Comand > Kenwood conversion - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Comand > Kenwood conversion

Over the last few weeks I started gathering all the parts needed to do a Complete hea unit swap on both my ML350 and my SL550. Both cars had the Mobridge iPod/Bluetooth integrations, but I felt that I needed something a bit more modern in these cars.

This weekend I finally had a chance to do the ML. Since I had already prepped the wiring and the installation kit hardware, the only thing I needed to do is remove the old radio, remove the Mobridge and associated wiring and install the new radio in. The entire job took just under 2 hours, and that's because I had to drop the glove compartment so I could get to my MoBridge, and wire the microphone behind it, and up the window pillar. Also installed the USB connector into the hole that was there for the AUX connector.

I used the Connects 2 installation kit, which is supposed to be made specifically for the ML, and to an extent, it's pretty plug & play, but it's not perfect. The fascia fits, except not as perfect as the original, the cage that came with it work fine, even tough it feels a bit flimsy, once the radio is in it, it's solid enough.

The kit also contains wiring harness and a CAN Bus adapter. One end of the wiring harness plugs into the original Fakra connector that was previously connected to the Comand, the other end it's supposed to plug into the radio, but it's a standard ISO connector, and the Kenwood uses a 22 pin connector. I could have just cut off the ISO connectors and connected the wires to the plug that came with the radio, but I bought a ISO to Kenwood wiring adapter.

So the only wiring I had to do manually were the wires going to the CAN Bus, Illumination/Dimmer, Parking Brake, Reverse and Antenna Control. The original Comand AM/FM antenna needed an adapter for the Kenwood, which was included in the Connects 2 kit.

Initially I was going to install the GPS antenna under the center speaker cover on top of the dashboard, but I was having a real tough time getting it out, so I simply slapped the antenna on top of the radio, since it's magnetic, and put the radio in the dash. Locked it down with the slips and put back the climate control panel, and it's done.

My ML did not have the Harman-Kardon amp, so there was no need for the MOST adapter. The Kenwood drives all the speakers just fine. The only drawback is that the steering wheel phone pick-up and hang-up buttons don't work. The volume up and down works fine, but not the phone.

Obviously the CAN Bus connection is fine since the Volume controls work, but for some reason the phone buttons don't. I'll have to figure out why. Meanwhile I have a modern radio with all the features I wanted, and a bunch I don't need.

Now I need to teach the wife how to use it.

P.S. If anyone is interested I have the Mobridge ABT2010 unit for sale (will be posted in the classifieds section)

Last edited by Dudeman; 04-20-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:07 AM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I'd be surprised if you find a way to make the phone buttons work. Even if the CAN bus adapter recognized them, I am not sure that the Kenwood head unit accepts those as inputs.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
According to Connects, their CAN bus adapter is supposed to support Phone pick-up and hangup on most major head units including the Kenwood.

I already opened a support ticket, and hopefully they'll have an answer for me in the next day or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in