post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation a160 Error code..pls help..

Hello everybody,
I have a160 semi-auto,petrol.My car was running fine but one day while driving my car went to safe mode (f display on dashboard) then i stopped the car,turned the engine off and start again.The car came to normal.This happens very often like once a mth or sth like that.sometime when i apply the brake to slow down the f display comes up and again if i turn off the engine n restart it goes back to normal.But then i check with my mechanic and he said the car has these given below error:

P1856- selector lever implusible
p1875- can communication ESP
P1872- can signal from gear recognition module faulty

Can you please help me what does these error means?what do i need to fix?
Thank you in advance and sorry for the bad english.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is a sensor and a control box that detects which gear you have selected - it reports the position of the shifter to the ecu, which in turn then knows when to engage and disengage the clutch. "F" simply means "Fault" - and the codes tell you which module is faulty. No CAN communication is simply the module that detects what position the gearshift is in, is not communicating with the ecu and is likely a faulty or corroded controller - its on the top of the gearbox casing area near the inner wing. If i get a chance tomorrow and remember I'll take a picture of mine if I can and post it up.

The "sensor" itself is connected to the shift linkage on the top of the gearbox.

Almost forgot, check the little back plastic link has not broken or come off at the shift levers on top of the gearbox, visible from the front with the bonnet (hood) open, look down on right hand side above the gearbox casing the lever looks like a little black plastic dumbell...they break or fall off and cause an error on the display and no 1/3/5 gear or worse.

(Though the CAN error and no comms from the controller would not be caused by this, you would only get the first code, "shift position implausible")

Last edited by evilscotsman; 04-28-2011 at 01:56 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
thankx a lot evilscotsman. i will try your suggestion.If possible can you please post the pic since i dont know much about, your posted pic will be great help for me.
Once again thankx for the help.will let you know about the progress .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

i took pics but havent got them uploaded yet, basically there are 2 white and black boxes about 1.5" across, mounted under the shift cable ends, stand in front of the car, look down on the right hand side and you will see the shifter cables coming to the top of the gearbox. between them is the reversing light switch, and under the plastic arms on the end of the cables away from the switch, are the 2 boxes, these are the gear position sensors, and I think they are monitored by the abs/esp controller on the abs pump, or the mafs ecu itself, as their wiring goes to the abs unit then joins the main harness back to the ecu.

TRY THIS:

Disconnect the battery.

check the abs plug on the back is not corroded at the pins or dislodged in any way, or any wires chafing on the body, now - with the battery disconnected you could clean the male pins in the plug face with a brass brush for suede shoes...very effective but safe. Blow out dirt removed and re-insert the plug and lock in place (could use petroleum jelly on electrical contacts but oils or grease here can cause bad connections unless contacts are scraper type females)

Important - Reconnect battery AFTER switching the sidelight switch to ON

then reset steering/abs/bas system by turning steering wheel lock to lock twicw with the engine running.

then switch off, put ignition on again but dont start this time, handbrake on, press brake, put into 1st gear, then back to N, release brake, press brake, into reverse gear, back to N, release brake and release handbrake, switch off ignition and apply handbrake, your gear detection should now be reset and clutch biting point re-calibrated on the ACS unit.

Worth trying a full reset anyway, see if it cures the problem.

REMEMBER Turn the sidelights on BEFORE reconnecting the battery so the ecu is protected from surge! (Otherwise its a trip to MB for an expensive reset of the engine management lights...)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
thnkx guys.i changed the back light switch and did everything as evilscotsman said but yesterday while i was driving when the gear was supposed to change from 2 to 3 the 'F' display came up and then i switched off the car and re-start. The car came to normal.I really cant understand whats going on.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

could be worn carbon brushes in the ACS motor or a fault on the gear linkage cables and the detection switches under them.

A genuine fault will always return, I would get the brushes replaced in the motor of the ACS pump, inside wing on rhs looking from the front. Lofty has a link to a supplier, £25 gbp or similar.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
first of all sorry for the late reply..Thankx evil i did as u have mentioned and so far so good.i think we fixed the prob.
if anything comes up i will let you know,,thank you,Evilscotsman,thank you Lofty..u guys are gr8...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 AM
BenzWorld Member

hey no problem buddy, thanks for the feedback and I hope you have no more problems
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2012
Multiple Error codes on A160

I need help please,
My A160 W168 has the following error codes:
P1872- in can comm with selector module or selector lever implausible
c1024 - can comm with EGS
b1039 - can comm error to trans control unit
p0600 - ftc/sCScan bus current

I have cleared them, then randomly come back with the same set of codes. Transmission is in limp mode when those errors occured. The 'D' indicator on the dashboard becomes blank.

My question is: Does anyone know the sequence of the code(ie which code was generated first) then triggers other codes?
What is the root cause of this issue?

Your input is much appreciated.
Thanks.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 PM

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: A180 CVT, A170, A190, B200
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'm not sure what kind of scanner you're using but I'm sure it's not STAR, because code P1872 is the one you need to look at, that's the gear selector.
other can comm faults are generated at the same time when there's a fault with a module and this module stops communicating with other modules, that's normal, not a fault.
gear selector is repairable.

The day your mechanic tells you to get rid of your a class is the day you should get rid of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W168 A-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in