A170 snapped serpentine belt - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Ante Matković

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A170 snapped serpentine belt

Hello everyone,

Today my serpentine belt snapped while reversing. At first i did not know what it was, i only heard a small noise and the battery light came on. So i drove maybe 200meters and stopped, tried to restart the car and it started normally. I also opened the hood to inspect the engine, but it was early in the morning and i only had the dim flashlight of my phone with me so i did not notice any damage at first glance and continued on my way to work. I was driving on a country road and in the city for maybe 20mins and the temperature warning came on so i stopped as soon as i could and waited till it turned off. After a few minutes whille driving up a hill the engine lost all its power and i turned around, and went back with 2 stops inbetween. My power steering already had some issues while standing still and at lower speeds the steering wheel was hard to turn so i thought it might only be the PS pump, but i later discovored the whole belt was gone.

So my question is do you think i might have blown my head gasket? This is the first time i heard my fans come on while stopping, but the car did not make any kind of unusual noise. I know with the serpentine belt gone there can be hot spots on the engine, but overall the engine did not seem any hotter than on a normal summer day.

I already had my car picked up and will recieve a call from the dealer who sold it to me on monday, as i own the car for only a couple of days and this should not have happened as he assured me several times they have inspected the car for any damage or faults. A worn out belt can be spotted easily and i suspect this was my case as my AC wasnt cooling verry well, bad PS feedback and the car took maybe a second or two longer to start as is custom.

Thanks for any input from you all, and i know it was not smart to drive any further, but hey we make mistakes 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 06:38 AM
Ante Matković

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I forgot to mention, this is a 170 CDI from 2003
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: A Class W168 2000 A170 CDI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ante Matković View Post
Hello everyone,

Today my serpentine belt snapped while reversing. ... the battery light came on. ... temperature warning came on 🙂
RULE no 1
Any RED warning light is a big concern.
Just like in traffic lights the severity of the warning is color coded.

Green, blue are indicators. ex. headlights, high beam...
Yellow, orange. Be aware, take measures to correct. Ex. turn signals
RED. Stop Immediately and correct the issue.

With this said, a broken belt by itself usually is not a big issue. An overheated engine on the other hand can mean "ditching" the entire vehicle.

Just yesterday had to replace the broken belt on my A170 CDI with AC. Well I had to do it for the past 3 years, but...

16€ and about 1 hour. The change itself took some 20 minutes.

Last edited by crpt2008; Today at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W168 A-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in