BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Vehicle: 1991 190e 2.6L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Post - New Owner - 2.6L Manual

Hi All,
First post here. I'm a longtime gearhead living (stuck) in NYC. I've been into motorcycles lately, but came back around and found my first car in several years (NYC doesn't make it easy to drive, let alone wrench on cars).

This weekend I picked up a 1991 190e 2.6L with the manual gearbox. I understand these are somewhat rare with the manual transmission. (?) In any case the exterior and interior are in great great shape for a car this age. The car's been in the same family all its life, and has about 200K on the odo. Everything in the cockpit works perfectly.

The shocks were shot and the shifting felt a little dull, not crisp. Shifter felt vague, but I'm not familiar with this transmission at all. Almost felt like the shift linkages were covered in sludge. Steering was very sloppy/loose and needs attention. Was not responsive.

The engine pulled well. No signs of leaks underneath. No smoke. P.O. said it drinks a quart of oil every few tanks of gas. The P.O.'s wife used the car primarily as transport to the train station about a mile away from home. Its been stored indoors for about 80% of its life.

I wasn't terribly thorough with the inspection because A) I judged the P.O. as being a trustworthy guy, B) I'm pretty mechanically confident C) I've very rarely seen the 2.6L/Manual combo and D)It was cheap, about 1/3 what I had set aside for car purchase.

I know very little about these cars so I'm really looking forward to staying up way too late reading threads. Any words of wisdom or things to look out for would be much appreciated!

Pics to come...

Best,
Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 99' CLK320, 2011 e350 Bluetec
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Roland,

Welcome!

I am also relatively new here, 3 yrs, and this site has been very helpful to me. Mine sat under a maple tree for 6 years, so I have had to do about everything so far.

Here are some words, but not sure about the "wisdom."
Don't know if you have any service records, but if you don't, you will want to do a few things.

Change the oil to a 5W-40 that meets Mercedes spec 229.5. This site lists all the "MB Approved" options. MB 229.5 - Multigrade engine oils (Specification 229.5) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

I personally use Amsoil 5W-40 Euro "classic", which is on the list above. It is a true "Full SAPS" oil, which this car wants. See info here: AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 C-ESP Synthetic Motor Oil

Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf High-Tech 5W-40 is another that I will try soon when my oil stash runs out.
Beware using oils that have the newer MB 229.51 approval. I tried Mobil 1 Euro 0W-40, and the car has used a little oil this time, and never did on the Amsoil, so I will be going back. May be a coincidence, but it never used a drop for 2 years with the Amsoil.
M1 Euro is OK for cars that can use the 229.51 Low SAPS formula, like my 99 CLK320.

Good Oil filter options are Mann W719/13, Mahle OC110, Hengst H14W40, WIX 51088. Amsoil makes a long-life filter that is more expensive, EaO34, if you want to try longer oil change intervals.

Change the fuel filter under the center of the car.

Take a look at the coolant. Your engine has a history of head gasket failure. Look for oil in the coolant, or if the engine oil looks like chocolate milk when you drain it. Flush system and refill with distilled water and either MB coolant or Zerex GL-5. Be sure that you have the heater on to open the valve to the heater coil for the flush and fill.

Run a good fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank. Amsoil PI is one good one. I ended up replacing my injectors after a year and it made a big difference.
And be sure to use 93 octane fuel.

Check the air filter. According to many, the air filter is more important for keeping the OIL clean than the oil filter is!

I just change the shocks on mine in the last year. Made a big difference in cornering and brake dive. An easy DIY project, I thought. Some of the bolts are a bear to break loose.
I bought KYB brand, because they were cheapest for a car that age, but it is a firm ride. Bilstein and Sachs/Boge are more "standard" OEM replacement, and not much higher $$.

Pull the spark plugs and see how they look.
Take the distributor off and see how much wear there is on it and the rotor.
For me, everything looked original at 120k miles, so I changed cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires. Another easy DIY.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Use the search feature. Most questions have already been asked.
They are great little cars!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2016
Vehicle: 1991 190e 2.6L
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Excellent. Thank you for this information and the warm welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Another source that has helped me a lot is the Mercedessource website. And do a search of YouTube. He has an entire series of videos for free on the W201.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
This is a video of some common things to do on a newly purchased 190e.
Mr0a likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
You're Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandTiangco View Post
Excellent. Thank you for this information and the warm welcome.
You're welcome.
Most of the people here are friendly and helpful. Devoted to these great old cars. Don't be afraid to ask.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinibbfan View Post
You're welcome.
Most of the people here are friendly and helpful. Devoted to these great old cars. Don't be afraid to ask.
Also search the forum for plenty of information in case you need help. Most likely your issue has been addresses before. The W124 has tons of information as they share the same M103 engine but with 3.0L and many things on the body are the same but on a bigger scale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in