post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 2000 S500 and ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
android radio

I wonder if anyone had installed android radio in ml350 and can share experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 2000 S 500, 2008 ML63 AMG
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritron View Post
I wonder if anyone had installed android radio in ml350 and can share experience.
I have the Avin Avant 2 unit in MY 2008 ML63 and i love it.

Install can be a little daunting if you don't know your way around wires and a soldering iron.
Hardest part i found was finding a Hot on ACC Wire in the cluster i was working on to Turn the unit on.

Also the fit in the dash was rather TIGHT but it fits and looks Like OEM to the untrained eye.

But with a few apps because IMHO the Stock home menu is a little "Limiting" i use CarDashdroid with Tasker set up to open on Boot and its just like having a Android tablet in your dash.
I also have a hot spot dedicated for my car so i can stream Pandora live google maps and You tube if i feel the need with no issues.

It retains the Factory Amp so your Sub/ Harmon kardone system will still sound great (Even better because you can more finely tune the sound profiles through the on board OS. only thing is if you have the HK Sound in your ML you'll need the Adapter which when i bought the unit they had a coupon code for 150 off so it was basically free, But if no HK or Fibre Optics its just Plug and play.

The Mic on board the unit works for BT calling. basically an all in one unit to fix/Replace all the Woes that the Command unit was lacking. There is a realy god Write up on here of the unit Install / Review. Just look up Avin Avant 2 Review and look for the BENZWORLD post and all the info is right there.

Definitely Worth the money
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2165154  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2012 GL 450 4Matic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Me and several others have done the AVIN avant 2. It works well. There are a few DIY's on the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.calton1 View Post
Me and several others have done the AVIN avant 2. It works well. There are a few DIY's on the forum

It's also probably cheaper then adding Sirius xm and Bluetooth to the car. Those kits are expensive and you get it all in one shot here. I stream Sirius xm via my iPhone and it works great.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2019
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One thing that i am wondering is that when you set the time on the Avin Avant 2 does it set the time on the clock on the instrument cluster.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Waring View Post
One thing that i am wondering is that when you set the time on the Avin Avant 2 does it set the time on the clock on the instrument cluster.
I seriously doubt that. While it's possible that AVIN could make its radio send out the proper CAN bus signals to to send the clock data to the ICM, it's not likely. If you do remove COMAND and want to be able to set the ICM clock, you'd need to hook up to SDS and re-code the ICM to "COMAND Present - NO" . That will enable an option on the ICM to manually set the clock via the steering wheel buttons and menus on the MFD.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

You are correct. You are unable to change the clock via the AVIN unit.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I have been changing the dash clock on my 06 ML350 using the MFD settings and the steering wheel buttons. I never used the Comand to set the time. In fact I can't even find an option to sync the clock to the Comand or Navigation.

On my SL550 I was afraid I may have a problem, but in the settings the clock option is NV-SYNC On/Off. Once you turn NAV-SYNC OFF, you can set the time manually using the steering wheel buttons
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 2007 W164 (320CDI 4Tech)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Honestly, this is the single most wanted thing in my car. The stock head unit is so outdated, it's humiliating. I've done my research and I will probably go with the Avin 9" unit.

There's a great install step by step guide, however it looks like it's a easy install. So, that's what I'll probably do first.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2011 ML350 BlueTec, 2008 ML350 4Matic
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I don't have an Android System, but am very happy with the Pioneer AVIC 7201, comes with more stuff than I can list here. It comes with it's own Backup Camera, got Life Traffic GPS Navi, I usually listen to Pandora or from a Flash card. I have that same System in both of my ML's, and as they do cost quite a bit more than Androids, they are well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deadpool.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2504984  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in