post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W169 Command Not Working

Hi,
I have searched everywhere for help with this but can’t find specific guidance for my car. I drive a 2006 plate Mercedes A Class W169 A180 CDI. It’s a great car for doing the daily commute (has all the toys I need like sat nav and Bluetooth etc).
So Monday morning I was up early to get to work for a couple of early meetings. Sat in the car and tried to start it and it was completely dead. Realised fairly quickly that the battery was flat as the electronics were barely reacting and the car just made a ticking noise when turning the key.

No problem I thought, as my jump leads will get it started. I haven’t used them for some time but they are good quality and pretty much new condition. Connected to my wife’s car and got the car started no problem, took a little while for the battery to gain enough charge to start it (5-10 seconds).

However after jumping in the car I soon realised that all was not well. I had no sat nav, no Bluetooth phone connection and no CD changer. The Command sat nav display shows the Mercedes star logo for 30 seconds or so and then goes off. Also the engine warning light was on for the first drive. After parking at work and starting the car later on the engine warning light has gone – may be relevant or of interest but seems fine now?

So I am left with no nav / stereo etc – amazing how boring the commute is now!

From researching the forums it appears that jump starting the car has probably caused an electrical spike / surge that will have taken out part of my MOST network?? I have found lots of advice regarding C class and E class cars but nothing much on A class W169. My main questions revolve around what components I can narrow it down to. The car has a command system as I mentioned. Then a 6 disc CD changer in the glove box and a HFP Bluetooth module in the armrest. I don’t think the Bluetooth is an issue as when I remove it from the armrest it makes no difference (it’s just a clip in unit). I am hoping it may be the cd changer as I never use it, and I will just buy the fibre loop and remove the changer from the system if this is the case. The cd changer makes a noise when you start the car but no lights are on and it sounds like it’s strugglng. However does anyone know if there is a separate audio gateway module in the W169 as I can’t find it anywhere. Most of the forum posts regarding this seem to point to the audio gateway being the likely cause.

So that’s one question. Other question is how do I remove the CD changer from the glove box? There is a small screw down the left hand side which I assume needs to be removed. However it doesn’t come out after that. There is some movement but I don’t want to force it too hard in case I damage anything. Does anyone have any advice.

So I summary something in the car is not right.
I need advice around:
1. Is there an Audio gateway in the A class W169 with command (AGW). If so where is it?
2. What is likely to be broken on my MOST network
3. How to remove the CD changer

Really appreciate any help that you can give me. Failing finding it myself it will mean a trip to a local auto electrician which I am hoping to avoid!

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi. Can anyone help??
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: A200 Sports Coupé C169 2006
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Steve,

If you send me your VIN, I can check the AGW presence, can't offer any advice on MOST network I'm afraid - mine is pretty basic: Audio 20 NTG2 / CDC / UHI.

Here's a link to the pdf file on CDC removal:

https://we.tl/6axyPst77H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. Do you also have a similar file that shows how to remove the actual command unit.

I have managed to find out that it doesn't have a separate AGW. The W169 command I have is the NGT2 which has integrated Nav and AGW also integrated.

Hoping this is fixable as Mercedes have given a silly price - albeit a rough one from a contact I have.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Garage
Sure, removing the COMAND / Audio 20 in W169 is very simple - I have a couple of files (not WIS page), from various sources, and my own compilation, and have done it a few times (and will be doing it again, next week, as I'm getting rid of my Audio 20 and fitting a 9" HU):

https://we.tl/giKTbkwCxi

Mercedes recipe for everything is to replace the entire [insert major car assembly name here].
I suppose, it's fine if one can afford it, and justify such an extravaganza ...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
So I've been through several options and still no luck.

I bought a refurbished command unit (NTG2) from eBay. Spent a couple of hours removing the old one and replacing with a new one and it still didn't work. So it still starts with the Mercedes logo and then goes off after 10-20 seconds.
So put the original unit back in and then removed the cd changed and put in a fibre loop to make sure the network was still complete. The command unit still didn't work after this.

Therefore still no stereo or nav or Bluetooth as the system just won't start. Also getting a battery drain every other day and having to use a booster pack to get the car going as and when needed.

I have done further research and was wondering if the fault could be related to a faulty SAM unit? Does the SAM also control part of the command unit?
It all happened after a weekend of severe rain and people say the SAM unit can fail after damp getting in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Garage
Sorry to hear that ...

The battery drain could indeed point to a faulty SAM, but before you spend any more money, first check the water drains are unblocked, and then get someone with STAR (ideally) or at least iCarsoft MBII or 980, to run full diagnostics for you.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply. Very much appreciated.

I will find someone who can do star diagnostic. I did get Mercedes to plug it in to their system a couple of weeks ago and they said they couldn't communicate with the command system. So thought it needed a new one. Although I know Mercedes dealers probably aren't interested in old cars like this.

Are the drains just the ones under the bonnet near the windscreen wipers? If they were blocked then potentially damp could have got it somewhere?
Will the star diagnostic say if their is a problem with the SAM?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:41 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Garage
I'm surprised Mercedes didn't give you a detailed printout of the STAR session.
I don't think the age of the car makes that much difference - my A200 is also 2006-reg and the local dealership is always happy to oblige (it is on the Service Care Plan, in all fairness).

Steve, are you in the UK by chance? I might be able to direct you to a trustworthy place, to look into this problem.

Yes, the drains are by the wipers, but also check the one under the combination filter - let me know if you need a guide on how to remove it, but I think it's described in full on lofty's page. Found it: Bert Rowe, Lofty's homepage. A-class info W169, Activated carbon filter, Location Replace,

Re: CD changer - as I've just installed an aftermarket head unit, I have removed my CDC, MH3511 MP3-capable, in perfect condition and working order - so again, if you're in the UK, we can arrange something. I also have an Audio-20, that can be used to test your system, as I know it works perfectly. I'm in Northampton.

Yes, the STAR diagnostic will pinpoint any major sector on SAM, if it returns an error (as far as I know).

One question - does your CDC's buttons lit up when you open the glove box, right after unlocking the car (with no ignition on yet)? If not, then it might be the actuation trigger is malfunctioning - same error would shut down the head unit, pretty much as you described.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Mercedes were doing me a favour so did it for free (they messed up another job on my wife's Mercedes so they agreed to plug this in and do an hours labour for free). That maybe why they were fairly dis-interested.

I am in the UK, near to Reading. I have actually contacted an independent car electrician this morning who has star diagnostic and have made a booking for early next week. I will in the meantime check the drain near the filter you mention. This filter was changed at it's last service in December I believe.

The CD changer does not light up anymore. It is working as makes a noise when I remove the fuse for it and reconnect. I can't remove any of the CDs in there. What exactly is the actuation trigger out of interest?
The fact I removed the CDC and tried a fibre loop makes me think the CDC is not to blame directly, but your idea sounds interesting.
Also may be interesting to note that my bluetooth connects to my phone intermittently, but can't use it to make calls.

One more thing I noticed randomly yesterday. I dropped a screw when sorting the stereo and it ended up in a really awkward position under the passenger seat, under one of the rails. It was in a small hole at the rear right of the seat footwell. When I reached in to get the screw with one finger I felt some damp and an electric current. Am I right in thinking that this could be related?

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W169 A-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in