A170cdi automatic gear box problem - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Date registered: Dec 1998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A170cdi automatic gear box problem

My A170cdi lost engine power on a busy highway, in England, when I managed to pull over the gear indicator was showing 'F', guessing that it was computer failure I restarted the car and all was well. <br> <br> Mercedes have run diagnostic tests and say that the computer was showing a cured fault and therefore nothing was wrong with the car! I was told that if it reoccured to bring the car back to the dealer. I might not survive next time.<br> <br> Has anyone experienced a similar fault? I now have no confidence in the car and am at a loss to know what to do about it.<br> <br> Regards<br> <br> Simon<br>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Date registered: Dec 1998
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: A170cdi automatic gear box problem, a solution

find a nice quiet field or back street and set fire to it.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: CLK 320 cabrio. A190
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: A170cdi automatic gear box problem

Quote:
My A170cdi lost engine power on a busy highway, in England, when I managed to pull over the gear indicator was showing 'F', guessing that it was computer failure I restarted the car and all was well. <br> <br> Mercedes have run diagnostic tests and say that the computer was showing a cured fault and therefore nothing was wrong with the car! I was told that if it reoccured to bring the car back to the dealer. I might not survive next time.<br> <br> Has anyone experienced a similar fault? I now have no confidence in the car and am at a loss to know what to do about it.<br> <br> Regards<br> <br> Simon<br>
well my um's A190 would soemtimes stay in 1st gear and wouldn't change to 2nd...
i think they fixed it, but its not the only problem she had with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2002

Quote:
I have only just picked up this post. I had exactly the same problem. It turned out to be the electronic floor shift. They tried adjusting the cable first but this did not solve the problem so they had to replace the floor shift. Including labour this was GB Pounds 460. The car had only done about 23,000 miles and was less than 3 years old. The car is out of warranty and Mercedes won't play ball. As this comes on top of faulty - drop links, steering column and air con I reckon this is the least reliable car I have ever had from new and certainly would not buy another one.
By the way the diagnostics mean that they can tell exactly when the fault occurred and what it was. Sure it resets itself when you turn off the ignition but it is still a fault in the first place. If it is the same problem I had it is very intermittent. I also think that when in "F" you get some drive in top gear only.

Regards

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:57 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2005

I have exactly the same problem in my A170 CDI but Mercedes told me I need a new Gearbox at an approximate figure of £3,000, do you reckon they are lying?

Its not an A170 only thing, my sisters A160 had the same problem and in the end she was too scared to drive it on motorways especially with a baby in the back and so she sold it. Again Mercedes recomended a new Gearbox, both cars are low mileage with full MBSH.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 03:43 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: A_Class W169 160_CDI
RE: A170cdi automatic gear box problem

Take a look at

http://www.baby-benz.com/portal/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1603

HTH [:(!]
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2008
Looks like I've got the sam problem with my 2001 A190. Initially a D0900 error, diagnosed by my local (non-Merc) garage as Clutch Actuating Unit. It can be fixed but it's likely the rest of the 'box' will go soon afterwards. They recommend a new 'box' c. £2k plus the dreaded vat !! Wranteed for 12 months / 12,000 miles.

We should be beating up MB as it seems to be a common problem :-))
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: A160 W168 /2002
Your mention of the selector Module (Floor shif) Ties up with the diagnostics one of my readers had MB cleared the fault and told if it diod it again the selector module would need to be changed .
It did within days
He has know had the unit changed and as far as I know he's now OK, there are photos on my site page 59 link auto & acs transmissions
http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.59.htm
As for MB gear boxes, I have had a number of readers who have been told that their cars manual require new gear boxes because they are unable at the time of breakdown to engage 2nd 5th and reverse gears .
IN FACT all the car needs is the black plastic dumbell replaced on the selector linkage at the great cost of £1.75 and you are back on the road with all gears. I carry a spare in my car wallet .
The other old favorite of MB amongst many other cock ups is to cock up the replacement of the reversing switch and then say the box is defective. Utter rubbish it's they who neglect to follow their own workshop procedures and ensure that reverse gear is engaged throughout the whole of the switch change process, fail to do that and yes you are in trouble. So I suggest where owners have reversing switch problems confirm with the branch that they know what they are doing before you leave your car, because they won't own up to having cocked it up and you could be left with a large bill .
Ensure you check the reversing light operation before you leave the garage! or you will get blamed for the defect. same applies to non MB outlets if you have this switch replaced.

Last edited by lofty; 12-13-2008 at 06:08 AM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Hi, lot have been spoke on automatic, but for me something not clear yet.

My car, at R is having some clutch problems. It seems like in a manual, you try to release clutch pedal too fast. I see no F indicator.

So as far as I read, clutch in automatics are similar to motorcycles, wet disks, but in this case, I think for each gear, is that true?
I also understood, that the copper pistons inside the automatic gearbox are the clutch actuators. and they are hydraulic, so low oil level causes clutch problems....
Is this the way it works?

About this Gear Actuator, the only thing I see from picture, and I might be wrong, is that it has a electronic sensor but maybe just for the parking position.... because the cable is going to be driven direct to aut. gerabox. but if this switch fail, your car will see a P durign D and maybe this causes the problem....

Cheers
Nuno
A170cdi automatic W168
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: A160 W168 /2002
Nuno,
half the problem is we never get the full story on forums, hundreds of car showing 'F' But no real conclusion as to the problem or what they have had done to cure it.

In one case I'm aware MB changed the selecor module only which, yes as you say includes an electronic switch (Dry electrical Contact? Could well be ) I reckon a drop of electrolube wouldn't go amiss before spending loads on even the selector assembly.
which is close on £300 alone
And in the last case on this site (See 'F' Problem cured ) it looks as though MB changed every thing bar the engine, so what were the fault codes that required that cost, what was actually fitted part numbers, we never get answers and therefore cannot pass it on to stop MB ripping off fellow owners.

And MB if your reading this while waiting for new orders for cars, go to my site and read some of the letters from your customers who have been ripped off.

If any owner of an automatic transmission car has information as to the fault codes and cure i when the dreaded 'F' appears I will gradly add it to the seperate page I have put on my site for such information.
That way you will have a point to which you can go for information when you have a problem, which affects you more than me as my car's a manual

Last edited by lofty; 01-08-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W168 A-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in