"circuit 50 failure" fault code and relation to ignition system - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 06:58 AM

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dolucasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjamesgiese View Post
Hey man, I must've missed this.

I do get a mild clunk every now and then when coming off gas. But it hasn't been pronounced enough for me to really worry about it.

I'll listen more closely next drive. What year is your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think that was because I edited the reply later. So a notification was probably never sent out.

Mine is '89 at 180K miles. The mild clunking started at 100Kmiles and got progressively worse. I do not think it is fatal, just annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Vehicle: 1991 190e 2.6L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey Dolucasi,
Iíve got a manual Ď91 2.6L w/210k and experience the same clunk. Mine is pretty noticeable and extremely annoying. Iíve grabbed the driveshaft and rear axle shafts to feel for play. Both have what seems like normal play, but the clunk I hear when accelerating/decelerating seems disproportionately loud compared to the play I feel by hand. Iíve always wondered if an adjustment could be made to get rid of it.

Roland
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandTiangco View Post
Hey Dolucasi,
Iíve got a manual Ď91 2.6L w/210k and experience the same clunk. Mine is pretty noticeable and extremely annoying. Iíve grabbed the driveshaft and rear axle shafts to feel for play. Both have what seems like normal play, but the clunk I hear when accelerating/decelerating seems disproportionately loud compared to the play I feel by hand. Iíve always wondered if an adjustment could be made to get rid of it.

Roland
Hi Roland,

I believe this a design defect/weakness. I have heard that there is a piece/shim in or around the incoming shaft that wears out and causes this. Mine has a little play as well but not that excessive. I would say my play is about half an inch at the outer diameter of the rear wheel.It only happens when the torque is removed/reversed. I have gotten pretty good at shifting that I can avoid it most of the time but not always. Seems the sound is amplified in the car.

Automatics must be putting less torque on the differential and do not suffer from this annoyance.

I'm thinking short of rebuilding the differential, the best way is to find a low mileage automatic donor from the JY and swap in the differential. Seems like a lot of work though.
I have not seen a low mileage W201 lately around me. Last time was over a year ago.
Also it needs to match the cluster. Pre '90 for me and post '90 for you. Our differentials are different ratio's (your engine rev's higher than mine). I suppose if it is low mileage one can swap out the cluster with it (as it will be new looking). But for me I prefer the lower rev'ving engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6, 300E, Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolucasi View Post
Hi Roland,

I believe this a design defect/weakness. I have heard that there is a piece/shim in or around the incoming shaft that wears out and causes this. Mine has a little play as well but not that excessive. I would say my play is about half an inch at the outer diameter of the rear wheel.It only happens when the torque is removed/reversed. I have gotten pretty good at shifting that I can avoid it most of the time but not always. Seems the sound is amplified in the car.

Automatics must be putting less torque on the differential and do not suffer from this annoyance.

I'm thinking short of rebuilding the differential, the best way is to find a low mileage automatic donor from the JY and swap in the differential. Seems like a lot of work though.
I have not seen a low mileage W201 lately around me. Last time was over a year ago.
Also it needs to match the cluster. Pre '90 for me and post '90 for you. Our differentials are different ratio's (your engine rev's higher than mine). I suppose if it is low mileage one can swap out the cluster with it (as it will be new looking). But for me I prefer the lower rev'ving engine.
I get a mild clunk from the rear end of my car under the same circumstances (but I have an automatic). I've always assumed that the clunk was worn rear subframe bushes, however my differential does hum when you let off the gas between 65 and 80 MPH.

I know enough to be dangerous...

1992 190E 2.6 (Supreme) - 244,000 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 VW Jetta 1.4T (Jellybean) - 15,660 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 560SL (Paragon) - 90,741 miles

Past MBs:
1986 420SEL (Bismark)
1988 300E (bondobuggy)

REPLACE YOUR FUEL FILTERS
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Cabral View Post
I get a mild clunk from the rear end of my car under the same circumstances (but I have an automatic). I've always assumed that the clunk was worn rear subframe bushes, however my differential does hum when you let off the gas between 65 and 80 MPH.
Yep, yours has a lot of miles Cabral if memory is not failing me, so sooner or later it will happen even to an automatic. I do not believe it is the subframe bushings, that would have been easy to fix.

The differential hum is another sign of the differential wearing out. I have that too.
Easier to hear with a manual shifting from 4th to 5th gear at high speed (>60MPH).

This is why I suggested low mileage automatics are best for donors. The car I raided for all cylinder head parts and instrument cluster would have been perfect for this. The entire car was in great shape, and it was a '90 to match my year. Too late now. If I see another JY car like that, I'l jump on the differential.

BTW, I confronted the dealer almost 20 years ago about this clunk and they kept giving me the runaround. Replaced my flex discs etc. Of course it did not fix the problem. That was 20 years 80K miles ago, the clunk is of course worse now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in