BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychubb View Post
Ok so I just tested the RCA audio outputs from the unit and there's no sound coming out of the head unit itself this is quite disappointing because Avin has zero support, the email I sent 4 days ago has not been responded to, even if they were to replace the unit returning this one is jus not plausible as I am too far away and it would cost me half the cost of the unit to send it back.

I have no idea what to do next.
@bhatt still troubleshooting this system to get sound out. I just watched a Youtube video that shows that with merc fibre optics if there is signal passing through a red light must flash on and off at the end of the connector
. Sure enough I went to the car and I could see a red light flashing on the line that connects to the amp, but there was no light flashing from the MOST box digital output side of things, it looks to me like the most box is DOA.

From what I understand now, the most box is simply an analogue audio to digital audio converter and I know for sure that if there is a signal coming from the MOST box it must be visible except it is IR.... I think. What's your take on this because it seems the amp is working and the MOST box is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I think your MOST box is fine, actually. But talk to AVIN to see what they say..

The MOST adapter box just reads light pulses from one fiber and converts to analog audio. It doesn't do anything else, it just repeats that series of pulses down the other fiber (to maintain the ring configuration).

So only one light should flash, I think.

Yes, the MOST box is just a digital-analog adapter. It takes light pulses (from fiber) and converts them to audio (on the RCA cables)
post #103 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
I think your MOST box is fine, actually. But talk to AVIN to see what they say..

The MOST adapter box just reads light pulses from one fiber and converts to analog audio. It doesn't do anything else, it just repeats that series of pulses down the other fiber (to maintain the ring configuration).

So only one light should flash, I think.

Yes, the MOST box is just a digital-analog adapter. It takes light pulses (from fiber) and converts them to audio (on the RCA cables)
From the pictures and email back and forth with Avin it seems the I got the wrong most box for the W164, not sure if its the same across all cars. The one I got has two wires for the power coming out of it, what their website shows and 3 other vendors of the same type of head unit should be 3 wires (by the way all the head units are the same irrespective of the brand name, Avin, Seicane whatever its called).

All most boxes I've seen from other vendors including Avin site have 3 wires Yellow B+, Black Ground and Red ACC. I contacted Avin and they asked me to return it for a replacement and raised an RMA, unfortunately I'm too far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

My instructions said there could be 2 or 3 wires. The box I got for my 2007 GL320 did in fact have 3 wires (black, yellow, red).

So I think you are right.. they sent you the wong box

I'd tell them how far away you are, and how expensive it will be to ship back the box. Maybe they'll work something out for you.

Once had a vendor say "don't send it back, just cut off the power plug and send us a pic". I cut the power plug off and sent a pic, and they sent the new item. I'm pointing this out because maybe you can use this as a last resort with AVIN -- maybe they'll let you smash/destroy the incorrect box and send them a pic

Considering your distance from the US and the fact that they sent you the wrong box, they should really send out a new one at no cost because of the trouble you have been through. Suggest that to them. If not, maybe they'll send it at no cost but you just pay for shipping. Might make everyone happy, doesn't hurt to ask.

These boxes are really small so should fit in a padded envelope. .maybe that is a cheaper way to ship it. I know between Canada/ US you can ship for 1/4 of the price using something called "Small Packet" that has maximum dimensions of a padded envelope. The postal service offers it directly, you just need to meet a certain size. Look at USPS.com and price out a few different ways of shipping to you.. then suggest the cheapest one to them and ask if they'll use it.

Also considering the weight, look at using UPS or DHL or Fedex as they have very fast and reasonably priced "express pak' flat rate envelopes.. they're intended for documents but can hold small items like this fiber converter.

I definitely think you got the wrong box though.. you need the 3 wire one!
post #105 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
My instructions said there could be 2 or 3 wires. The box I got for my 2007 GL320 did in fact have 3 wires (black, yellow, red).

So I think you are right.. they sent you the wong box

I'd tell them how far away you are, and how expensive it will be to ship back the box. Maybe they'll work something out for you.

Once had a vendor say "don't send it back, just cut off the power plug and send us a pic". I cut the power plug off and sent a pic, and they sent the new item. I'm pointing this out because maybe you can use this as a last resort with AVIN -- maybe they'll let you smash/destroy the incorrect box and send them a pic

Considering your distance from the US and the fact that they sent you the wrong box, they should really send out a new one at no cost because of the trouble you have been through. Suggest that to them. If not, maybe they'll send it at no cost but you just pay for shipping. Might make everyone happy, doesn't hurt to ask.

These boxes are really small so should fit in a padded envelope. .maybe that is a cheaper way to ship it. I know between Canada/ US you can ship for 1/4 of the price using something called "Small Packet" that has maximum dimensions of a padded envelope. The postal service offers it directly, you just need to meet a certain size. Look at USPS.com and price out a few different ways of shipping to you.. then suggest the cheapest one to them and ask if they'll use it.

Also considering the weight, look at using UPS or DHL or Fedex as they have very fast and reasonably priced "express pak' flat rate envelopes.. they're intended for documents but can hold small items like this fiber converter.

I definitely think you got the wrong box though.. you need the 3 wire one!
Wow! Wish I knew this before hand, I've ordered a 3 wire one from the UK and will be here in a couple of days. I will still try though in case I decide to get a unit for my other merc. Thanks!
post #106 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Just for future knowledge, I looked up the USPS website to see how much it costs.

From California to Nigeria for example, they offer two international flat rate envelopes

They both come in regular or padded, 9x11 inches (27cm x 33cm approx)
6-10 business days $35 USD
3-5 business days $69 USD

For 35 bucks you can ship anything that fits in that envelope for one flat rate. And delivery in a week or two isn't bad at all!
post #107 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2011 ML350
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Worrell View Post
I have a bit of experience with the AVINUSA devices. They are supposed to be plug and play, sure, I get it. But my experience has been that there is typically one or two head scratching moments - due to lack of documentation for sure. However, Tommy at AVINUSA is almost always available to answer questions - via the chat feature on the AVINUSA website. Additionally you could contact me and perhaps I can help you.
A special note of thanks to Kevin for his instrumental help in finding someone in Hawaii who knows what he is doing. After months of trying to get this unit to work with minimal instructions, Kevin helped me find Daniel Mura who took all of 20 minutes to hook up my unit properly so that the factory FM Antenna, microphone, and backup camera all work. All with the harnesses and adapters supplied or purchased with the unit.

Thanks Kevin. And thanks Daniel.
Kevin Worrell likes this.
post #108 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2011 ML350
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ok, under the heading of NEVER SATISFIED, why is the AM reception not working even tho the FM reception is fine?

When I look at the wiring schematic I don't see any power going to an AM antenna. Is there even a wire going to the head unit for that?
post #109 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Garage
OK so the 3 wire MOST box came in from the UK I connected it up and I have sound right away! It's a shame Avin support is non existent, they choose which email to respond to and which one to leave.

It is a nice unit, very good sound A2DP is great withe HK system, much better sound than before, now the only issue left, everything works except I cannot hear the phone when making a call, the receiver can hear me, I hear every other sound from the phone except when a call is on, no sound.

Any ideas anyone?
post #110 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle: 2009 ML350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FM/AM antenna connection?

I just got one of the 9" units and have everything working except for my FM/AM radio... sounds like Mercedes uses some sort of special antenna setup with a combo of gps/radio?

How have others gotten their radio to work? Sounds like I might need an adapter box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in