Replacing antenna cable - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile Replacing antenna cable

It's a pain in the ass unless you have small hands. I replaced my antenna cable for my 1989 190e 2.6 today. The cable itself cost around $30.00. I screwed the old one up when I removed the old Becker radio and replaced it with a Blaupunkt about six months ago. I was stupid enough to cut the wire instead of just pulling the plug and I couldn't haywire it because there wasn't enough room to work. I left the old cable in its route and re-routed the cable. I know this is a rare replacement, but I thought other Benz owners might be interested.
It's necessary to remove the rear seat and loosen the backrest on the driver's side and to remove the driver's side trunk spring in order to work through the small holes around the antenna. Using a string tied around the end of the new cable to guide it to the connector and a scribe to push in the connector, I was finally able to screw it in. The rest was easy.
I returned Monday from a road trip from Minneapolis to Albuquerque with the benz and I was tired of just listening to CD's. I like to listen to different radio stations on a road trip. Anyway, I put on close to 2,800 miles on the trip and she performed without a flaw. I had the thermo-viscous clutch and the bearing replaced before the trip and so it stood the test. This is a long narrative, but I know that benz owners really don't mind if it makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha, good stuff. Runing cables the length of the car is always fun.

Should have taken pix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W201 190-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in