2002 ML500 bas esp / esp / abs failure - Mercedes-Benz Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
 
Brian856's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 ML500 bas esp / esp / abs failure

I have had all the warning lights come on sporadically all pointing towards the abs module. The issue im having is when i go to apply the brakes, even a slight tap makes the brakes lock and the car screeches to a halt. Its very scary even happens when ive gone over 50mph. It doesnt do it all the time but does happen here and there so im not driving it. I drive for a living so i took the car into a friends mechanic. He told me he replaced the angle sensor and the clock spring. But the issue hasnt changed or gotten better. Other forums and posts have pointed towards a bad abs module alltogether but said it was expensive.

Is there a way to just disable the whole abs module? Or a way to fix this vehicle instead of paying out the ass for it?? The $600 repair i just got done obviously didnt correct the problem at all. Thank you.
Brian856 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Witek_M's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 6,477
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian856 View Post
I have had all the warning lights come on sporadically all pointing towards the abs module. The issue im having is when i go to apply the brakes, even a slight tap makes the brakes lock and the car screeches to a halt. Its very scary even happens when ive gone over 50mph. It doesnt do it all the time but does happen here and there so im not driving it. I drive for a living so i took the car into a friends mechanic. He told me he replaced the angle sensor and the clock spring. But the issue hasnt changed or gotten better. Other forums and posts have pointed towards a bad abs module alltogether but said it was expensive.

Is there a way to just disable the whole abs module? Or a way to fix this vehicle instead of paying out the ass for it?? The $600 repair i just got done obviously didnt correct the problem at all. Thank you.

Without specific codes from traction system there is no way to determine what is going on.

In a meantime remove relay K25 for ABS pump.
Witek_M is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
dramos's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2015
Vehicle: 2000 ML320 LHD
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to dramos
Get the car scanned with a pro level scanner & post the codes here.

Also update your location & vehicle details on User CP.

Let's start from there.

Last edited by dramos; 07-16-2019 at 06:25 AM.
dramos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
 
Brian856's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramos View Post
Get the car scanned with a pro level scanner & post the codes here.

Also update your location & vehicle details on User CP.

Let's start from there.
I am trying to figure out how to get to the mechanic (mercedes mechanic) and will post.
Brian856 is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Location: Pineywoods Region of East Texas
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Exclamation Remove K25 relay to help your issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian856 View Post
I am trying to figure out how to get to the mechanic (mercedes mechanic) and will post.
Brian:

My w163 did a similar weird thing, besides displaying those warning lights, it would automatically apply a single wheel brake full force, scaring the tar out of me.

Thankfully it was always at less than 20 mph, and just one wheel. But boy oh boy just like Ghost Braking.

My solution was just as Witek said, open underhood relay box, locate relay "K25" and remove it from socket.

This disables ABS pump which SHOULD stop your sudden full force brake application.

Doing this stopped my 'auto braking on 1 wheel'. My situation happened 500 miles from home !

I traced it down via scanning codes to a defective Yaw Sensor (aka Turn Rate Sensor).

Maybe this is your issue, only a scan will tell.

I only found a Yaw Sensor on Ebay, fwiw. MB doesn't offer them anymore but used market supplies them in decent #'s.

Hope this helps.

David in East Texas

Last edited by 2000 E 320 White Wagon; 07-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.
2000 E 320 White Wagon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome