post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Vehicle: 2013 ML350 Bluetec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ML350 Diesel Bluetec Misfire

Hi, I have an issue in my 2013 MB ML350Bluetec (Canada) getting no CEL, but I have sputter/misfire at 1500rpm and it happens sproadically but on every trip. I have had the truck hooked up to a diagnostic and nothing shows as being wrong. Visually all pipes have no rips or holes. I reported a sputter under warranty at startup and dealer did a CDI transmission update. I then had sputter a year later and it was the MAF sensor, but each time I got a CEL, but this time not. MAF looks clean. I have never run an additive so I just added Stanadyne. Does one tank do enough or should I do many tanks in a row. Or is Lucas Oil additive better as it indicates injector clean as well. It does the misfire even while in park so I've ruled out the transmission. If it is injectors, do I have to replace them all or just the problem ones? If injectors are plugged, would the Lucas Oil be enough to clean them out? My mechanic said fuel pressure was good so wouldn't be fuel filter and thought it might be the throttle sensor. Online reading shows it is possibly a dirty EGR valve or leaking O ring on the intake? Also, I want to attempt to do some of the easier stuff myself and don't just want to start replacing part after part. Any process of elimination I could use? I also haven't been able to find a manual (well one without the rar files). Is anyone else experiencing this symptom and have a suggestion? and/or where to get a service manual? Thanks in advance. Appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: Lookout for W166 ML63
If it is the injectors, these would throw DTC errors and would pin point you which injector is at fault. Without codes it's going to be looking for a needle in a haystack.

On the off chance the injectors might be at fault, have a leak down test done to see if they are working as they should.

Did this issue start before or after the additive was added?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hi, Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I added the additive after the problems started with no engine fault codes appearing. I've read now that Canadian diesel takes a toll on the engine. I must say after adding additive car seems to run a lot smoother above the rpm level I am having an issue at. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: Lookout for W166 ML63
I see where this is going....................

Your rule of thumb is that................"if i add more additive cleaner, this should solve my problem!"

Be careful of how much you put in. Have a bottle for each tank and run it through the system hard if possible.

Let us know how you get on and if you have found any other issue regarding your problem.

Hope it gets sorted soon........................
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. I didn't think the additive was a cure all but I thought 1 dose in a tank could help. I changed the engine air filters, performed oil/filter change, had the fuel filter replaced as it was near its 45K life (as prescribed by MB). an air test detected leak in turbo pipe and washer/orings were changed. Yet I still have the same problem of sputter/misfires at 1500 rpm but not everytime...but enough times on a trip. i haven't had the injectors tested yet...that'll have to be the next step. Or One mechanic I know who works on some of my family's older cars thinks throttle sensor issue after hooking his diagnostics on it . On a side: The auto transmission doesn't seem to get much over 3K rpm before shifting. Revving in park also 3Krpm max. Not sure if it's supposed to do that or that's part of the issue. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W166 M-Class / GLE-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in