Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

M4 spare tire carrier broken

4K views 48 replies 4 participants last post by  Mercedesfanatic 
#1 ·
Hi, the locking mechanism of this spare tire carrier has snapped probably due to slamming it shut all the time by my entire family and I. I have not been able to figure how to disassemble this mechanism to try and repair it. If anyone has any insight as to the disassembly please let me know!

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, can't visualize what you have in your photos.

Also, I don't recall this M4 carrier being a US ML option.
Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT:

See if this pdf helps you.
(was in my ML misc folder)

Attachments

#3 ·
In the response to khomer2, This car is located in Canada hence the rack exists. The problem is not with the hinge part of the rack but more with the part that locks the rack with with the bumper of the car (photo 2). The mechanism seems to grab the 2 pins that stick out of the bumper via a 2 holes notched into the steel plate of which one had snapped shown in the first post.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-6kyWPZI5OoGegDxGuwMKvGGhgSV7ZZp

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-E87kI4hJjI2u_Pvob4gQ2DXTLlZ2km5

I couldn't see the option to attach files for some reason which is why photos are linked now

#4 ·
I realize this exists in Canada. I should clarify, I dont recall this carrier being offered as a "US market option" and so some (US members may not be familiar with this accessory, but I could be wrong)

perhaps this will help - spare carrier parts list (also verify with MB stealership)

As for disassembly, hopefully a vet member can chime in with a WIS EPC info.

EDIT:

The portion circled in red, I assume this portion is what "clips" into place to attach to the bumper pins?

It looks like part #60 is what needs replacing? (and is removed from the underside of the ss tube post)??

Attachments

#10 ·
I am not familiar with this rack at all but to me the wrench icon looks to indicate to remove part 60 you need to use a wrench on the piece that looks like an allen wrench or the part that is closer to the 102 label and the other line points to? It may be threaded on the end that is into part 60. Once removed you slide out 60 if not rusted in place. I tried to zoom in on it using your photo but without a close up is hard to see.

The previous owner of our 320 was not great at parallel parking. Cracked up both bumpers and the latch to the under body spare carrier. The latch has been discontinued by Mercedes, we found the whole assembly carrier and all at a pick apart for 10$ US.

If you are not aware or for the benefit of others when it is time to change struts ML's with the rear carrier require a different strut then standard due to the change in center of gravity.

#6 ·
yea it seems to the metal within #60 which needs to be replaced. I have tried just sliding #60 out from the bottom but it seems #60 also includes the plastic that surrounds the handle above the circle in the picture. This makes pulling it straight out from the bottom impossible and has me absolutely stumped.

#7 ·
An observation, looking at the exploded view, it seems it's is comprised of several pieces, there is a "wrench" in the view, which seems to mean one is needed to "wrangle" it out thru the bottom (part #60 has to be removed/ inserted from the bottom of the tube). I guess the only way at this point is some "trial and error" method. :|

#8 ·
Just another thought.

You could try finding matching size helicoils and mount them into the holes?... that will "friction fit" over the pins and "click" into place??

#9 ·
That is an idea to use helicoils but since the pins are metal, wouldn't metal to metal friction cause significant wear to both parts causing them to fail? Is there plastic helicoils I haven't heard about maybe?

In response to your previous post, I might have to start butchering the thing later if no one has some instruction set. Thanks for your input though!

#12 ·
That looks to be part #60 - same part # as in post #4.
expensive "fleabay" part.

#13 ·
will agree with others here... i imagine a hex key / allen key or torx will fit into those 2 holes... loosen it up... and slide that inner plastic tube thing to the bottom.

spray some wd40 in there.... do it on a warm day... maybe it would be easier to wrestle with ?

let us know how it works out... !

#18 ·
Nice work amgdvl,

Seeing as you've pretty much dis-assembled your own ML55, this one was well executed. :)
Great share.

Now if Mercedesfanatic can find a reasonably priced replacement part....

#19 ·
The two holes that are might have been bolts are actually rivets that I have already drilled out earlier. I have been able to move the entire #60 up and down slightly in the chrome tube but its caught by the plastic surrounding the latch release handle. That plastic seems to be bonded to #60 and makes pulling #60 downwards impossible (photo 2). I tried turning the release handle to see if I could release it but it just wont budge. The plastic surrounding that handle also impedes any turning movement of the handle to detach it. There are absolutely no other bolts in the surrounding area. #60 itself does not turn on its own either as bit of plastic at the bottom of the chrome tube prevents this action. Oh Mercedes engineers....

Attachments

#20 ·
The two holes that are might have been bolts are actually rivets that I have already drilled out earlier. I have been able to move the entire #60 up and down slightly in the chrome tube but its caught by the plastic surrounding the latch release handle. That plastic seems to be bonded to #60 and makes pulling #60 downwards impossible (photo 2). I tried turning the release handle to see if I could release it but it just wont budge..
So that L shaped piece the wrench point to is the release handle?

Is there any squared off or hex area to place a wrench?

Wonder if it is like a bi fold door, with bifolds there is usually a very thin wrench included to adjust them.

Might be you order the kit and reverse engineer it to see how it is assembled. Never have I seen a Mercedes diagram with a wrench icon! IKEA yes Mercedes no..

Might be wrench is in the parts bag that is pictured in the link I posted?

I have never seen one of those puppies, so can only go by the diagram and photos.

#26 ·
1st... keep trying to wiggle the handle out... either it is slid onto something.... or it is snapped into place EDITED: probably needs a bit of twisting to "pop" out of where it is slotted inside the cylinder (see later posts / pics)

2nd... remove that trim piece... because almost certainly it is "inserted" into the hole on the black cylinder part (careful... i am sure it is brittle)

Attachments

#27 ·
1st... keep trying to wiggle the handle out... either it is slid onto something.... or it is snapped into place

2nd... remove that trim piece... because almost certainly it is "inserted" into the hole on the black cylinder part (careful... i am sure it is brittle)
Better view of handle portion.

Attachments

Reactions: amgdvl
#29 ·
You guys have no idea how much I just screamed in joy with those new photos and views thank you so much. I am have been wiggling and pulling the darn handle for a while but I will give it some more brains and brawn tomorrow. Then that plastic trim will probably come out easy and #60 sliding out the bottom. Thanks again guys for the photo edits and sourcing.

#30 ·
shadow adjustment for clarity

Attachments

#31 ·
Lol... can you clean up my other posts ?!!! :thumbsup:

You guys have no idea how much I just screamed in joy with those new photos and views thank you so much....
we are rooting for you ! :nerd

(ps: so, ...i think the handle will need to twist with pressure so that the "pins" pop out of where they are slotted...so... dont pull the handle straight out... do some kind of twisting thing as you put tension on it)

#32 ·
Mercedes fanatic

I have a couple of questions: Are you the original owner? (was the carrier added by another owner)? you can do a vin check on yours to see if the carrier shows up as an option.

On the carrier do you see a stamped part number anywhere? Mercedes is real good at that if they can they do stamp it.

I ask this because In the US when I look up on a dealers web site for a 2000 ML320 the diagram that comes up for the carrier is totally different it does not show part 60 at all! indicates it is not removable.

It shows the only way of purchasing is to buy the whole carrier frame lock, stock and barrels. which of course is discontinued. 163-890-14-14. Note replaces: 163-890-01-14, 163-890-13-14 same part till 2001

2002 it changes to 163-890-00-10 2002-2005.

Now Canada may be different tried to find a Canada dealer site, but they all wanted a vin number where I could enter the part # came up not found.

But none of the US models showed a carrier with a removable lock! And the later model was $3400.00 US, might as well buy an ml!

I realize you have something rare but might want to consider if all above is correct going under mount? ( of course dual exhaust will prevent this)

Also too note when searching for the lock part number all the sites I found mentioning it where in Europe or mid east, or Africa. might be the Mls were shipped over seas and carrier installed at port or dealer, to save weight and space. Therefore the oversea is different then north America?

Attachments

#33 ·
...I ask this because In the US when I look up on a dealers web site for a 2000 ML320 the diagram that comes up for the carrier is totally different it does not show part 60 at all! indicates it is not removable. ...
Wallyo, it is typical for U.S. versus ROW to only have "complete" parts... that are not individually serviceable ...versus germany, where you can easily and readily buy the individual pins on a wire harness connector. (another example... headlight units typically are sealed, complete units... in germany (for other cars at least) you can buy the glass lens only and replace it if damaged)

Also, USA did not have the external wheel carrier as a build to order option... so it was only available as a complete kit by select dealers. (I believe one in florida has about 10 of them currently).

The fact that the inner black plastic cylinder tube-like thing popped up for sale on a couple of auction sites, and has an individual part number proves the above.

But, regardless of whether his ML came with it... that inner part is damaged, and it is available elsewhere... and it is probably better for him to try and repair it versus paying either $1,500 for a replacement carrier, or $250-350 for just the plastic cylinder insert.

Hope that helps

#37 ·
#39 ·
Hey wallyo, the car has been with my family since day one. It was actually a car that the dealer used for test drives meaning it had every option except the really big open roof albeit we uninstalled a few of them through the dealer to decrease cost. I managed to find some numbers on the rack but its very hard to read due to not being etched but rather stamped. Even the readable numbers dont produce a A163 number which is weird. One thing is for certain that this rack is made in Canada and a number says 03 08 14 99. Ill attach a photo.

#40 ·
Alright thanks to you all, I have managed to remove part #60. First, I pulled handle as hard as I could but found that my strength was not enough so I ended up using a prybar between the handle and rack tube. As seen in picture #, the handle was a interference fit hence the prybar was needed to defeat it. No twisting motion is needed and the plastic trim prevents side to side movement so just straight out.

Next the trim of the handle comes out with a bit of prying around the edges. It seemed to want to follow the handle as the handle came out. It will split into two pieces and should be removed at this stage.

Picture 1

The handle is now caught by the mechanism that it manipulates and needs to be wriggled around the steel hook there to come out.

Picture 2

I ensure that the 2 rivets around the second locking hole are drilled out. Then I proceed to pry down on #60 through any of the holes and tug fro the bottom to remove it. It was a pretty tight fit but it will come out.

Picture 3

And there you have it. Better photos than ebay.

I will now disassemble it and try to replace the snapped steel.

Attachments

#43 ·
Alright thanks to you all, I have managed to remove part #60....I will now disassemble it and try to replace the snapped steel.
That's Awesome ! Congrats ! and Thanks for posting pictures to this site. PS: I was ready to contribute $$ towards your purchase of a new cylinder thing if it broke .... because... why not? Glad you got this far !

It took a village but you got it done, good work! Good job everyone.
Amazing how many of us jumped in on this ! I dont even have that spare tire carrier..... yet. :thumbsup:

#41 ·
Spring loaded catches. Looks like this can be repaired back for reuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.