AVIN Avant-2 for W164/X164 Installation - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:09 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG, 2006 Mercedes ML350
Location: Canada
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I haven't done one of these swaps yet, but I have been reading about them for some time. So it sounds like installing one of these android head units is fairly simple. They sound plug and play unless you have the hk system. If that's the case you need the most interface adapter which connects via the front speaker output rca on the back of the unit, and you splice in the 12v constant, switched 12v and ground. After that it should be fully operational?

My friend picked one of these up for his forester and his was all plug and play. It's actually the same unit as a lot of people are using for the ml. It's a 9 inch screen with a couple buttons on the left side of the screen. His worked ok out of the box but we have been messing around with a few things on it. We can't seem to get his apple car play to work, and Bluetooth streaming shows the song info but no album artwork and I doesn't let you browse folders. Besides that, it had options in the system menu for setting up the steering wheel controls and it took all of 10 seconds to program them all. His sound quality I better than the stock unit he had in there as well.

His takes about 15 seconds to start up when he turns the vehicle on. The screen is really good quality too actually and works fine when it's -30 Celsius here.

So I'm deciding which unit to go with... the one that looks almost stock with the 7 inch screen, or go no buttons and just get the 9 inch screen. Decisions decisions...
Brettriehl101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:46 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
kaychubb's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Location: Lagos
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
Assumed I saw the wiring diagram here, but I guess I was wrong.

Here is the wiring diagram for a 2007/2008 ML or GL but most W164 should be the same.

Use pin 15 for +12V (if your car has no pin 15 then you can use pin 13)

Use pin 12 for Ground

Howdy, thanks again for the wiring connection, all connected up and tested for 12v with my multimeter and good to go, except still no sound. I may have a faulty amp, I really don't want to go with after market amp and the bother of wiring up all over again.

Any idea how I can test the HK amp? I will cut the carpet and try to pull it out later on today, but before I do that I wanted to know if there was any other way to test that it's the amp and not the MOST interface.

Kay
kaychubb is offline  
post #93 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychubb View Post
Howdy, thanks again for the wiring connection, all connected up and tested for 12v with my multimeter and good to go, except still no sound. I may have a faulty amp, I really don't want to go with after market amp and the bother of wiring up all over again.

Any idea how I can test the HK amp? I will cut the carpet and try to pull it out later on today, but before I do that I wanted to know if there was any other way to test that it's the amp and not the MOST interface.

Kay
Did you have sound before you removed the radio? Easiest way to test the HK amp is put the old radio back in and see what happens. It will be very difficult to test the HK amp otherwise, as you won't know if it is the MOST adapter or amp itself.

If you get sound with the old radio, it is one of 3 things: 1. New radio is not outputting any sound (get a home audio receiver and one speaker, bring to car, and hook up to one of the RCA outputs from the radio. If you get sound, you can rule this out. 2. MOST adapter not working. 3. MOST adapter not connected properly or is not getting power (test w voltmeter)

If you get no sound with the old radio, repair the system (including HK amp) until it works, then swap to the new radio.
bhatt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
kaychubb's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Location: Lagos
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
Did you have sound before you removed the radio? Easiest way to test the HK amp is put the old radio back in and see what happens. It will be very difficult to test the HK amp otherwise, as you won't know if it is the MOST adapter or amp itself.

If you get sound with the old radio, it is one of 3 things: 1. New radio is not outputting any sound (get a home audio receiver and one speaker, bring to car, and hook up to one of the RCA outputs from the radio. If you get sound, you can rule this out. 2. MOST adapter not working. 3. MOST adapter not connected properly or is not getting power (test w voltmeter)

If you get no sound with the old radio, repair the system (including HK amp) until it works, then swap to the new radio.
I had sound up until the comand unit stopped working, this was several months ago as I just planned to go with this Avin unit when I was ready, so its hard to tell if the amp went bust along with the command unit.

I will test the outputs from the Avin tomorrow, everything works though, steering wheel control, mic, bluetooth, reverse camera etc. Pulling the amp is a bit of stress so I will check the output which will narrow things down to the interface and the amp.

Then I will read the interface to see if it is actually passing some power through it and hopefully this will give us one of two things that need to be changed.

It would be a pity though if its the interface or the head unit, Avin has very bad support response and hardly ever respond to emails, this is a shame because the quality of their products seems to be right up there.

Kay
kaychubb is offline  
post #95 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychubb View Post
I had sound up until the comand unit stopped working, this was several months ago as I just planned to go with this Avin unit when I was ready, so its hard to tell if the amp went bust along with the command unit.

I will test the outputs from the Avin tomorrow, everything works though, steering wheel control, mic, bluetooth, reverse camera etc. Pulling the amp is a bit of stress so I will check the output which will narrow things down to the interface and the amp.

Then I will read the interface to see if it is actually passing some power through it and hopefully this will give us one of two things that need to be changed.

It would be a pity though if its the interface or the head unit, Avin has very bad support response and hardly ever respond to emails, this is a shame because the quality of their products seems to be right up there.

Kay
Sounds to me like it is either your HK amp or something related (MOST controller or something). First thing to do is take a voltmeter and make absolutely sure the MOST adapter is getting power.

After that you need to start looking at the HK amp. I haven't priced it out, but I suspect a used HK amp from ebay will be cheaper (and a lot easier!) than buying new amps and rewiring all your speakers.

See if you can get someone to run a DAS scan on your truck and make sure there are no error codes from the MOST bus or HK amps. Maybe your HK amp died entirely and that's why you weren't getting any sound.

Did the old COMAND die completely (ie won't turn on) or did it just stop playing audio? Would be unlikely that the COMAND died and so did the HK amp.. but you never know. I'm assuming your COMAND stopped outputting audio or something, and the problem was actually your HK amp.
bhatt is offline  
post #96 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
kaychubb's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Location: Lagos
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychubb View Post
I had sound up until the comand unit stopped working, this was several months ago as I just planned to go with this Avin unit when I was ready, so its hard to tell if the amp went bust along with the command unit.

I will test the outputs from the Avin tomorrow, everything works though, steering wheel control, mic, bluetooth, reverse camera etc. Pulling the amp is a bit of stress so I will check the output which will narrow things down to the interface and the amp.

Then I will read the interface to see if it is actually passing some power through it and hopefully this will give us one of two things that need to be changed.

It would be a pity though if its the interface or the head unit, Avin has very bad support response and hardly ever respond to emails, this is a shame because the quality of their products seems to be right up there.

Kay
The command unit died completely and wouldn't power on, also started draining my battery which would die in two days if I did't drive it so I pulled the fuse till yesterday when I installed the Avin.

I have an Autel Elite, I will run a diagnostic test tomorrow and see if there are errors from the most/amp and take it from there.

Yes I've seen a couple on ebay, but ebay is hit or miss, if I buy no returns since I'm thousand of miles away, needless to say I've got quite a few parts that can't be returned for all the cars I DIY lying in my shed, never-the-less ebay still is my best option.

Lets see how it goes after I run all the tests you suggested.

kay.
kaychubb is offline  
post #97 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaychubb View Post
The command unit died completely and wouldn't power on, also started draining my battery which would die in two days if I did't drive it so I pulled the fuse till yesterday when I installed the Avin.

I have an Autel Elite, I will run a diagnostic test tomorrow and see if there are errors from the most/amp and take it from there.

Yes I've seen a couple on ebay, but ebay is hit or miss, if I buy no returns since I'm thousand of miles away, needless to say I've got quite a few parts that can't be returned for all the cars I DIY lying in my shed, never-the-less ebay still is my best option.

Lets see how it goes after I run all the tests you suggested.

kay.
Another option rather than ebay is to look at having the amp rebuilt. It is more expensive but still far cheaper than a new amp.

Many of the rebuilders will accept your amp and diagnose it for a fee too. So if it turns out that the amp was not the problem you didn't go through all the expense of having it rebuilt.
bhatt is offline  
post #98 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
kaychubb's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Location: Lagos
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
Another option rather than ebay is to look at having the amp rebuilt. It is more expensive but still far cheaper than a new amp.

Many of the rebuilders will accept your amp and diagnose it for a fee too. So if it turns out that the amp was not the problem you didn't go through all the expense of having it rebuilt.
Again this is not an option that would work because of my location, I'm in Lagos Nigeria. I will check the used parts market, perhaps a W164 or other car thats uses this same amp has been stripped and the amp is just waiting there, I've had some luck with parts there, if that doesn't work I will have to gamble with ebay, that is if the amp is confirmed bust, or even try a local technician that fixes stuff first.....we shall see.
kaychubb is offline  
post #99 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
kaychubb's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Location: Lagos
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatt View Post
Another option rather than ebay is to look at having the amp rebuilt. It is more expensive but still far cheaper than a new amp.

Many of the rebuilders will accept your amp and diagnose it for a fee too. So if it turns out that the amp was not the problem you didn't go through all the expense of having it rebuilt.
Ok so I just tested the RCA audio outputs from the unit and there's no sound coming out of the head unit itself this is quite disappointing because Avin has zero support, the email I sent 4 days ago has not been responded to, even if they were to replace the unit returning this one is jus not plausible as I am too far away and it would cost me half the cost of the unit to send it back.

I have no idea what to do next.
kaychubb is offline  
post #100 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:32 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
kaychubb's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1996 G320 SHORT, 2008 ML63 AMG
Location: Lagos
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Just to update everyone here, Avin finally responded to my email, after checking all connections were OK via a pictorial description I sent (thanks to @bhatt for the help and the OP) I was sent a firmware to update the head unit. After the firmware update I now have sound out of the head unit which was a huge relief as it would have cost me $100 to send it back, Avin was ready to send me a replacement.

Now I still don't have sound in the car which is now narrowed down to two things, a bad MOST box or a bad amplifier. Before I go pulling the amp, does anyone know how I can test that most box to see if it is sending any signals for power and sound?
kaychubb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome