post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 1998 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission fluid change

My wife's ML320 is nearing the 70,000 mile mark and I would like to change the transmission fluid and filter. From past experience with dealerships, I would like to perform this task myself. Has anyone replaced their own fluid on their ML? I realise that removing the pan only drains part of the fluid and that the majority is contained in the torque converter. On other automatic vehicles, I have just drained and refilled the pan multiple times which effectively replaces most of the fluid. However, these cars have not had accessible torque converter drain plugs. I have also read of power flushes which use the transmission cooling lines to replace the fluid but I have also heard numerous horror stories of the power flushes dislodging gunk which then makes its way into the valve body.

I plan on using MB transmission fluid and will buy a new filter and conduction plate. I also know that a dipstick kit has to be purchased in order to check the fluid level. Is there anything else I should consider? Is there a drain plug for the torque converter? If so, how is the converter refilled with fluid since refilling through the dipstick tube just fills the pan?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Transmission fluid change

Quote:
My wife's ML320 is nearing the 70,000 mile mark and I would like to change the transmission fluid and filter. From past experience with dealerships, I would like to perform this task myself. Has anyone replaced their own fluid on their ML? I realise that removing the pan only drains part of the fluid and that the majority is contained in the torque converter. On other automatic vehicles, I have just drained and refilled the pan multiple times which effectively replaces most of the fluid. However, these cars have not had accessible torque converter drain plugs. I have also read of power flushes which use the transmission cooling lines to replace the fluid but I have also heard numerous horror stories of the power flushes dislodging gunk which then makes its way into the valve body.

I plan on using MB transmission fluid and will buy a new filter and conduction plate. I also know that a dipstick kit has to be purchased in order to check the fluid level. Is there anything else I should consider? Is there a drain plug for the torque converter? If so, how is the converter refilled with fluid since refilling through the dipstick tube just fills the pan?

Alex
Alex, it sounds like you have an earlier model Ml320. You'll have to take out the pan and will have to replace the filter. On earlier models, there was a drain plug at the converter - you'll have to look to determine that. There were some small improvement components that have to be installed with the service (for earlier models). There's been a lot of discussion on this and you'll find a whole lot of information <a href="http://www.*****************/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=48754">here</a> and <a href="http://www.*****************/shopforum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=47910&highlight=transm ission"> here</a>. There are more discussions on this and I'll post as I find them. Just make sure to add the new pieces if you have an early model ML. The fluid is very expensive but I believe the service is worth it.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in