post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: Ex 97 S202 C200 + 02 W163 ML320 + 05 A209 CLK500 + 2011 B8 S4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Catalytic converter replacement cost

Sorry - on the run and on my phone only. Is $520 for one side or $1100 for both realistic? Does it make sense for both to be twice as expensive in regards to similar steps required? They quoted $170 per part and around $300 labor.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRothaus View Post
Sorry - on the run and on my phone only. Is $520 for one side or $1100 for both realistic? Does it make sense for both to be twice as expensive in regards to similar steps required? They quoted $170 per part and around $300 labor.

Thanks
Ouch! Is it that much? for cats?
Ive never had to deal with cat replacements. Any use looking for used ones (pre-owned)?

And more than double for two? What type of shop charges like this?
(self-reply....A: A shop thats got you by the gonads if you pay)
I'd haggle, but that's just me.

Others chime in please with your experience and knowledge.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:01 PM
Motivational Poster

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wow, thatís expensive. I need to dig out my bill when I had mine done. I eliminated the secondaries and replaced primaries. I think they were 60 to 80 each and about $120 labor. But, California probably wonít let you eliminate your secondaries.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 ē 722.671 Rest in Peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, turns out that the guy from the shop who called earlier didn't really look into it.
It's now ~$780 for both sides.

To backfill the story a little bit - I had a code for my driver side cat come through occasionally and you could tell by looking at the O2 sensor diagram that it wasn't doing its job anymore. Not having any other symptoms I figured it was a good idea to tow my 209 on a U-Haul trailer from LA to Seattle. After passing the grapevine (2nd highest spot on I5) the car smelled wonderful - in retrospect probably like melting catalyst.
I've had an ever worsening lack of power develop since and in climbing to the highest spot of the I5 in NorCal / Oregon it got pretty bad to a point where I'd get misfires on the entire left bank north of 4k RPMs. Luckily I made it to Seattle but now driving even without a trailer has become fairly painful.

The driver side cat tested with 4PSI back pressure, the passenger side with 1PSI (so the shop said) - we shall see if she gains all her power back after they're replaced.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRothaus View Post
Well, turns out that the guy from the shop who called earlier didn't really look into it.
It's now ~$780 for both sides...
He's a fisherman by trade who works as a mechanic.
Moonlighter...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Exclamation Thoughts on Cat fixes / deletion options....

DarkRothaus:

A quick 'word to the wise':

I have a theory: Rear cats can get clogged sooner & then cause issues with fronts.

That's cause the rears are 'unmonitored', meaning no O2 sensors to give feedback if they clog.

My rears clogged, then Pass front breaks a weld, probably from overheating due to clogged rear.

Solution was 'delete rear Cats' $ 50 per side, and weld up / repair Pass front for $ 80.

Now, If you're in Calfornia or other emission inspection crazy state, a rear cat delete MAY not be allowed, but I'd sure check.

Here in Texas they don't care about that stuff, but we owners want efficient clean running engines.

My ML500 is now running way better with less backpressure....all my valve cover gasket seepage stopped cold.

Hope this helps some...

David in East Texas

Last edited by 2000 E 320 White Wagon; 06-27-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clairty
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 E 320 White Wagon View Post
DarkRothaus:

A quick 'word to the wise':

I have a theory: Rear cats can get clogged sooner & then cause issues with fronts.

That's cause the rears are 'unmonitored', meaning no O2 sensors to give feedback if they clog.

My rears clogged, then Pass front breaks a weld, probably from overheating due to clogged rear.

Solution was 'delete rear Cats' $ 50 per side, and weld up / repair Pass front for $ 80.

Now, If you're in Calfornia or other emission inspection crazy state, a rear cat delete MAY not be allowed, but I'd sure check.

Here in Texas they don't care about that stuff, but we owners want efficient clean running engines.

My ML500 is now running way better with less backpressure....all my valve cover gasket seepage stopped cold.

Hope this helps some...

David in East Texas

You know... that's kind of the call I received today... upon closer inspection, turns out the secondary is also shot.
Looks like in this case the primary vomited into the secondary... but I guess it's hard to tell at this point what was cause and what was result.

Re your emission comment, it probably doesn't help that I'm in the process of moving from emission-CA to emission-WA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in