BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4Matic and 2009 ML320 BlueTec 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question DRIVETRAIN VIBRATION

Just acquired my 2009 ML320 BLUETEC 4 MATIC. it has @92,000 miles on it. When I'm in drive and reach 1000RPM I hear an audible vibration. It as soon as I get past 1000rpm (above/below) it goes away and I don't hear it again throughout the RPM range. I only hear it... I don't feel it. It does not happen in Park or Neutral. I can only describe it as sounding like an aluminum shroud vibrating.

Wondering if anyone out there might have experirenced something like this or might have an idea as to what it might be.

Standing by...

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msteiner38 View Post
Just acquired my 2009 ML320 BLUETEC 4 MATIC. it has @92,000 miles on it. When I'm in drive and reach 1000RPM I hear an audible vibration. It as soon as I get past 1000rpm (above/below) it goes away and I don't hear it again throughout the RPM range. I only hear it... I don't feel it. It does not happen in Park or Neutral. I can only describe it as sounding like an aluminum shroud vibrating.

Wondering if anyone out there might have experirenced something like this or might have an idea as to what it might be.

Standing by...

Mike
Not too familiar with the164 but on the 163 what you describe is the symptoms of a bad center support bearing. it sounds like a brake dust shield bent and rubbing something, if you put 4 people in the car all will swear it is coming from the wheel well closest to them when it is actually right below the center console.

Pretty easy to check visually get under with a flash light an fist try to get a look at the rubber surrounding the bearing then grab the drive shaft nearest the bearing and try to move it to see if there is play. If visually ok it may still be bad and play is not the most deciding factor the bearing can be on the start of its way out and be bad but still have no play. Folks have fastened cameras and microphones under their cars to record it as they drive, youtube has loads of them for various cars. Because sometimes the only way to tell is when you are driving.

Would not buy the Dorman but this is what you are looking for
https://www.1aauto.com/mercedes-benz...SABEgKRMPD_BwE

Just to add don't know if you have any service records but if it has not been replaced it is close to time for it to be. They last about 80000 miles depending on road conditions (dirt road, salt, coastal area etc).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4Matic and 2009 ML320 BlueTec 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you very much for your insight wallyo! I will take a good look at it this weekend when I can get it on a lift. Might just order the part and change it if its easy enough for a DIY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for your insight wallyo! I will take a good look at it this weekend when I can get it on a lift. Might just order the part and change it if its easy enough for a DIY.
It is not hard to do if you have access to a lift that makes it easier. You may want to hit all the bolts with PB blaster or what ever you prefer days in advance. I had no trouble but folks have said the bearing bracket bolts can be a bear. Once you have them out clean the bolts and nuts with a wire brush before reinstall.

What is strange is on any Mercedes parts site I can not find the rear drive shaft or the center bearing. I can find everything else axles, trans, transfer and etc but no front or rear drive shaft. I assume you have one. After market sites show the same bearing that is for my Mls as fitting yours. I found a used drive shaft on eBay for an 09 it showed a different bearing. So confirm the part number I gave before ordering check pelican parts.

If yours is the same as an earlier take a look here post 48 I have a picture of a wrench that makes the job easier plus there is a lot of other info to help.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w16...r-support.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Just another foot note while you have it out decide if the U joints need replacing. Mine were fine so I did not mess with them. On the 163 Mercedes sells only the full drive shaft, but Spicer and others have stepped up with after market replacement parts. Same with the Carden joint. Some of the parts are the same as Jeep because of the short lived Daimler-Chrysler relationship. I would think there are aftermarket service parts for an 09.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Were you able to figure anything out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in