Copycat - Muffler upgrade ML500 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Copycat - Muffler upgrade ML500

Being a lazy Monday, I met up at my neighbors shop this late morning. (Monday mornings usually busy for him but today was quiet...) and did a copycat of what David did here

Put my rusty welding skills to work in his shop (made sure I had my safety boots/googles on and coveralls)
(And please don't laugh or ridicule me too hard for my welds. May not look like much but they work fine and hey, it's my dream,
so go get your own dream)

Oem muffler removal was easy. My favorite tool for most things - the sawzall.

Took me about 45mins to complete the job. The owner (my neighbor), he just stood there drinking coffee, watching my pre-apprentice welding skills, looking busy and trying to hold back his laughter.
Not much help although he did open up the new muffler ends for me and cut the splicing tubes.
Tested for leaks. Done.

Happy with the results and the muffler growl, as David mentions and shows in his video, is nice.

Thanks David for your post. Helped immensely in my diy muffler swap (with my purdy welding skills).

Onto the coilovers, once the bloody parts are in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	massive old.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	2519310   Click image for larger version

Name:	sawzallismy favtool.jpg
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	2519312   Click image for larger version

Name:	massive old out.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	2519314   Click image for larger version

Name:	me fuglywelds.jpg
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	2519316   Click image for larger version

Name:	done.jpg
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	2519318  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You should of got rid of that resonator behind your new muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
art_arev likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Great job & a couple of thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khomer2 View Post
Being a lazy Monday, I met up at my neighbors shop this late morning. (Monday mornings usually busy for him but today was quiet...) and did a copycat of what David did here

Put my rusty welding skills to work in his shop (made sure I had my safety boots/googles on and coveralls)
(And please don't laugh or ridicule me too hard for my welds. May not look like much but they work fine and hey, it's my dream,
so go get your own dream)

Oem muffler removal was easy. My favorite tool for most things - the sawzall.

Took me about 45mins to complete the job. The owner (my neighbor), he just stood there drinking coffee, watching my pre-apprentice welding skills, looking busy and trying to hold back his laughter.
Not much help although he did open up the new muffler ends for me and cut the splicing tubes.
Tested for leaks. Done.

Happy with the results and the muffler growl, as David mentions and shows in his video, is nice.

Thanks David for your post. Helped immensely in my diy muffler swap (with my purdy welding skills).

Onto the coilovers, once the bloody parts are in.

Khomer2:

Very nice job !

Welds look fine, too.

Looks like you got the same muffler, the Rumble one I used - correct ?

Do you still have your 2nd set of rear Cats ?

As much as I respect Matt's advice, all I can add is:

IF your 2nd Cats are gone (as mine are & were...) ditching the resonator MAY make more drone than you or your wife or passengers like.

It did for me. But I was committed to keeping the 2nd Cats gone, because in my case they were partially plugged for sure.

The thing Matt or others may not appreciate if they don't have the Rumble muffler in hand and do a direct comparison to the oem factory muffler, is just how minimalist of a piece it is.

Weight wise, we're talking:

12# versus 40# + so you are loosing serious sound deadening mass.

Right now, it's loud enough that if my wife learned how to weld, or who to hire, I'd find the ML back to stock by dinner time.

So, careful on the noise factor.

I just moderated the Comments on my Youtube for this topic and one commentor replicated my exact setup and thought it was too loud, then had to change it back to the tune of $400.

I felt bad for him, but I think he did things in one fell swoop, when exhaust changes are best & safest done incrementally as possible.

Just sayin....

Khomer let us know what changes pro or con you observe in the ML's overall operation ok ?

I'm gratified & amazed that my Youtube video on this now has 2400 views in just the short year it's been up & appears to be ranked 2nd for ML exhaust videos.

For fun, I added a Poll feature to find out what Mercedes Forums people are subscribed to on the video.

For any who want to watch (or re-watch) it, please take a moment to click the "Benzworld.org" button when the poll comes up.

You don't have to wait tho, just hit the little round "I" button that appears top right when you mouse over the video controls, that makes the poll panel pop out.

Right here:

Cheers - David in East Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattml430 View Post
You should of got rid of that resonator behind your new muffler.

Matt,
Cheers on the suggestion.

I need it, otherwise I get droning issues. David discussed this in his thread, had the same issue with his install (same muffler) where he removed it and ended up putting it back in place. (he posted a video of his too on this).
My neighbor also confirmed this (he's done quite a few muffler swaps himself) yesterday when I was cutting the dead weight out.
mattml430 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 E 320 White Wagon View Post
Khomer2:

Very nice job !

Welds look fine, too.

Looks like you got the same muffler, the Rumble one I used - correct ?

Do you still have your 2nd set of rear Cats ?

As much as I respect Matt's advice, all I can add is:

IF your 2nd Cats are gone (as mine are & were...) ditching the resonator MAY make more drone than you or your wife or passengers like.

It did for me. But I was committed to keeping the 2nd Cats gone, because in my case they were partially plugged for sure.

The thing Matt or others may not appreciate if they don't have the Rumble muffler in hand and do a direct comparison to the oem factory muffler, is just how minimalist of a piece it is.

Weight wise, we're talking:

12# versus 40# + so you are loosing serious sound deadening mass.

Right now, it's loud enough that if my wife learned how to weld, or who to hire, I'd find the ML back to stock by dinner time.

So, careful on the noise factor.

I just moderated the Comments on my Youtube for this topic and one commentor replicated my exact setup and thought it was too loud, then had to change it back to the tune of $400.

I felt bad for him, but I think he did things in one fell swoop, when exhaust changes are best & safest done incrementally as possible.

Just sayin....

Khomer let us know what changes pro or con you observe in the ML's overall operation ok ?

Cheers - David in East Texas
Thanks for chiming in David for a better explanation.

Yes, same muffler (and you cant beat the $).
It's got a nice growl to it outside.

I drove it around town for a bit and of course, put some lead to the pedal here and there on some good stretches of road. There is certainly a nice growl in the cabin on acceleration. Night and day difference compared to the oem massive muffler. Nothing instrusive. Cruising... you can still hear it (but with tunes, not an issue). Coasting.....not even noticeable.

What I am going to do is apply some sound deadening roll (I have left over from using it in the E50). Gotta make good use of this stuff is my excuse. I figure this would be ideal.
Not sure where just yet, but I pondering on the heat shield itself - small area above the new muffler? Suggestions?

I'll keep everyone posted on results of this swap.

Can't let my daughter know about this swap otherwise she's gonna want an muffler upgrade on her ML430.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Garage
This is great information, guys. Thanks!

I recently acquired a 2002 ML500, and while working underneath I was in awe of the massive muffler - I also was concerned about the cost of replacement when and if the time comes.

Knowing there's an adequate aftermarket replacement for minor $$ is great to know.

Dan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
This is great information, guys. Thanks!

I recently acquired a 2002 ML500, and while working underneath I was in awe of the massive muffler - I also was concerned about the cost of replacement when and if the time comes.

Knowing there's an adequate aftermarket replacement for minor $$ is great to know.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Personally, the oem muffler was perfectly fine, however just alot of dead weight vs. the replacement.
I was excited when David went ahead and did this swap. Saved alot of time doing the research on what to choose. Cheap light weight muffler, sawzall, great neighbors lift at his shop, passable welding skills.... replacing it was the only option.

As for the installation cost (and labors not cheap up here), I figure for minimal parts and labor (excluding the muffler) at most retail ~$180-200 (~$135-140usd)

A bbq treat with his family here this weekend... beats paying that out that money alone when you can get good company and good food and beer instead.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by khomer2 View Post
Matt,

Cheers on the suggestion.

I need it, otherwise I get droning issues. David discussed this in his thread, had the same issue with his install (same muffler) where he removed it and ended up putting it back in place. (he posted a video of his too on this).

My neighbor also confirmed this (he's done quite a few muffler swaps himself) yesterday when I was cutting the dead weight out.

Fair enough if it drones without it. It was the first thing I got rid of with the rear cats when I did mine. I eventually built a complete 3 twin s/steel mandrel system rite through to a rear muffler which I built as well. It was a huge job but well worth it. No drone with that at all.

Noodles and khomer2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in