring diagram:
https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/.../PDF/01002.pdf

you will see that the power goes from starter switch -> electrical box -> nss -> electrical box -> x27 -> starter solenoid

on page 244 figure 6 you will see where the connector x27 is

good luck
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
christuna, Many thanks. The website link that you posted doesn't seem to open but I did find another site that helped to locate the ignition wire path. I think I will make a jumper wire so that in the event the car won't start again I will bypass the ignition switch and Neutral safety switch. If it is the starter motor then I will know that also. Laura
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

good to hear Laura. I just checked the link now and it works make sure your browser can open pdf files or try a different browser. If you can't then x27 is right next to the brake booster.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
christuna, When I try to open the link that you posted it says "site temporarily closed for maintenance......etc." It is OK I found the connection (nice of Mercedes to put it there) and I made a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the ignition wire and tested it. In the event this no start happens again I will at least have a way to get the car started again if the problem ever returns.
I am thinking that when I stopped the car I was on a slight incline and before I put the shift lever into Park I pulled the Parking Brake up hard so the car wouldn't roll back and then move the shifter lever to Park. When I first tried to restart and it failed I could not get the shift lever to move as I wanted to try to start the car in Neutral. I tried several times to get the lever to move and it did so only after I release the Parking Brake. I wonder if this somehow affected the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
OOPs!! No Start Again?

I guess I was too smug after all. This morning while returning home from church the Mercedes suddenly quit just a 1/4 mile from home. The first indicator was no turn signals and then the engine suddenly quit. When I tried a restart I got nothing from the starter and the dash warning lights would not light up except the ABS and the CE? I tried my jumper wire by disconnecting the ignition wire at the connection under the hood and applied power to the wire running to the starter solenoid direct from the positive battery terminal. I got a spark which would suggest the 12V was grounding but it was a weak spark but not so much as a click? I guess it could be a dead battery or a dead solenoid but why no ignition lights or turn signals. ? The battery is new and the battery discharge light never came on while the car was running. I have a friend who will help me tow the car home and can work on it from here and I will check the battery condition etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in