post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 2007 W164 (320CDI 4Tech)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New AVIN head unit

So, I've been wanting to get a new head unit for my car. I want something that looks OEM, but has things that 2019 has to offer (Apple car play, Waze, Pandora, Spotify, GPS, etc...). I've read the posts about the Avin head units, and I honestly don't like the current one for the ML series

https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-ml...on-system.html

So, I have been in touch with the rep "Tommy" who answers me within a week or two of my email (for some reason). He said that Avin is coming out with a new head-unit, that will look stock (OEM with the buttons and dials) but will be with Android 9.0 and have all the goodies.

So, those of you with Avin head units, how are they holding up? Any issues?

How about any other android head units (like the ebay or amazon ones). How are they?

I normally go with crutchfield to buy my head units, but I truly hate the way these things look with a double diin unit in them. I really want the OEM look. Like the one Jaymaynard did a review on back in 2015.

Anyways, if it ends up being all good, I'll do a review as well. I'll probably buy the rear view camera to go with it, as well. I'm sure it'll make hitching the boat a lot easier...

Thanks for any info, ladies and gents..

Good day to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2012 GL 450 4Matic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
I had no issues when I had an AVIN in my ML. Tommy always responded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG, 2006 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The ebay and aliexpress ones are good. Also way cheaper than these avin ones. Not sure why everyone still goes with the avin units. All the posts I read are about how terrible the customer service is and people ask the same questions as they do with the ebay or aliexpress android units.

Also I was pretty set on getting one with all the buttons and such on it, but after seeing some that are just the screen with a few buttons up the left side, I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a button-less one. Honestly how often do you think you will use that number pad on the right side to dial someone when you could use the touch screen to dial or just speak to it and tell it to dial... imo the buttons make it look quite dated nowadays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ha, I would probably never use the number pad, but I don't like the look of that void left and right. I don't know why, it just bugs me.

But, thanks for the response fellas. I do appreciate it...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I know what you mean about the empty areas around the display, and if you really wanted to, you could get one of the larger versions that Xtrons sells, that's all screen, no buttons, but it's 8", so it covers quite a bit of the area.

I have one of those units (Xtrons), and to me the Android software (mine had 8.0 Oreo) is pretty blah. The other issue I had was the Navigation. While it does have a GPS unit, it relies on 3rd party software which you need to download. Some of the nav apps (iGo, NavTeq) have an option to download the maps locally for off-line use, but they either require payment, or you can only downloads bits and pieces, not the whole US. Some people like Waze, but I personally can't stand it. Plus what happens when there's no network connectivity?

The rest of the stuff is more or less what you would expect out of an Android tablet. The better units have Octa-Core CPUs so they're more responsive, but a lot of the sub $300 ones are still on Quad-Core or even Dual-Core processors, and they're really terrible.

So for me, having something that had proper navigation, a DVD player, support for CarPlay and Android Auto, Ipod, HD Radio and decent sound was the tipping point in favor of a Kenwood unit. I ended up buying 2 used ones on eBay, a 2016 DNX573S for my ML, which is already installed and works great, and a 2017/2018 DNX574S for my SL550, which is going in the car this weekend hopefully.

Yes, there's some empty space around it, but you get used to it. For my SL I actually went with the wood look to match the rest of the console. I could have done it on the ML as well, but the wife preferred the black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ML-DNX573s.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2515370   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL-DNX574S.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2515372  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
DUDEman, that actually looks pretty decent. And honestly I'm more worried about overall functunality vs just appearance. So, you may be right. However, I'm going to see how this nee Avin unit looks and what specs it has, and then I'll go ahead and end up buying something.

I had a Sony 7" double Diin in my last 2 cars, and they were just fine. Again, that lack of buttons still kill me, but if the functions are better than the cheaper alternatives, I'd much rather go for function than for looks.

And as for Navi, I'd rather just have Apple Carplay vs anything else. As long as I have carplay, I'll be OK...

Thanks for your heads up, and the pictures you shared. They are very well done...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONPhantasmo View Post
And as for Navi, I'd rather just have Apple Carplay vs anything else. As long as I have carplay, I'll be OK...
I guess I'm old school. I still rather have the head unit do everything it supposed to do, rather than act as a large screen to my phone.

There's plenty of areas in the state here where cellular reception is crap to non-existent, so I'd rather have a proper GPS unit.

Anyway, I was looking at what Avin is currently offering, and for the ML, the only thing they have is a large 9" buttonless model. That is a giant screen, and takes up most of the area, so it should look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	px5-mlgl_2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	2515600  

Last edited by Dudeman; 05-25-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
You know what, I was looking at those, and I figured that having the buttons to make it look more, OEM, would be a complete waste of space. I mean, your screen would be 5-6 inches at best. While these screens are what, 9 inches or so?.? with all the same functunality of the buttons, but with a bigger screen. Plus, buttons = more things to go wrong.

So, I started looking at these from Avin Avin unit and also the Secaine Seicaine are pretty much the same thing (with one being on sale for significantly cheaper).

I really just want Apple Carplay. It'll do all I need with Carplay. That'll be good enough for me. So, I'm leaning towards the Seicaine for now. Either way, I'm ok with a bigger screen with no buttons. It'll look more up-to-date with the times anyways.

I'll think about it for another day or two. I'll probably end up buying one or the other in the next few days....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Something else to consider, since you want to use CarPlay.

On most of these units, and most car radios in general, CarPlay requires you to plug your phone into the USB port, it doesn't work wirelessly. That's a pain, if you're using your car for short trips, having to plug and unplug your phone all the time. I keep my phone is a pouch on my belt, and when I get in the car, I don't want to reach in and take it out every time so I can hook it up. Long trips is another thing, but daily short ones, no.

Some newer radio models from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood & JVC support wireless CarPlay, But I don't think any of the Chinese models do. You might want to ask that question from the vendor. I know the Xtrons and Seicane models don't have it, but Avin offers an optional $120 wireless dongle that works with CarPlay but not with Android Auto. I don't know if that dongle works with other units.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Dudeman, I can tell your age, just by the fact that you keep your phone in a pouch on your belt...

But, good info, though. Honestly, I live in the FL Keys. The quickest drive for me is 20 minutes, so I'll just plug it in the console, for now.

Thanks for the heads up, brother. Also, don't forget to drink that metamucel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in