AVIN Avant-2 for W164/X164 Installation - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2010 ML350 FORMER: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240, 2001 ML320, 1984 300TD
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
To get the clock to work, you will need to have the ICM (instrument cluster)coded for "COMAND NOT PRESENT". This will enable a menu on the ICM to manually set the clock.

--

- RODNEY

So you want to send me a private message? Please read this first:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Stable:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2011 ML350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There are factory settings you can only access with a password. Have you tried those settings?
post #83 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG, 2006 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondrichlb View Post
There are factory settings you can only access with a password. Have you tried those settings?
I haven't purchased one of thsee units yet, but I think your right. Everything I have read says you need to go through the settings to set the steering wheel buttons to perform the function you want them to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2008 ML320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice.

If you are referring to the factory settings on the Android, yes. I can access the settings with the password but I have had minimal luck. Without a proper manual, i am using my best guess as to how to program the buttons.

The radio looks great installed and the functions that do work, work very well.
post #85 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Wish I had found this thread before pulling the plug. I just bought the 9" for my 2008 ML63, everything is connect and powered up, but there's no sound. There are 2 wires coming out of the most box with one with Ground the other with B+ I'm assuming these are meant to send power signals to wake the amp, does anyone know how to connect this?

The website says I needed to buy a connector to make the backup camera work, but there's no fakra connection to connect to on the unit, does this mean the adapter is useless and I will have to splice the cables?

Factory mic is another thing, not a deal breaker, but the system did not come with a mic, so not sure if it will work with the unit connect.

Any reponse would be most appreciated especially about getting sound out of this thing.
post #86 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymaynard View Post
The backup camera is far too easy a thing to get used to. I'd had one a while back in a 2007 Lexus RX350, and missed it in every vehicle I've had since that hasn't had one. Having one in my ML has been great. Since the initial install of the Avant-2, though, I've had to do without again, so getting that fixed was my highest priority. I'd asked around, and gotten conflicting answers about where it was connected to the COMAND. Finally, @altamonte pointed me in the right direction, and I got it working this evening.

Here's what's left on the block connector to the radio, after the previous steps have been completed. The white and black connectors are actually connectors of their own, locked into the larger shell, just as the MOST fiber was.

Attachment 1469737

Since I was going to have to wire the connector in hard, I first needed an RCA plug to do the wiring with, to plug into the Avant-2's backup camera input. I grabbed an old video cable and cut one end off, stripping it for splicing.

Attachment 1469745

The backup camera video is on the black connector. You can depress the tab and slide it out of the larger shell. The video cable is the one with two wires, at the inner end of the connector as it's installed in the larger shell. I'm holding it here. The white wire is the video signal, and the black one the shield. Wire those to the RCA plug the same way.

Attachment 1469753

I cut the video cable and spliced in the RCA plug and wire I cut earlier. The other end is hanging free; since it's now not connected to anything, this is harmless. If, for some reason, I need to reinstall the COMAND, I can put an RCA jack on the stub of cable, plug it together, and go.

Attachment 1469761

It works! Yay! Now I can see what I'm doing when backing up again.

Attachment 1469769
Ok so I got the reverse camera working using this method which means the $39 spend on the adapter was a total waste.......Thanks for the instructions above OP!!, now to get some sound out of this thing, the amp is not powering yet, I need to figure out how to connect the Ground and B+ wire sticking out of the MOST interface, any thought
post #87 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychubb View Post
Ok so I got the reverse camera working using this method which means the $39 spend on the adapter was a total waste.......Thanks for the instructions above OP!!, now to get some sound out of this thing, the amp is not powering yet, I need to figure out how to connect the Ground and B+ wire sticking out of the MOST interface, any thought
The ground and B+ wire in the MOST adapter power it up. You definitely need those connected or you won't get any sound at all. This is definitely the cause of the issue you are having.

They can be connected to the COMAND wiring harness. I believe pins 13 and 15 but can't remember exactly -- look in this thread for the wiring diagram.

Once you connect those two and the MOST adapter powers up, that should get you properly working audio.
post #88 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
The ground and B+ wire in the MOST adapter power it up. You definitely need those connected or you won't get any sound at all. This is definitely the cause of the issue you are having.

They can be connected to the COMAND wiring harness. I believe pins 13 and 15 but can't remember exactly -- look in this thread for the wiring diagram.

Once you connect those two and the MOST adapter powers up, that should get you properly working audio.
Thanks! I've gone through the entire thread again, no wiring diagram in sight, another thread perhaps?
post #89 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychubb View Post
Thanks! I've gone through the entire thread again, no wiring diagram in sight, another thread perhaps?
Assumed I saw the wiring diagram here, but I guess I was wrong.

Here is the wiring diagram for a 2007/2008 ML or GL but most W164 should be the same.

Use pin 15 for +12V (if your car has no pin 15 then you can use pin 13)

Use pin 12 for Ground
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinout.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	2489602  
post #90 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
Assumed I saw the wiring diagram here, but I guess I was wrong.

Here is the wiring diagram for a 2007/2008 ML or GL but most W164 should be the same.

Use pin 15 for +12V (if your car has no pin 15 then you can use pin 13)

Use pin 12 for Ground
Fantastic! Thanks a lot I will give it a shot in the morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in