BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4Matic and 2009 ML320 BlueTec 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question TOPSIDE OIL CHANGE QUESTION

Looking into purchasing a Mityvac MV7400 for my oil changes. Can someone help me out with the diameter of the dipstick tube so I know whether the size of the tubes that come with the pump will fit or if I need to buy another one. I have a 2009 ML320 BLUETEC 4MATIC

This is what comes with the MV7400:
0.23 in. OD x 5 ft. long (5.7 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube
0.26 in. OD x 5 ft. long (6.6 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube

Thanks a ton in advance,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2017
Vehicle: 2008 ml350, 2009 s550
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I use the mityvac for a 2008 ml350 and a 2009 s550.
The hoses that come with it does down the dipstick fine with plenty of play. But u will want to go the lowes and get longer hoses so u can put the mityvac on the floor. I even upsized the hose so it would recover the oil faster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I do not get why folks want to do a topside oil change it is not that hard doing it the old fashion way, and personally I feel you can not get as much sludge out top side.
On my MLs yes you must remove the guard pan if still there not a big deal plus you have the added benefit of doing a good visual inspection of hoses and bushing. If I had done a top side oil change on our 350 I would of never found the broken shock bolt 3 weeks ago. We did not notice any ride issue, went to pull the oil plug and "Oh the passenger shock is not attached, what do you know"?

Ok aside from 6 fastners holding on the pan, you have the mess of the oil spilling all over the suspension. Get a foot long piece of 4" Aluminum drier vent pipe ( this is your new Mercedes Benz special tool. Loosen the plug, with the vent pipe split open fit the split c shaped between the top and bottom of the plug. it is aluminum you can bend it to fit any way you want . But slope it towards the front of the car. stick your hand up it undo the plug the last turn or so and you have a spillway directing the oil into you 2 gal plus oil pan.

While it drains take you flashlight and have a good look around look for leaks, at hoses, bushings, motor mounts if you can. Prevention is worth a lot, sorry I do not get doing it the quick way, otherwise I'd take it to JiffyLube. Most people that do their own oil change do it not to save money but because then care about their car/s.

Change the oil on a Bugatti Veyron then you have something to complain about it takes about 2 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG, 2006 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
I do not get why folks want to do a topside oil change it is not that hard doing it the old fashion way, and personally I feel you can not get as much sludge out top side.
On my MLs yes you must remove the guard pan if still there not a big deal plus you have the added benefit of doing a good visual inspection of hoses and bushing. If I had done a top side oil change on our 350 I would of never found the broken shock bolt 3 weeks ago. We did not notice any ride issue, went to pull the oil plug and "Oh the passenger shock is not attached, what do you know"?

Ok aside from 6 fastners holding on the pan, you have the mess of the oil spilling all over the suspension. Get a foot long piece of 4" Aluminum drier vent pipe ( this is your new Mercedes Benz special tool. Loosen the plug, with the vent pipe split open fit the split c shaped between the top and bottom of the plug. it is aluminum you can bend it to fit any way you want . But slope it towards the front of the car. stick your hand up it undo the plug the last turn or so and you have a spillway directing the oil into you 2 gal plus oil pan.

While it drains take you flashlight and have a good look around look for leaks, at hoses, bushings, motor mounts if you can. Prevention is worth a lot, sorry I do not get doing it the quick way, otherwise I'd take it to JiffyLube. Most people that do their own oil change do it not to save money but because then care about their car/s.

Change the oil on a Bugatti Veyron then you have something to complain about it takes about 2 days.
I'll be sticking with my topside changes. They take way less time and effort, are way cleaner, and I can still do my inspection just as easy.

As for what hoses you need for your new vac, you want to use the dipstick tube as your tube. You use the hose from the vac and attach a rubber grommet type thing and push it into the top of your dipstick tube. It uses the dipstick tube as your suction and it comes out way faster than sticking a tube down there.

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettriehl101 View Post
I'll be sticking with my topside changes. They take way less time and effort, are way cleaner, and I can still do my inspection just as easy.
Not convinced If I have everything set out I can change the oil in 20minutes add 5 for reinstalling the shield. You can't see the bottom of the engine bay from the top! If there is a shield, to inspect the bottom it has to be removed anyway. And again if I did a top my shock would still be flapen in the wind.

If real lazy there is an after market 90 degree ball valve oil plug drain valve. Some say there is a chance it could shear off on a ml I don't see how it is so far up and protected.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteiner38 View Post
Looking into purchasing a Mityvac MV7400 for my oil changes. Can someone help me out with the diameter of the dipstick tube so I know whether the size of the tubes that come with the pump will fit or if I need to buy another one. I have a 2009 ML320 BLUETEC 4MATIC

This is what comes with the MV7400:
0.23 in. OD x 5 ft. long (5.7 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube
0.26 in. OD x 5 ft. long (6.6 mm OD x 1.5 m long) dipstick tube

Thanks a ton in advance,
Mike
What ever you do read the reviews on Amazon for the mv7400 there seems to be issues folks say on second change it did not work, one poster claims it has to do with synthetic oil.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Marc!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Brettriehl101 --- thanks for your input... appreciate it!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hmmmm... interesting... thanks Wallyo!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG, 2006 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettriehl101 View Post
Not convinced If I have everything set out I can change the oil in 20minutes add 5 for reinstalling the shield. You can't see the bottom of the engine bay from the top! If there is a shield, to inspect the bottom it has to be removed anyway. And again if I did a top my shock would still be flapen in the wind.

If real lazy there is an after market 90 degree ball valve oil plug drain valve. Some say there is a chance it could shear off on a ml I don't see how it is so far up and protected.
If you are not able to tell that your strut is not connected without physically looking at it, then I would suggest probably just paying someone to do the maintenance on your vehicles....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in